DIAL HOUSE WORKING MANS CLUB

Sheffield History

I was a membert of Hillsborough Social Club aka T'Oakland Road Club from 1968 when my Dad joined me on my 18th birthday. They used to have live acts on at the weekends, tombola on weeknights and Strippers every sunday dinnertime. As I was an affiliated member it meant that I could visit any other affiliated WMC and so I spent most of my time at the Dial House club cos they had a snooker room with lots of tables................

The turns at the Dial were usually well known and of a high quality, to see for free.....no charges in those days. I remember the old boy that used to sit in the compere's box with his bell, introducing the acts.

Over the years I have seen live at DHC:

Marti Caine

Les Dawson

Bernard Manning

Duggie Brown

Tony White plus 100s of other comics

The Discoes aka previously The 4 Mimes

The Gutter Band

Magic

Green Carnation ( Mick Dale RIP)

Quince Harmon ( Became the New Jersey Turnpike)

John Parr

Frank White x100s

Sludges band...(Can't remeber their name, but they were on New Faces)

Tony Christie

Anita Allen and Turnstyle

and many, many more.

Sadly...it stopped being specifically a WMC ( as did many others), they started charging more for the beer and also for the turns.....and now, of course, it is consigned to the scrapheap of history.

You ought to start a Mucky Duck/Boardwalk thread....now there's another story

There's plenty of work going on at the Dial House at the moment

We nipped up to capture the current state of the building

post-1-1171994984.jpg

post-1-1171995656.jpg

The dial reads:

Of shade and sunshine for each hour

See here a measure made

Then wonder not if life consists

Of sunshine and of shade

post-1-1171994937.jpg

post-1-1171995184.jpg

post-1-1171994769.jpg

post-1-1171994823.jpg

post-1-1171995027.jpg

post-1-1171994888.jpg

post-1-1171995104.jpg

post-1-1171995227.jpg

loxley_095.jpg

loxley_096.jpg

loxley_098.jpg

loxley_101.jpg

loxley_102.jpg

loxley_105.jpg

loxley_108.jpg

loxley_114.jpg

loxley_117.jpg

dial.jpg

Guest coffee cup

When I was at School, a Girl in my class used to live at the Dial, her dad was the landlord, he later (much later ) had the shoulder of Mutton at worrall.

The photos don't seem to quite cover it - is the horse trough still there on the little island opposite the club ? Not been up that way for years but I grew up on Ben Lane and walked past it regularly on my way to the park.

Ah... good point

I have always not checked - I'll have a look for you as it's not far from me..

Guest nosy nellie

Surely there must be some golden girls and boys that remember Friday night dances

at the Dial House.Some of us went for years and years religiously.

Live band for the proper dancers,and some Rock and Roll,the Progresive Barn dance.

Men all stood on one side of the room wondering who they were going to pick out for the last waltz.Whoe;s taking you home tonight.At it;s most popular time coach trips would come from all over south yorkshire.

Guest coffee cup

Yes it is Lee Ripley, she also has a younger brother, but I can't remember his name.

me neither the memory isnt as good as it used to be. i was in the same year as her too. lol

New Years Eve was always good in the Dial.

My brothers were both weekly visitors until it's demise. I can't image what they do on Saturday nights now!

Does anyone have any history about the place before it became a club? What is going to happen to the building now? :(

Info on Picture Sheffield says at the time the photo was taken (no date given) the house was owned by A.J.Blanchard, Draper. Blanchards of Infirmary Road fame perhaps? Will try and find more about Coopland.

tsavo said:

Info on Picture Sheffield says at the time the photo was taken (no date given) the house was owned by A.J.Blanchard, Draper. Blanchards of Infirmary Road fame perhaps? Will try and find more about Coopland.

Additional info from the Sheffield Directory of 1856, the occupiers were: John Sherwood Roberts, Surgeon and Sidney Roberts, Gentleman. Sounds like the younger son (John Robert) had to earn his living, while the elder (Sidney) worked hard at doing nothing much! Neither appear in the earlier 1833 directory. Neither does Dial House.

I'm beginning to think that the name Coopland on the sundial is the makers name, not the owner of the house.

The 1881 Directory gives William Haden, a miller of the Old Park Mill, Old Park Road, Sheffield

By 1905 the house was owned by John Dronfield Tricket, no occupation given.

Additional info from the Sheffield Directory of 1856, the occupiers were: John Sherwood Roberts, Surgeon and Sidney Roberts, Gentleman. Sounds like the younger son (John Robert) had to earn his living, while the elder (Sidney) worked hard at doing nothing much! Neither appear in the earlier 1833 directory. Neither does Dial House.

I'm beginning to think that the name Coopland on the sundial is the makers name, not the owner of the house.

The 1881 Directory gives William Haden, a miller of the Old Park Mill, Old Park Road, Sheffield

Thanks Tsavo, It would be a real shame for it to go the way of many other historical buildings and be demolished because it becomes unsafe, I cannot find any mention in the listed buildings register so maybe we should contact someone about the possibility??

If common sense prevailed, whoever allows a building to get into an 'unsafe' condition, should be responsible for re-instating it to its previous condition. If only I ruled the world, etc. :rolleyes::rolleyes: :rolleyes:

There are a family of Coopland's living at the smithy at Far Lane Wadsley in the 1841 census, they are listed as Sissorsmiths, there is no other Coopland family listed as living in Sheffield at this time and there is a record of a John Coopland being baptised at Ecclesfield Church in 1764??

Guest kazads

Thanks Tsavo, It would be a real shame for it to go the way of many other historical buildings and be demolished because it becomes unsafe, I cannot find any mention in the listed buildings register so maybe we should contact someone about the possibility??

the front part where the sundial is situated is listed the rest isnt .so i am led to believe and they are supposed to be making that part into apartments ... but who knows when?

View from "the Blimp" ....

John HUNT Dial House, Wadsley Kelly's 1893

Arthur James BLANCHARD Draper (Blanchards Ltd.) h. Dial House, Far Lane, Wadsley White's 1911

John W HEMMINGS Director (Hemmings & Co, Ltd.) h. Dial House, Far Lane, Hillsborough White's 1919

John W HEMMINGS Director (Hemmings Ltd) h. Dial House, Far Lane, Wadsley Kelly's 1925

There are a family of Coopland's living at the smithy at Far Lane Wadsley in the 1841 census, they are listed as Sissorsmiths, there is no other Coopland family listed as living in Sheffield at this time and there is a record of a John Coopland being baptised at Ecclesfield Church in 1764??

I think that just about sorts things out then. Presumably the smithy was attached to the house or grounds and we can assume (?) that the house was built for them. Unless of course the sundial was fitted retrospectively! But that's another matter.....

Found this in my grandmother's stuff dated 1957

In 1841 William Rotherham, gentleman was living at Dial House, which was also the home of Sidney Roberts gentleman, in 1845.He was succeeded about 1856 by John Shearwood Roberts, Surgeon. Mrs Sarah Roberts continued to live there following the death of her husband and in 1868 she was followed by Captain Henry T Holmes. In 1871 William Haden , Corn Miller, of the Old Park Mill made it his home. He later became a Chuchwarden of Wadsley Parish Church his wife continued to live there after his death. In 1890 John Hunt, Managing Director, followed, he in turn was succeeded in 1896 by Dronfield Trickett who lived there until 1910. The next occupant was A.J.Blanchard, the draper, a founder of Blanchards Limited of Infirmary Road. He lived until the ripe old age of 88 and died in 1957, he was elected Lord Mayor in 1923 and in 1930 was made leader of what was then The Municipal Progressive Party.

In 1919 he left Dial House and was succeeded by John Woodcock Hemmings, a director of Hemmings & Co.Ltd. He lived there until 1932 when Dial House became a Working Mens Club.

1881 blurb

HADEN William M 63 M Head Swinton, York, England Corn Miller Employing 8 Men Far Lane Dial House Ecclesfield

HADEN Sarah A. F 53 M Wife Sheffield, York, England Corn Miller Employing 8 Men Far Lane Dial House Ecclesfield

HADEN John M. M 28 U Son Sheffield, York, England Corn Miller Employing 8 Men Far Lane Dial House Ecclesfield

HADEN Catherine F 21 U Daur Sheffield, York, England Corn Miller Employing 8 Men Far Lane Dial House Ecclesfield

HADEN Fanny F 19 U Daur Sheffield, York, England Corn Miller Employing 8 Men Far Lane Dial House Ecclesfield

COOPER Sarah Ann F 19 U Serv Sheffield, York, England (Dom) Far Lane Dial House Ecclesfield

CUTTS Mary Ann F 17 U Serv Rotherham, York, England (Dom) Far Lane Dial House Ecclesfield