The Sheffield Model Dairy, Sandygate

Guest julie jules

Guest julie jules

hi,

i have a jersey cream jar what i found on an old victorian tip in sheffield.it is about 4 inches tall and the shape of a ginger jar.it is made of pot and is cream coloured.

on it is the logo:-

jersey cream

from

the sheffield model dairy ltd.

sandygate

has anyone any information about the dairy it was from please?

Hello and Welcome to the site. Thanks for your query.

Not much information, but, it's a start :

Sheffield Model Dairy Limited, Sandygate Road (White's 1919) - can anyone find an earlier date ?

Hello and Welcome to the site. Thanks for your query.

Not much information, but, it's a start :

Sheffield Model Dairy Limited, Sandygate Road (White's 1919) - can anyone find an earlier date ?

I wonder if the Sheffield Model Dairy on Sandygate Road is the same one as later became Marsdens, behind The Plough Inn (as seen on Map 285 labelled Ice Cream Factory?)

I wonder if the Sheffield Model Dairy on Sandygate Road is the same one as later became Marsdens, behind The Plough Inn (as seen on Map 285 labelled Ice Cream Factory?)

Another one I couldn't find - even if you gave me the taxi fare ...

Guest julie jules

Another one I couldn't find - even if you gave me the taxi fare ...

thanks richard,

i might ask a relation who used to live up that way

The buildings were taken over by Sandygate Motors at some point - a garage that was mentioned in a book by Morecambe & Wise on their very early travels.

That will be right.

It was still an ice cream factory around 1966 because for a short time a friend of mine lived in the house at the front. His parents were caretakers of some sort.

hi,

i have a jersey cream jar what i found on an old victorian tip in sheffield.it is about 4 inches tall and the shape of a ginger jar.it is made of pot and is cream coloured.

on it is the logo:-

jersey cream

from

the sheffield model dairy ltd.

sandygate

has anyone any information about the dairy it was from please?

Well they were around in 1901 ... Company number 72279; and 1903 76949

Guest julie jules

Well they were around in 1901 ... Company number 72279; and 1903 76949

thanks for all the info..lots of info of after the dairy ..i,m still no wiser about the dairy!!

The Model Dairy was maybe 50 yards down Coldwell Lane, on the left, going away from the junction with Sandygate Road. There were several buildings to it, but when I was a boy (1970s), the building next to the pavement had huge windows and we used to look inside everytime we passed - it seemed to have lots of redundant electrical parts in it, possibly broken up TVs and radios, never anyone about. It now appears to be a private house.

The Dairy was built by one of the Leng family, newspaper magnates, who wanted to apply modern (Canadian) dairy farming methods, so built his Model Dairy. It was part of his Towers estate - the main building was put up in 1896 I think -it's not on the 1893 map but does appear on the 1905 map (attached). The Lodge (which is the building that looks very fairytale, in the same style as the Towers and is on the corner of Coldwell Lane and Sandygate Road was not on the 1905 map but does show up on the 1923 map, so may have been put up after the main building. The Dairy is on the map of 1905. I believe that the site of the model dairy and Sandygate plantation had previously been a pleasure ground with a castellated building called the roundabout, laid out by George Hawke Woollen the miller at the Rivelin Corn Mill.

Regards,

Ted

do you know the date of this photo please

Sorry ON12, no date on it.

There is another photo of a Model Dairy horse and milk cart somewhere on the site,

I will try and locate it.

There is another photo of a Model Dairy horse and milk cart somewhere on the site,

I will try and locate it.

Found it !

The image was posted by 'syrup'

On 25/10/2009 at 21:50, vox said:

That will be right.

It was still an ice cream factory around 1966 because for a short time a friend of mine lived in the house at the front. His parents were caretakers of some sort.

I lived there?  Steve Butler.  steve@butler.direct if you want to make yourself known.

On 25/10/2009 at 21:50, vox said:

That will be right.

I lived there.  Steve Butler  steve@butler.direct