Blackshaw, Hill, Wildgoose, Gorman, Hukin.

Blacky

Hi,

I am currently researching my family history and wonder if the above surnames are familiar to anyone and in particular the below:

William Blackshaw (1876 - 1910) He worked on the railways and according to the Sheffield Indexers was killed on line at Woodhouse in 1910. Ive visited the city library and couldnt find anything relating to this accident in the local press of the time. Does this ring any bells to anyone?

WWI Soldiers:

Albert Wildgoose (1896 - 1955?) Its believed that Albert served with the Yorks & Lancs and survived the war. although he was apparently wounbded and lived out the remainder of his years at the painted fabrics at meadowhead. i have found a medal card for an Albert Wildgoose who was a private in the Y&L 12969 but cant find anything else on him to confirm that this is my man.

Walter Wildgoose (1884 - 1917) Ive found a match for Walter on Ancestry stating that he died on the Somme on 18 Feb 1917 but cant find any further service history.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Lee.

The reports of the accident to William Blackshaw are there in the newspapers. It can take a bit of practice to get a feel of where in the papers some topics are covered.

Sheffield Daily Independent 25 Jan 1910 page 3 column e

I also have a news report and an inquest report from the Sheffield Daily Telegraph but these are poorer photocopies. If you can PM me an email address I will send the scans to you. In the Telegraph they call him William BLAGSHAW.

Hugh

Hi HughW,

Thanks so much for your help with this. All I could find was news of the general election when i was scanning through the papers. things like this really put the meat on the bones. all well and good having names & birth dates etc but this helps a lot to understand what happened in peoples lives.

Thanks again. I will PM for the other scans if you dont mind!

Kind Regards,

Lee.

Reference...Walter WILDGOOSE..was he married to Ethel GOODISON.

Marlene on the Sheffield Indexers has his service records as I got them for her from Kew.

Angela

Walter Wildgoose (1884 - 1917) Ive found a match for Walter on Ancestry stating that he died on the Somme on 18 Feb 1917 but cant find any further service history.

Doesn't help that Ancestry have him as Walker Wildgoose.

Is this Walter ?

Name: WILDGOOSE, WALTER

Initials: W

Nationality: United Kingdom

Rank: Rifleman Regiment/Service: King's Royal Rifle Corps

Unit Text: 1st Bn.

Date of Death: 18/02/1917

Service No: 5747

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Pier and Face 13 A and 13 B.

Memorial: THIEPVAL MEMORIAL

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...casualty=821561

Guest Marlene

Hi,

I am currently researching my family history and wonder if the above surnames are familiar to anyone and in particular the below:

William Blackshaw (1876 - 1910) He worked on the railways and according to the Sheffield Indexers was killed on line at Woodhouse in 1910. Ive visited the city library and couldnt find anything relating to this accident in the local press of the time. Does this ring any bells to anyone?

WWI Soldiers:

Albert Wildgoose (1896 - 1955?) Its believed that Albert served with the Yorks & Lancs and survived the war. although he was apparently wounbded and lived out the remainder of his years at the painted fabrics at meadowhead. i have found a medal card for an Albert Wildgoose who was a private in the Y&L 12969 but cant find anything else on him to confirm that this is my man.

Thanks,

Lee.

I can certainly help you with your research regarding Walter WILDGOOSE as he was my grandmother's husband. I've done a fair amount of research on Walter and I have his Service Records kindly obtained by Angela.

Hi,

WWI Soldiers:

Thanks,

Lee.

Quote merged into post

Hi,

WWI Soldiers:

Thanks,

Lee.

Lee

Walter Wildgoose is a relative of mine, I have visited his memorial at Thiepval. write tome at scholefieldj@yahoo.co.uk and we'll see if we can tie things up

John Scholefield

Just seen this and Walter Wildgoose jumped out at me. A distant relative I visited his memorial at Thiepval on the Somme. He was brother in law to my great Uncle Arnold Foster who also died on Somme battlefield, also commemorated at Thiepval. Need to check its same Walter. You can contact me on Scholefieldj@yahoo.co.uk if you wish