Sheffield Supertram

Stuart0742

Clips from 1994 Commissioning Trips

<OBJECT height=364 width=445><PARAM NAME="movie" VALUE="

NAME="allowFullScreen" VALUE="true"><PARAM NAME="allowscriptaccess" VALUE="always"><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></OBJECT>

Clips from 1994 Commissioning Trips

Now I would love to see the 1974 promotional film that introduced the idea of the Supertram when the idea was first considered.

It showed scenes of Sheffield streets along the proposed route with this moving green trail to represent the as yet unknown design of the Supertram.

There are scenes of this green trail moving up City Road and through the Norfolk Park Estate (remember all 1974 vintage, so would just love to see it for that)

In one scene, the green trail (Supertram) leaves the road and cuts across a field heading for a gap in the hedge, it goes through the gap and changes direction slightly up a slight hill in the next field.

This scene kept me guessing where it was for 20 years until the Supertram was finally built and the animated simulation became a reality.

It was the section on the way out to halfway just beyond the Old Harrow pub where the tram leaves Whites Lane and cuts over the fields to its next stop at Birley.

I originally saw this film on Calendar News on Yorkshire TV, but if it exists in the public domain and on the Internet I would love to see it here.

Now I would love to see the 1974 promotional film that introduced the idea of the Supertram when the idea was first considered.

It showed scenes of Sheffield streets along the proposed route with this moving green trail to represent the as yet unknown design of the Supertram.

There are scenes of this green trail moving up City Road and through the Norfolk Park Estate (remember all 1974 vintage, so would just love to see it for that)

In one scene, the green trail (Supertram) leaves the road and cuts across a field heading for a gap in the hedge, it goes through the gap and changes direction slightly up a slight hill in the next field.

This scene kept me guessing where it was for 20 years until the Supertram was finally built and the animated simulation became a reality.

It was the section on the way out to halfway just beyond the Old Harrow pub where the tram leaves Whites Lane and cuts over the fields to its next stop at Birley.

I originally saw this film on Calendar News on Yorkshire TV, but if it exists in the public domain and on the Internet I would love to see it here.

Correction to my previous post, - memory going with age.

I distinctly remember seeing the tram portrayed as this GREEN moving marker

How do I know that? We only had a blck & white TV in 1974 so it must have been later, after 1977 in fact

So now I am guessing at late 70's or possibly early 80's

So if anyone is searching for this clip please don't go on my dates.

How do I know that? We only had a blck & white TV in 1974 so it must have been later, after 1977 in fact

Green? - the trams have been grey, predominantly white and predominantly blue, but surely they have never been green biggrin.gif

Seriously, I would like to see the film as well - I wonder if there are any differences between the route on the film and what actually happened. Looking through the South Yorkshire Light Rail Transit Act 1988, which covered the Middlewood/Malin Bridge to Halfway/Herdings Park route, I note the following differences:

At Malin Bridge it was intended to have a single track loop, one way along Holme Lane to the Stannington Road junction, the other way along Loxley New Road

The original plan was for the tramway to run via Wulfric Road, Fairleigh and Prince of Wales Road to Manor Top.

It was subsequently necessary to get another act of parliament to change this to the actual route built along City Road.

A few pictures of the early days of the system can be seen here

For any insomniacs, the acts of parliament can be downloaded from here:

http://www.england-legislation.hmso.gov.uk...s/localact1988a

http://www.england-legislation.hmso.gov.uk...s/localact1989a

http://www.england-legislation.hmso.gov.uk...s/localact1990a

http://www.england-legislation.hmso.gov.uk...s/localact1993a

Guest transit

From this Monday 4 Oct , Supertram no.120 , will be entered back into public service after recieving retro Sheffield Tramways livery to commemorate the 50 th Anniversary of the closure of the original Tramway in Sheffield (Oct 8 , 1960) ......well done to Stagecoach for showing some interest , and all connected to see the project through ! :)

......Just a reminder that there is also a special Open Day at Aldwalke on Sun 10th Oct to commemorate the closure , featuring loads of pics ,history , models and artifacts ect also.

More details here...

http://www.sytm.co.uk/

The links aren't working BM - well not for me anyway.

Yes,

Message says

"This video or image has been moved or deleted"

The links should work now,

nice photos bus man

:)

Works fine now Steve, thanks, - great pictures.

How did you manage to repair the links if it wasn't your own photobucket site? :unsure:

Guest transit

Would have been nice to see the Sheffield coat of arms on the side, probably too expensive.

...its on both ends !

That looks like the wrong shade of blue to me - far too pale.

I thought that as well.

Obviously far too easy for them to just use the proper colours.

They wouldn't have been able to sit around discussing colour swatches over coffee.

Why do a retro livery which isn't retro ?

Who can fathom the inner workings ?

Guest bus man

The livery on 120 is a good presentation of livery that would be applied by Sheffield Tranpsort to a modern tram the styling of livery fits in with the modern tram and modern law - ie the blue round the doors.

I dont think the blue is the correct shade its too light, however, my only point of refrence is memory of the shade on sheffield buses and the current preserved buses which I believe is correct. ( I was born in 1960 so cant remember the trams)

Iam however a little surprised that the paint appears to be too light as i understand that they took advice on the correct shade.

The coat of arms : on trams this was on the side however , the current vehicle as it on both ends and it appears to be on a stainless steel mount . Where the coat of arms should be 120 as a stagecoach fleet name and promotational material - I can live with that .

Remember the more modern buses had it on the front - if it could fit, so there far I can live with the coach of arms on the front. I dont belive the blue is stagecoach blue.

Lack of fleet numbers - a question - and no I don't know the answer - is the tram finsihed remember the official launch is friday 8th October I beleive.

The posters inside are well done and the publicty they already have for this is good, at the end of the day they should be congratulated on doing this , remember in the past a retro livery as been dismissed .

Inconclusion I would not say it is "terrible" , we have to be very carefull that we dont create a situation where this comapany and others dont deciide not to do anything again .

PLEASE NOTE

The comments in this post (and on this forum come to that ) are my own views and are not those of any organisation that I am conected with.

The posters inside are well done and the publicty they already have for this is good, at the end of the day they should be congratulated on doing this , remember in the past a retro livery as been dismissed .

Inconclusion I would not say it is "terrible" , we have to be very carefull that we dont create a situation where this comapany and others dont deciide not to do anything again .

Yes - hands, up sorry

I agree, Bus Man. We shouldn't be too harsh.

However, the blue IS too light , and I don't see why it needs to be. If it's not the same colour (or very similar) why bother in the first place.

The correct colour (as I remember it) is about the same as on the word "Super TRAM"

Guest transit

Heres another shot

....superb pic Busman ! - although just proves the blue was researched and applied at night , as it now looks quite acceptable ! :rolleyes:

Guest transit

...apparently theres a feature on the Trams 50th anniversary tonight on BBC 1 Look North (Leeds) tonight from 6.30 pm. B)

Guest transit

...article in The Star - note the last paragraph !!!!!!!!!........... he he

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/All-change-on-the-city.6571369.jp

Guest transit

...part-restored tram 460 in the Prussion Blue version livery , on display at Aldwalke today.

Just awaiting Coat of Arms and gold pinstriping .....

Guest jimmy75

it was shown around 1984/85 on calander news remember my gran rushing thru into bedroom to show it me