George Bassett

Sheffield History

Bassett and Lodge originally ... (1840's)

Fast forward to the 1840′s when a Sheffield business Bassett and Lodge started a confectionery business that eventually created ‘Liquorice Allsorts’. The Allsorts mix apocryphally was created by a clumsy salesman who spilt a tray of various liquorice creams and sweets in a pattern that appealed to the customer. In 1918 they started to manufacture jelly products called ‘Peace Babies’ which we all now know and love as Jelly Babies.

Source : http://www.godsowncounty.co.uk/02/yorkshire/yorkshires-sweet-tooth/

----------------------------

Belligerent ?, moi ?

Across the city to the north, founded by George Bassett in 1842, Trebor Bassett still make their world-famous Liquorice Allsorts. At the end of WWI the same company launched a new product to celebrate the occasion, 'Peace Babies' later to become known as Jelly Babies.

Source : http://www.sheffield.org.uk/economy/

Sure they were not Trebor Bassetts until many, many years later. (anyone ?) Trebor being Robert backwards ...

I believe George had a daughter called Eliza (born 1857), who married Walter Appleyard who was Lord Mayor in 1916-17. Walter was also connected to the former Wilson Peck building, when It was Johnson & Appleyards Cabinet Makers as a member of the family. He also was a director of the Don Confectionary Company. I came across the connection when tracking down my family tree and pulling in any Appleyards no matter if they were related or not. At one time I believed this group of Appleyards were connected with me, due to a likeness in Walter's brother Joseph and some of my own family. Plus a connection with the furniture trade. However I found that there were two Appleyard families in the furniture trade in Sheffield, from the evidence I have not connected. My line comming down from Wakefield and Walter's line from Conisbrough, both coming into Sheffield around the same time. If the two families are connected it's well before 1800.

I think that's the address Mr Dunsby, it was a MASSIVE warehouse constructed entirely from Lard, melted during the impressive summer of 1859 ... probably ... around the same time as the puff-pastry Market Hall crumbled ... perhaps.

A bit odd that confectionery took off and not the lard warehouse :huh:

Sheff Indep 1850

George Bassett, Confectioner and Dealer in British wines, 30 Broad Street, Park (1849)

A bit odd that confectionery took off and not the lard warehouse :huh: Sheff Indep 1850

Did I mention 1918 ? People get paid to do this television research you know ...

a

Perhaps George was a Franco supporter!

It got flattened and they build one end of Europe's biggest set of flats on it (Kelvin Flats). Europe's biggest ? is that correct ? World's biggest maybe ? I do recall the biggest street party for Charles and Diana's wedding in 1981 was won by "The Kelvin" with a population of 6,000. Any thoughts ?

How has the factory changed?

Big Wednesday fan was George; moved closer to the ground so he could raise a Cheer from his Director's chair whenever Joicey punched one out of the keepers hands and toe-poked it in. Shame about the time-lapse ...

a

Perhaps George was a Franco supporter!

Samuel Meggitt Johnson, Manufacturing Confectioner, home Endcliffe Court, Endcliffe Crescent, 1893, 1905, 1911 and 1919 - he moved, permanantly not too long after.

Of interest - 1919 George Bassett & Co & Samuel M. Johnson & Sons (1919) - no Meggitt's Allsorts then ?

1881 Census

Presumably off to the seaside for the good of his health, this is after his stroke. Southport, Lancashire. Aged 63, Alderman and Confectioner (Wholesale). Wife Sarah Ann, aged 53, born Sheffield.

Can't get the image to attach.

1871 Census

Endcliffe Crescent

George Bassett 53

Sarah Ann Bassett 43, wife and all children born Sheffield.

Annie Bassett 22

Sarah Ann Bassett 21

Emily Bassett 19

John Bassett 5

Geo Herbert Bassett 3

Is George Herbert the inspiration for the alliterative "Bertie Bassett" ?

1861 Census

Norfolk Road, Park.

Confectioner 36 men, 30 boys and 12 girls employed.

George Bassett 43

Mary Elizabeth Bassett 15

Sarah Ann Bassett 11

Emily Bassett 9

Eliza Bassett 5

Rebecca Bassett 15 months

Can't get image to upload (630Kb)

1851 Census

Nunnery Farm ?, St John's I cannot make it out, better eyes/map/more local knowledge needed please.

Confectioner (employing 7 men).

George Bassett 33

Sarah Bassett 29

Annie Bassett 2

Sarah Ann Bassett 1

1st May 1886.

Sarah Ann, widow.

George's Personal Estate £91,588 8s. 6d.

In 1878 George Bassett had a stroke, he died in 1886 aged 68.