Where have you worked that's no longer there ?

Sheffield History

Dear chocolatetiger66

We were born the same year and in the same hospital no wonder we had the same jeans. Smart R's were the best jeans ive ever had, they fitted perfectly. That means we have just celebrated that **th birthday.

Sue

Davys Haymarket (Saturday Job) - gone

Austins menswear - top of the Moor (Saturday job) - gone

Firth Browns Saville Street - gone

Bradys Camping Shop Broomhall Street- gone

Kennings Peel Street - gone

Woodhead Components - Alma Street - gone

Sanderson Kayser - Newhall Road - gone

Guest coffee cup

I worked at Barretts shoe shop, high street as a YTS and hated every minute of it.

Spent 3yrs working at Spoils Kitchen Reject shop at Meadowhall..loved it

Both have long gone

Has spoils the company gone all together ?

remember the one by the cathedral, got some real bargains there when I first left home and got my own place. 16 years on still got some of the stuff

lollol lol

Roadline, haulage company, Hillsborough Barracks, 1980 mainly carrying bags of bird-seed (56 pound bags of bird-seed, hundreds of 'em)

Guest coffee cup

Roadline, haulage company, Hillsborough Barracks, 1980 mainly carrying bags of bird-seed (56 pound bags of bird-seed, hundreds of 'em)

was it going Cheap ? lollollollollollol

sorry couldn't resist that one.

My first job at 14 yrs old (1945)was with the B & C Dairy as a Milkman on Broughton Lane, but the premises no longer exist, A new building appears to be an exibition hall. I started at £3 per week and delivered 420 bottles of milk with 2 other ladies who were doing the job while the men were serving in the war time forces. A bottle of milk was 6d (just over 2p) and were paid for by 1 pint tokens, which were sold to customers at B&C grocery shops. I believe the ration was 3 pints per week per person. The worst part of the job was delivering in winter, when my wellingtons use to fill up with water ( from the snow) and we took all day to get to all the customers. Nice in summer though, as we would finish before 1pm.

Guest Desy

The Wooden hut that was in the front of the old J F Finnegan building on Ecclesall Road. Think it is part of the enterence to the supermarket now.

Sheffield Twist Drill & steel Companyt-, summerfield street- now part of Green's Gym

Good Grief, it's a wonder anyone would dare hire you with a record like that lol

Guest tsavo

Good Grief, it's a wonder anyone would dare hire you with a record like that lol

Brady's camping shop eh?.......I wonder what year....?

In 1974 I took the family to Devon for our first camping holiday. To keep costs down we had hired a family sized tent from Brady's. Arriving hot and tired at the campsite in Lynmouth, I started to unpack the tent. The instruction book was, thank goodness, with it....but it had been put away wet and all the pages were stuck together. No problem, a quick soak in a stream separated them and we laid then out on the grass to dry. Now I've never been very good with manuals, preferring to have a go first, and then use the instructions if needed.

The frame was very easy to construct as they were numbered and fairly obvious. But the canvas was another matter. Luckily the site was full of helpful and experienced campers (from all over Europe) who saw me struggling and came to help. The Dutch, who consulted the Germans, and were assisted by the French told me to leave it to them, allowing me to grab a quick cuppa.

After an hour, they admitted defeat and I rang Brady's. I explained the problem and was told, "Oh, we've a chap up in Scotland with the same problem!" I had his frame and he had my canvas, or vice versa. We ended up in a caravan for the week.

So, Brady's, Mickjj...............was when.......?

Guest ginney

I used to work at Carters on Attercliffe Road. Anyone remember Carters little liver pills. I worked there from leaving school.

They still had their own pharmacist. They were old fashioned but it was a great place to work.

ginney

Brady's camping shop eh?.......I wonder what year....?

In 1974 I took the family to Devon for our first camping holiday. To keep costs down we had hired a family sized tent from Brady's. Arriving hot and tired at the campsite in Lynmouth, I started to unpack the tent. The instruction book was, thank goodness, with it....but it had been put away wet and all the pages were stuck together. No problem, a quick soak in a stream separated them and we laid then out on the grass to dry. Now I've never been very good with manuals, preferring to have a go first, and then use the instructions if needed.

The frame was very easy to construct as they were numbered and fairly obvious. But the canvas was another matter. Luckily the site was full of helpful and experienced campers (from all over Europe) who saw me struggling and came to help. The Dutch, who consulted the Germans, and were assisted by the French told me to leave it to them, allowing me to grab a quick cuppa.

After an hour, they admitted defeat and I rang Brady's. I explained the problem and was told, "Oh, we've a chap up in Scotland with the same problem!" I had his frame and he had my canvas, or vice versa. We ended up in a caravan for the week.

So, Brady's, Mickjj...............was when.......?

It was me that worked at Bradys - and it was in 1972, so I cannot claim the credit. However, I do remember that we always used to erect the Hire Tents in the workshop after/prior to every hire, to check and 'air' them. Perhaps by 1974 things had changed. A true family business run by 'old' Mr Brady and assisted by his son, Robert, until he opened his own clothes shop on Eccesall Road. They also owned the Mudford Ropes business and during slack times part of my job was to make up dozens of lorry sheet tie ropes - I was taught how to splice ropes, which I must admit has come in useful on quite a number of occasions

Guest tsavo

Thanks for that, Docmel.

In a way Brady's did me a favour. It put me off tents for life. We did manage to sleep for one night in it. It ended up tied to a tree at one side and the car at the other. The biggest problem was that we were slap bang in the middle of the track from the local pub and we had a chaotic 10 minutes when the pub turned out at 11.30 and people started falling over our makeshift tent in the dark. Suddenly caravans seemed like the height of comfort and luxury.

S&E Co-op, the Arcade, Ecclesall Road, Waitrose now on the same site

S&E Co-op Hangingwater Rd, now Rafters Restaurant

S&E Co-op, Bents Green, Now a hardware store

S&E Co-op, Woolsley Road, on the site of the new Mosque, the store had trap doors in the floor, with the stock raised up three floors on an electrical hoist

S&E Co-op, langsett road, oposite Jacks Sasparela bar.

Guest coffee cup

Could have been worse, you could have been slap bang in the middle of a field with cows.

lol

I used to work at Carters on Attercliffe Road. Anyone remember Carters little liver pills. I worked there from leaving school.

They still had their own pharmacist. They were old fashioned but it was a great place to work.

ginney

Hi Ginney, My mum Marjorie Moore worked at Carters from around 1960 until about 1975 or 1980. Did you come across her?

John

Guest carlie167

Castle Bakery on the ground floor in the Castle Market, in the late 60s and early 70s. Now closed as will be the market itself in a few years. Lots of happy memories. :) Anyone else work there??

Roy's Bistro, South Road, Walkley, great place, made a lot of money in the early 80's, then turned to rubbish, last heard of a pizza place, opposite the bottom of Greenhow Street.

Had some great times there, "Would you like a drink ?", "I'll have a half, thank you" .....

cue drinking the bar dry of whatever we took a fancy to ....

Guest ginney

Hello John,

This is a nice surprise as I used to work with your mum. In fact she took me under her wing and was like a second mother to me. We got to be close and I thought she was the best. When I left Carters to start a family, we bought a house a few streets away from where your mum lived . She came the next day after we had moved in and helped me take my new son out.

We also went on a trip to London together to watch a show when Carters arranged a day trip. She took your dad with us. We all had a good time. I visited her a few times after we moved elsewhere. The last time was just after your dad had died.

She was a good friend to me and I will always remember her.

ginney

BSC Hawke St - I left Tinsley Park Bar Mill to go there, it was like the black hole of calcutta compared to Tinsley.

lol

Staniforth Carpets on Corporation Street, Spring Street, London Road and Staniforth Road Sheffield

Guest belfrybum

anybody know somebody who worked at the t.c. harrison,london road? ford dealership

now student complex.

i was technician their between 1988-1999.

best place i worked at!!!!

Guest johnc1

anybody know somebody who worked at the t.c. harrison,london road? ford dealership

now student complex.

i worked there between 1980-82 in maintainence

with abloke called malcolm i started as a yts

I remember Kennings on Peel Street and on Ashgate Road (I was born in no 8) the open days when Rolls Royce released a new model and the celebs who would turn up! the Peel Street building became a cheap type supermarket and the Ashgate Road garage the head office for a local charity, the Peel Street supermarket is now long gone and offices and a pub have replaced them. Does anyone remember the back to backs with courts which were on the opposite side of Peel Street?

As an aside my Grandfather was friends with the original Mr Kenning who offered him a stake in his new business idea, my Grandfather turned him down in favour of property purchasing! if only eh??

now student complex.

Had a friend called Mick Haines who worked there as a technician!