Where have you worked that's no longer there ?

Sheffield History

What places have you worked at in Sheffield that are no longer there ?

Did you work at the steelworks of Sheffield ?

Perhaps you were in the cutlery trade ?

Or even you could have worked at Bassett's or the now burnt down Fletchers bakery ?

First job was at Osbourn Mushett tools on Penistone road. I think the building is still there though.

Then on to Geo Turton Platts drop forge on I believe Furnival road. This place was demolished years ago. Other places I worked that are gone:

Spear & Jackson

Royal Hospital

Jessops Hospital.

I MUST BE SUMET OF A JINX WHEN IT COMES TO WORK AS FOLLOWS.

BECKERLEGGES ON MORBRAY STREET. MAKING FEALER GAUGES CLOSED

W.H.CLAYS ON ROCKINGHAM STREET. MAKING DIY TOOLS CLOSED

TAYMAR TOOLS ON MALINDA STREET. MAKING DIY TOOLS CLOSED

BURGESS TOOLS RETFORD ROAD MAKING DIY TOOLS CLOSED

CAMBRIDGE TOOLS NEWCASTLE STREET MAKING DIY TOOLS CLOSED

BUS DRIVER FOR S.Y.T. WHO CHANGED TO MAINLINE WHO CHANGED TO FIRST GROUP (NO COMMENT ABOUT THEM).AND JUST FOR GOOD MEASURE I WAS A MEMBER OF FOUR WORKING MENS CLUB IN MY LIFE TIME AND PUT THE KISS OF DEATH ON THEM AS WELL.

ATTERCLIFFE NON POTS,INTAKE CLUB,HILLFOOT CLUB AND DIAL HOUSE WERE I WOULD HAVE BEEN A LIFE MEMBER NOW!!! ANY ONE WANTS TO BE FRIENDS?

Where abouts was Wigfalls?

It was where Harvest Lane branches off. It was the Radio and TV repair shop. The river Don runs past the rear of it and Kelham Island the other side of the river.

It was where Harvest Lane branches off. It was the Radio and TV repair shop. The river Don runs past the rear of it and Kelham Island the other side of the river.

Ah I know where you mean now... I worked on Neepsend Lane for many years.

Guest sajrp

What places have you worked at in Sheffield that are no longer there ?

I used to work at 'Lodestar' Engineering on Johnson Street, where the new roadworks are STILL going on at the bottom of corporation st, a bit saddening really as there used to be 136 men worked there when I started there, some who had been there since they were 14!

Guest parkwooder

I used to work at Turton Brothers and Matthews on Mowbray Street.

Another place was Cain Vickers cutlery manufacturers on Parkwood Road. It was where the old Neepsend railway used to be.

FE HALLS body repair centre on bramall lane was opposite petrol station now student flats i think & before that SOUTH YORKSHIRE METROPOLITAN AMBULANCE & PARAMEDIC WORKSHOPS on corporation street,which if i'm not mistaken has got to be an award winner for lenght on name aswell lollol ,but very sad there not there now cos end of the day the part of sheffields past & mine,its silly how you work at place for years never thinking to get some pictures etc cos one day it wont be there :(

SOUTH YORKSHIRE METROPOLITAN AMBULANCE & PARAMEDIC WORKSHOPS on corporation street,which if i'm not mistaken has got to be an award winner for lenght on name aswell lollol

lol

"A.E.S (Associated Engineering Sales)", it became Hartley Seeds Books, on West street, not sure whats there now?

"Express Typewriters" on Division Steet. it was across the road from the Blood Donor Building.

Guest sheffieldsue

I used to work at Richards Bros bottom of the moor,I believe it's Wickes now.

Davy McKee's

Parkway Instruments on roman ridge industrial estate at wincobank

Gregory & Dench peugeot off west street...had shock of me life when a saw whats there now :blink:

My first job from leaving school was at Langtons shoe shop in Hillsboro we were never busy. In fact if we had more than 2 customers in a day we were doing well. It had a manageress can't remember her name who tried to teach me everything about the shoe trade. Trouble is i still didn't learn much. It was a job training scheme so i was paid around £25 for 6 days work (slave labour or what!!!)

Guest coffee cup

Jeanery Fargate, had a saturday job their whilst in the 6th form at School.

Guest coffee cup

T.C.Harrisons

London road not sure if it still exists

Went past other day, no longer TC Harrison, looks like it has been demolished and they are building Guess what !!! yes Apartments !!!!!!!

Guest chocolatetiger66

I worked at Barretts shoe shop, high street as a YTS and hated every minute of it.

Spent 3yrs working at Spoils Kitchen Reject shop at Meadowhall..loved it

Both have long gone

Guest chocolatetiger66

Jeanery Fargate, had a saturday job their whilst in the 6th form at School.

Fantastic shop. Use to get all my Smart R's ultra tight skinny stretchy jeans from there..many moons ago lol

Guest coffee cup

Yes it was, I am guessing I worked there in about 1980ish I was upstairs on the Levi Floor, reason I got the part time job there was my friends brother was the manager at the time.

Carrier bags were white with gold/yellow writing on them.

lol lol