W Gillott & Son

SteveHB

This is er, well I couldn't find the name of the lane not even on two

old maps but it's in between Howard street and Charles lane.

It's Howard Lane UKL,

the old derelict building at the top in your photo was Pearl Works.

Eyre Lane

It's Howard Lane UKL,

the old derelict building at the top in your photo was Pearl Works.

Eyre Lane

That's a very nice one UkeLass

====

Steve - what does that say above/behind the Pearl works sign?

That's a very nice one UkeLass

====

Steve - what does that say above/behind the Pearl works sign?

I can't make it out,

here's a full resolution untouched crop.

Stick the flag out! lol

I have found the answer.

It says 'Gillott'

"Former premises of Wm. Gillott andamp; Son, Pearl Cutters, Nos 17-21, Eyre Lane"

Thanks to picturesheffield

It was made harder to read by that lower piece of wood at the base of this mysterious writing and obove the clearer Pearl Works sign. This is angled and the left hand end seems to be raised so that it partially covers the first few letters of the mysterious writing.

Can just about make out, with a little imagination, that it does say Gillott. I wouldn't have been able to read it without knowing the answer though.

Stick the flag out! lol

I have found the answer.

It says 'Gillott'

"Former premises of Wm. Gillott andamp; Son, Pearl Cutters, Nos 17-21, Eyre Lane"

Thanks to picturesheffield

Is this another company in the same building do we think ?

George Saville. Pearl handle & scale cutter, Sheffield Pearl Works, Furnival Street (Kelly's 1925)

Is this another company in the same building do we think ?

George Saville. Pearl handle & scale cutter, Sheffield Pearl Works, Furnival Street (Kelly's 1925)

Wouldn't have thought so, but we don't know when Gillott's

gave up the Eyre Ln premises.

Furnival St is a fair way from Howard Ln.

A search on here for Gillott didn't come up with anything

pearl related,

W. Gillott and Son, 17-21 Eyre Lane,

picturesheffield;

01 - s10194

02 - s10184, 1950 decade

Wouldn't have thought so, but we don't know when Gillott's

gave up the Eyre Ln premises.

Furnival St is a fair way from Howard Ln.

A search on here for Gillott didn't come up with anything

pearl related,

W. Gillott and Son, 17-21 Eyre Lane,

picturesheffield;

02 1950 decade

Well, I fully agree with you on that.

Well, I fully agree with you on that.

Found some more .. :)

"In 1989 we moved six Miles to our present location,

still with a Sheffield postcode, but into North East Derbyshire"

W Gillott & Son, www.pearlgifts

"Prior to moving into Eyre lane we were located in premises a few streets away"

Found some more .. :)

"In 1989 we moved six Miles to our present location,

still with a Sheffield postcode, but into North East Derbyshire"

W Gillott & Son, www.pearlgifts

"Prior to moving into Eyre lane we were located in premises a few streets away"

So they moved to Dronfield (S18) to their present Callywhite Lane premises where it appears they are still very much in business

That'll be George William Gillott (living at 60 Broomgrove Road 1911 and 1919) and Edmund Arnold Gillott (living at 72 Chelsea Road 1911, 1919 and 1925) trading as William Gillott & Son, Pearl Cutters.

Also Listed just as :

W Gillott & Son, Pearl cutters, 38 Arundel Street in 1919

W Gillott & Son, Pearl cutters, 17 & 21 Eyre Lane

[Would need to get some DOB records to work out if Edmund was a brother or the son]

Hi stevehb or any of the other posts i have read about my families buisness, The company was w gillott and son, it became w.gillott and sons the pearl wrks ltd. We ceaced trade in 2005 and was stock only basis when my father the last owner director Michael gillott. We moved from eyre lane to callywhite lane in dronfield in 1989, sadey and with huge bravery michael gillott died on the 7th feb 2011 and the company died for good.

The company started on Arundal street in rented accomodation By my Great great grandfather George william gillott., they built in 1923 a purpose built property on eyre lane the now derelict buliding, arundal was 2 cut mother of pearl, eyre lane was 2 produce handles, scales and beyond, the factory was built 2 stand another story as my great grandfathers empire built, sadley that never came. My great great grandfather was married to Florence Marsh, whom after his death did become sole proprietor, they had a son Edmund whom is my great grandfather. They went on to have My grandfather Herbert arnold Gillott and Joseph William Gillott my great uncle, whom my own son is now loving named after. My great grandfather went on 2 marry ellen arnold tankersly and had herbert and joseph, uncle Joe worked in broadcasting for some time but my grandad followed suit eventually 2 become partners in the company, My grandad married Mary eileen Tricket another well known sheffield company and had two children michael gillott and ann gillott the company went on as i have said in 2011 its all gone after michael gillotts death. There is much history between and i have my memories of living there in holidays Ermest mills in our cellar. Some funny ones of old ern

Tad muddled i'm sure

During the second world war we made mother of pearl compas dials almost indistructable, unfortunatly the factory wasnt and got hit opposite corner 2 sign and lost roof , temp is still on today with modern repairs of plastic, the old oak table that once stood in my grandparents house that was taken there had the corner blown off but it stood. Middle of the ware house with its injurys stood till eyre lane closed.

I smile when i think of eyre lane my grandad at the saw cutting, my gran preparing salad round the warehouse table, as a child every one shut down came to the ware house for lunch prepared by my gran... years changed and people brought packed lunches but as a girl bk in 70's i had job of buttering bread loved the silence when it all shut down to eat................

edna sorting handles scales jack big huge jack always threw me in his arms then went bk 2 grinding, pat you know whom u r and glass nails, always so sweet and lovely to i, ur kids and i are same ages , thanks for the 7th ment the wrld:-), rodney bless u silent but always thought u were lovely, the list could go for ever. I think companies should remember work is often more than a job, maybe my fond memories, not on the payroll just my family. To all above i throw my hands in the air and say thankyou for being part of my family, and i hope and pray pearl wrks area will become what the factory was and be known why. To my dad and my grandparents and great and all those that have worked there thankyou x

a link on yorkshire archives showing edmund my great grandfather, herbert my grandfather and great uncle joe and his wife elsie employees

http://www.yorkshirefilmarchive.com/film/fashioning-mother-pearl

oh for those that have looked herbert arnold and joseph william did. may have have one more sibling kathrine gillott she wrote a cookery coloum which i hold scrap books 2 my great aunt kit, all cut off but was sheffield paper all i have on clipings is independant, i say sister i really dont know my father is no longer here and no one 2 ask but cuttings start in 1914 and know there are many more scrap books now in s.a with my auntie ann i hold just one. So Kathrine gillott great aunt kit did end up in middlewood all i know about her. But as a spinster a suffrogette. Apparantly i did meet her have no idea or recolection. I grew up with grandad and great uncle joe, will ask my brother he did do family tree for i its memories. I just hope someone from my grans side gets in touch and helps fill out gaps i have no right to :-)

Hi stevehb or any of the other posts i have read about my families buisness, The company was w gillott and son, it became w.gillott and sons the pearl wrks ltd. We ceaced trade in 2005 and was stock only basis when my father the last owner director Michael gillott. We moved from eyre lane to callywhite lane in dronfield in 1989, sadey and with huge bravery michael gillott died on the 7th feb 2011 and the company died for good.

Hello formydadmg,

sorry to hear about Mr. Gillott and the closure of the company.

Thank you for posting on SheffieldHistory.

i got some stuff wrong george william married ellen arnold tankersly no date of marraige but george was born approx 1852. my great grandfather married florence marsh approx 1902 they had the three kids my grandad herbert kathrine and joseph. my great grandfather died in approx 1936. and florence whom really did come sole proprieter for while died in 1953, so if this is now the right way round maybe wat i thought was great aunt elsie ( in the archive clips from 1937...) was my great great grandmother, learning here too, my brother has the family tree with many gaps, dad became too sick in the end 2 fill our gaps, before we thought we knew, maybe here i can find once and for all :-) Although i do recognize my grandad and uncle joe and well edmund was renowned :-D . There are many more out there we hold a lot and far more recent but uncle joe from broadcasting did wrk with oxford films if anyone has more of his movies (joseph william gillott) would love to see them/ Trying to fill in a few ghosts please help

thanks sheffield history admin, i hope i have given enough info but know there is more out there edwin blyde was my grandmothers family company ie tricketts, i wish to learn more . including the coloum my great aunt kit wrote

W and E Blyde and Co.

Magisterial Proceedings

The Sheffield & Rotherham Independent (Sheffield, England), Monday, May 25, 1863

W and E Blyde and Co.

The Sheffield & Rotherham Independent. Supplement(Sheffield, England), Saturday, December 03, 1864.

Sheffield Town Trust Election.

The Sheffield & Rotherham Independent(Sheffield, England), Saturday, May 29, 1880;

Marriage of Mr J E Alger Blyde FCS and Miss Jones.

The Sheffield & Rotherham Independent(Sheffield, England), Saturday, October 10, 1896

Internment of Mr J Blyde.

The Sheffield & Rotherham Independent(Sheffield, England), Wednesday, December 20, 1899;