Notre Dame

RichardB

If you look at the front lower part of the frontage the three arches do not match; why is this ?

Are there any parrallels in Sheffield architecture ? Yo u have to answer part one to answer part two ...

[No, I don't know the answer to part two - just posted as a query]

If you look at the front lower part of the frontage the three arches do not match; why is this ?

Are there any parrallels in Sheffield architecture ? Yo u have to answer part one to answer part two ...

You are right Richard, but due to the stues and other decoration it seems that all 3 arches are unique.

Although they all go into Notre dame cathedral they all seem to have different uses, for example when we went the right hand one was for tourist like us and one of the others was for "praying pilgrims" (I think, - if my French translation was up to scratch)

I can't think of any parallels in Sheffield of such unsymetrical building but if you go to Chesterfield their famous church spire looks quite definately bent and twisted, -not much geometrical symetry there.

You are right Richard, but due to the stues and other decoration it seems that all 3 arches are unique.

Although they all go into Notre dame cathedral they all seem to have different uses, for example when we went the right hand one was for tourist like us and one of the others was for "praying pilgrims" (I think, - if my French translation was up to scratch)

Unique is approximating the answer I was looking for. I read that it was built to be "not perfect" the only thing that was perfect was, of course, God. Since it took 100 years to build I'm sure they could have had perfect symmetry if they wished, they decided not to. The wall of the "old" place is there inside, services continued while they built the "new" place outside.

The central arch has some incredible carvings, the left hand side of the arch depicting Heaven; the right hand side of that central curve (starting above the red and white umbrella) depicting the descent into Hades; the figures start to look "crumpled" at the bottom right of that curve - if memory serves they are dissolving into pots.

From memory I think a lot of the interior of Sheffield Cathedral is assymetrical, but it's down to the amount of additions and alterations over the years!

Unique is approximating the answer I was looking for. I read that it was built to be "not perfect" the only thing that was perfect was, of course, God. Since it took 100 years to build I'm sure they could have had perfect symmetry if they wished, they decided not to.

The French liking for drinking copious quantities of wine from their main wine producing regions (and who can blame them) must frequently lead to "imperfections" in their work lol