Sign in to follow this  
RichardB

Pond Street Nora

Sounds like I'm making them up now !

Details required please (if not already on here).

I'm sure they are already on here Richard, - she certainly was a well known local character

I'm sure I have read a thread about her somewhere so if we can find it perhaps a link is required.

Unfortunately the site search facility requires words longer than 4 letters to work so "Pond" & "Nora" don't work while "Street" gives far too many matches to search through.

I'm sure Pond St Nora has been mentioned before

I'm sure they are already on here Richard, - she certainly was a well known local character

I'm sure I have read a thread about her somewhere so if we can find it perhaps a link is required.

Unfortunately the site search facility requires words longer than 4 letters to work so "Pond" & "Nora" don't work while "Street" gives far too many matches to search through.

Agree totally about the length of seaches - try Old Pond Mill - or my favourite Pub search "Who can tell" ...

Agree totally about the length of seaches - try Old Pond Mill - or my favourite Pub search "Who can tell" ...

Discussion of Pond Street Nora seems to start here in the "Old Pond Street Bus Station" thread and ends shortly after, only to be revived here

Discussion of Pond Street Nora seems to start here in the "Old Pond Street Bus Station" thread and ends shortly after, only to be revived here

And she gets a mention in the Threepenny Bit Kiosk thread

And she gets a mention in the Threepenny Bit Kiosk thread

Knew she was on here somewhere. Many Thanks.

Of course Pond Street Nora is represented on the site. I wonder what her surname was, where she lived in earlier times and where she worked ... ? Is that information on here already, or does anyone know please ?

Of course Pond Street Nora is represented on the site. I wonder what her surname was, where she lived in earlier times and where she worked ... ? Is that information on here already, or does anyone know please ?

Her full name was .. Nora Kathleen Welburne

copyright of: www.sheffieldforum.co.uk

Her full name was .. Nora Kathleen Welburne

copyright of: www.sheffieldforum.co.uk

Gadzooks you bounder - that's a better answer than I had (my source, evidently rubbish had Melbourne as the surname) and from a relative too.

Still, the where did she work and where did she live at age 21 will keep you and your devilish mastery of internet search-thingies occupied for now ...

Gadzooks you bounder - that's a better answer than I had (my source, evidently rubbish had Melbourne as the surname) and from a relative too.

Still, the where did she work and where did she live at age 21 will keep you and your devilish mastery of internet search-thingies occupied for now ...

Thanks for reviving this topic, this is one of the defining memories I have of Sheffield in the 60's. Nora, striding Boadicea-like up and down the corridors of Pond Street bus station. Long raincoat, white head scarf and plimsols, two hands clutching a shopping bag which she held in front of her as she walked. Cursing all and sundry. Thats how I remember her, it's so long ago, perhaps my memory is not 100% accurate. I did see her once as we got off the bus on Burngreave Road on our way to the Tollgate Pub, she swore at me because I was with my girlfriend. Perhaps she lived up there somewhere, it was unusual to see her outside of her beloved bus terminus. I read her story on the link provided by RichardB, fascinating! They should make a movie.

I'll take her brothers first name too while you are at it ...

I'll take her brothers first name too while you are at it ...

Brother's name - Derek

She was always known to me an those that I knew as Barmy Nora

Brother's name - Derek

She was always known to me an those that I knew as Barmy Nora

Not the answer I have (from 1942) though she may have had loads of siblings for all I know.

Can't say I ever saw her in all honesty. Maybe I'm too young and handsome ... yeah right he he

Nora wasn't restricted to Pond Street,

She also paid visits to the Midland Station

She would also walk about town, remember everyone looking round as she approached swearing loudly at all and sundry. Everyone who knocked about in town knew Nora as well as old Cyril the tramp