Upsey Daisy

RichardB

Is he on here ? Given that I can't find the mystery location mentioned I don't know if he's on here or not ...

I'm sure that I've seen Herbert on here somewhere,

but can't remember where he's lurking.

;-)

I'm sure that I've seen Herbert on here somewhere,

but can't remember where he's lurking.

;-)

You saying we have a Herbert-lurker ?

Upsey Daisy was a Sheffield character who helped children across the road and turned them upside down at the other side. Saying "Upsy Daisy" Can't remember his proper name. About 15 years ago  Local Studies Library compiled a list of these Sheffield Characters with a potted history of them all. 

Date may be wrong could be 1890's The only Herbert Moss who appears in the Census is 1851 aged 4 with grandparents Moss at Court 3 Upper Allen Street 1861 aged 14 with maternal grandparents at 13 Cumberland Street 1871 aged 24 a news vendor lodging with Ernest Mannuella and family 1881 aged 33 lodging at Scotland Street with Hannah Eaton 63 who kept a mangle & Ann Barker aged 73 Herbert Moss aged 42 died June quarter of 1890 but no records of his death in the paper However the information with the photograph of Upsey Daisy is 1904 Royal Exchange Flats were on this site in the early 1900's

7F5D8844-926C-4BBF-9CEB-E90988098AEF.jpeg

Don't know whether the information about the Sheffield Characters including Upsey Daisy is available online. It was compiled by the Local Studies Staff and made into a booklet for reference prior to 2009. 

On 16/04/2021 at 21:00, Ponytail said:

Don't know whether the information about the Sheffield Characters including Upsey Daisy is available online. It was compiled by the Local Studies Staff and made into a booklet for reference prior to 2009. 

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s45067&pos=4&action=zoom&id=132170

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s08702&pos=5&action=zoom&id=11826