Does anyone know what this is??

Hjdary

Hi Hjdary, It looks as if that one is before my time and what bit you can see of the tram body, could be very ancient. We had similar carriers, but these were to put the 'running boards' (ie: Timetable for that service for the day)in.Each service had a number for departmental information. It could just possible explain this problem. If you find an answer, I would be very interested too. Incedently, a friend bought me a present for my 75th birthday in 2006 (I am 76 tomorrow, 4/6/2007) and it is an 'Ultimate' ticket machine, complete with full set of tickets, all complete in the original metal box. He found it in an antique place in Killamarsh, but what a find ! Best Wishes and sorry I can't help on this one.

• Like 1

Each service had a number for departmental information. It could just possible explain this problem.

I thought this might be it but I'm sure I've seen the same number on more than one vehicle...in different photos.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v390/hjdary/P2255425.jpg

P.S

Once went to the Sheffield bus rally and went all gooey when I saw a Setrigh machine just like the one my Grandad would have used when he worked for United.

I was just about to part with the Thirty quid asked for by the vendor when my son reminded me that my other half was very adamant on the fact that I should not return from the rally with another boot full of old bus crap.

Needless to say there is a Setright shaped hole in my life still !!

In lots of shots of old trams in Sheffield you can see these........

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v390/hjdary/P2255428.jpg

They were in the window near the driver.....but what were they for?

My mate (who is a transport head) reckons they are "duty numbers" ie a sort of shift number. This would then allow the inspectors to check these numbers against their rotas to ensure employees were working where they should be etc. London buses still use them now. Sound right?

Guest bus man

Its the back of the running board which told the driver where he should be at what time they dont usualy look that clean and bright the Sheffield Bus Musuem a some in its collection they are quite interesting the length of time some trams were out was amasing 20 hours