History of Norfolk Street Wesleyan Chapel

RichardB

I've even less idea than normal where this comes from, no Digitized by logo, no Microsoft, no author either for that matter.

Anyway, I've downloaded it at some point, printed it and stuffed it in a drawer. Now I've found it again and here it is (if anybody knows etc etc).

nor1.pdf

norapp2.pdf

norapp3.pdf

norapp4.pdf

norapp5.pdf

norapp6.pdf

I've even less idea than normal where this comes from, no Digitized by logo, no Microsoft, no author either for that matter.

Anyway, I've downloaded it at some point, printed it and stuffed it in a drawer. Now I've found it again and here it is (if anybody knows etc etc).

Here you are, the full bag of mashings ..

Norfolk street Wesleyan chapel, Sheffield :(1907)

Author: Seed, T. Alexander, (Thomas Alexander)

Publisher: Sheffield : Jarrold & Sons

Maybe some one can do a then and now with these

Very nice stuff, and all I had was a few pages and the Appendices.

Thank you, I had the file tucked away, so tucked away I couldn't find it (several Mb's worth), I have lots of stuff that I don't know what it is - maybe time for an Amnesia-thread.

Seriouly ~I have lots of scraps of paper with Pub stuff on and I don't honestly know if they are posted or not - every find/entry seems to take an age to check/verify/post - maybe I should start a confusion thread and dump the lot for consideration.

I may be wrong but aren't these two different buildings. They look similar BUT : -

The Wesleyan Chapel was at the corner of Chapel Walk and was demolished and replaced with a modern building.

The lower photograph looks like the "Upper Chapel" estblished in the 17th Century? for "dissenters"which was also on Norfolk Street across from the old TSB building and in fact is still there!

Where was/is the Gower Wesleyan Reform Church?

I'd assume it was around Gower Street in Burngreave Steve. The building looks similar to others in the area?

I'd assume it was around Gower Street in Burngreave Steve. The building looks similar to others in the area?

You are right Dunsbyowl, I took that photo in 1978 but I didn't realise I was on Gower Street. I was just wandering around Burngreave / Pitsmoor / Firvale at the time taking pictures for posterity. I thought the building looked a bit interesting, but I don't know anything about it.

Maybe some one can do a then and now with these

Surely these are not the same buildings? I've walked through the Upper Chapel grounds

on Norfolk street this morning but I've never seen anything like the black and white

picture around there???

Dunsbyowl said:
I may be wrong but aren't these two different buildings. They look similar BUT : -

The Wesleyan Chapel was at the corner of Chapel Walk and was demolished and replaced with a modern building.

The lower photograph looks like the "Upper Chapel" estblished in the 17th Century? for "dissenters"which was also on Norfolk Street across from the old TSB building and in fact is still there!

ukelele lady said:
Surely these are not the same buildings? I've walked through the Upper Chapel grounds

on Norfolk street this morning but I've never seen anything like the black and white

picture around there???

Looking at this picturesheffield image the Wesleyan Chapel once stood

where the Victoria Hall now stands,

if I'm correct ?

That sounds about right. ;-)

One here from Richard's Scrap Book,

and a third Chappel in the left of the photo

is the Nether Chapel .. picturesheffield

1/ Upper Chapel

2/ Nether Chapel

3/ Wesleyan Chapel (site of)

Crops from O/S maps #02 & 04,

I have the original book of "Norfolk Street Wesleyan Chapel, Sheffield", 1907, by Alexander Seed. It is a hard back with leather spine and is in good condition for its age (110 years). I would like to sell it and as it is taking up valuable space will bin it if I can't find a buyer. If you are interested in owning this original for your collection then please contact me by email: broadviews21@gmail.com.

Darren