Trolleybuses

vox

What I saw was a bus of the style seen on Sheffield roads in the 50's, but with a boom on top. Much like the one in WE's photo.

I'm sure it was a trolley bus, also that it was in Sheffield and also that it was on a hill. Maybe just not on City Road though.

On 08/01/2010 at 21:47, jiginc said:

I have just been reading a very interesting book from the library it shows a picture that answers part of this question. It shows a Rotherham trolleybus in Haymarket dated 1912. The front wheels look like they are flanged and a skate is shown running in the rail. The book is called Sheffield Pictorial and is by David Richardson. As the picture is not attributed to a photographer I have scanned it, if this breaks copyright then I will remove it ASAP.

post-352-1262987169_thumb.jpg

jiginc

When I came across the photo' below I remembered this old topic. It appears to be the same photo' with a bit more at the bottom and is described as an electric guided bus. It is definitely in front of the Fitzalan Chambers on the Haymarket.

"This guided bus uses a sprung loaded down force to locate the jockey wheel in the tram tracks in Rotherham. Power comes from the tram overhead with drive to the rear wheels by chains. The chassis is by David Brown and two 20hp Siemens motors are used .

EDIT -- I have just noticed that the Rotherham Corporation Transport 1903-1974 .pdf available at the link below has the same picture with the following information  -----  "No. 39 - one of Rotherham’s first trolleybuses delivered in 1912. It was a Railless with Milnes Voss 29-seat bodywork, later registered ET1923 and re-numbered T2. (LTHL collection)."

http://www.lthlibrary.org.uk/library/PDF-041-1.pdf

electric_guided_bus.jpg