Lord Mayors of Sheffield

Peter John

There must be a list of all the Lord Mayors but what about the other members of the retinue on civil occasions?

I had an uncle who was the Beadle or maybe it should be Beagle I'm not sure, he was the guy who carried the Mace, and what did that represent?

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation.

Peter

The Sheffield City Council website has lists of past mayors here and past lord mayors here. They don't seem to have lists of other office holders though.

Jeremy

The Sheffield City Council website has lists of past mayors here and past lord mayors here. They don't seem to have lists of other office holders though.

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy, thanks for the info, the link to the past lord mayors leads to the website showing the actual mace, and from there, there is a link to The Mace Bearers Guild, unfortunately there is no archival material online, perhaps a snail mail letter will be required!

Peter

Hi Jeremy, thanks for the info, the link to the past lord mayors leads to the website showing the actual mace, and from there, there is a link to The Mace Bearers Guild, unfortunately there is no archival material online, perhaps a snail mail letter will be required!

Peter

I looked as well, enjoyed the Lists and Mace and Badge and Chain information but couldn't find any answers to your question either.

Hello all, I see on the council website that Henry Vickers was Mayor in 1860, but can anybody tell me when he would have been elected? I'm reading an article in the Sheffield Independent from Feb. 1860 and it refers to the mayor, but not by name. If he wasn't elected until later in the year it would have been Henry E Hoole who was elected previous year.

I need to clarify this point for my research into union activity at the time and he (one of the two!) was at a Saw Grinder's Meeting, addressing their secretary, the notorious Wm. Broadhead.

Doesn't prove anything historically, I know, but our present Lord Mayor was installed in May .

Sheffield Telegraph - 17 May 2013 -

Liberal Democrat councillor Vickie Priestley was installed yesterday (Wednesday) as Sheffield's 117th Lord Mayor.