Sheffield Sunday Regional League - Cross AFC

Guest dex

I used to play in the Sunday Regional League for a team called Cross AFC back around 1976 for 5 years. Does anyone know how I might be able to get information on league tables around that time.

I used to play in the Sunday Regional League for a team called Cross AFC back around 1976 for 5 years. Does anyone know how I might be able to get information on league tables around that time.

I played for Handsworth Social Club in the Sunday League up until 1972. I loved it. Played on some terrible pitches, in terrible conditions against some fearsome defenders, but wouldn't change a thing. The Star used to do a fairly comprehensive coverage of all the local leagues. I remember scouring the sports pages on Mondays looking for my teams' result and they even named the goalscorers sometimes and gave a short write-up. Was your team at Parsons Cross? Most of the teams were pubs or working mens' clubs and I remember a church team playing too. I'll be watching the topic closely, interested to see what replies you get.

I played for Handsworth Social Club in the Sunday League up until 1972. I loved it. Played on some terrible pitches, in terrible conditions against some fearsome defenders, but wouldn't change a thing. The Star used to do a fairly comprehensive coverage of all the local leagues. I remember scouring the sports pages on Mondays looking for my teams' result and they even named the goalscorers sometimes and gave a short write-up. Was your team at Parsons Cross? Most of the teams were pubs or working mens' clubs and I remember a church team playing too. I'll be watching the topic closely, interested to see what replies you get.

Yes we were from the Cross, but we were just a bunch of mates living on and around the Fulmere Crescent area of Parson Cross. We started in the 5th division and got promoted for the first 3 or 4 years ending up after our fifth season disbanding because we were turning up with 9 or 10 men every Sunday as the lads just got fed up. My dad Alf Glaves started us, bought all the kits etc. I think in one or two matches we had 5 Glaves brothers all turning out on the Sunday. Best times of my footballing life, great laugh. Play hard in the morning kick lumps out of one another then into the nearest pub with most of the opposition lads for a few pints and a laugh - great cameraderie

Yes we were from the Cross, but we were just a bunch of mates living on and around the Fulmere Crescent area of Parson Cross. We started in the 5th division and got promoted for the first 3 or 4 years ending up after our fifth season disbanding because we were turning up with 9 or 10 men every Sunday as the lads just got fed up. My dad Alf Glaves started us, bought all the kits etc. I think in one or two matches we had 5 Glaves brothers all turning out on the Sunday. Best times of my footballing life, great laugh. Play hard in the morning kick lumps out of one another then into the nearest pub with most of the opposition lads for a few pints and a laugh - great cameraderie

They say all good things come to an end, well dex, you had it good. I can't think of anything better than playing on the same field with 4 of your brothers and Dad cheering on the sideline. Must have been awesome. There's nothing worse than starting a game with 9 men against eleven, done that many times, trying to hold them out and hope the others turn up before they score too many. To me, this is the real football, the grass roots stuff, you can have Manchester United, Chelsea and Arsenal. Like you said, these were the best times of your life and you'll always have the memories.

I used to run The Walkley Cottage F.C. we went through the Regional Leagues 3 Divisions in the years 70 to 72 before the club folded deciding to go into the Suday Sports league rather than The Anglo Scandanavian/ Crusteell Sunday League.

History of the Regional league should not be too difficult to track down as an annual year book was produced. PWD were one of the constituant teams and they were run by Bob Brown who was also league secretary.