Street Name Changes

Stuart0742

Question

When did Leadmill Rd become Fornham St

http://www.multimap.com/maps/?qs=sheffield...gland,%20S1%202

http://maps.google.co.uk/?q=Sheffield,+UK&...006968&z=18

When I was a lad I lived on Leadmill Rd now it seems I lived on Fornham St

When did that change

Was it when they made it a one way system?

There are arrows on the maps indicating the bit that is still Leadmill Road is one way. I don't remember it being one way when you were there.

The bit now called Fornham Street is shown as a main road and part of a bigger city route. Did it change when this route came into existance?

Did creating this route involve road widening as I don't ever remember Leadmill Road being a main road.

Ok what about the street names?

Leadmill Road seems to indicate that there was a lead mill on this site at some point in the past, - highly likely due to its close proximity to the river Sheaf and the metal lead which could easily have been brought in from nearby mines in Derbyshire (eg Castleton).

Fornham Street sounds like it is named after either a place called Fornham or that it is someones surname, - Mr. Fornham. If so where is Fornham? Or who was Mr. Fornham? and what did he do / was he famous for to get a local street named after him?

Fornham Street also sounds a bit like the nearby Shorham Street, so whats the origin of that name?

Over to our local history researchers on that one.

No idea of the year of this FlashEarth view, but it's not 2009,

also Suffolk Road looks to extend

past the old Leadmill bus sheds and Paternoster Row.

The street map is 1988

Link to .. FlashEarth

Ok what about the street names?

Leadmill Road seems to indicate that there was a lead mill on this site at some point in the past, - highly likely due to its close proximity to the river Sheaf and the metal lead which could easily have been brought in from nearby mines in Derbyshire (eg Castleton).

Fornham Street sounds like it is named after either a place called Fornham or that it is someones surname, - Mr. Fornham. If so where is Fornham? Or who was Mr. Fornham? and what did he do / was he famous for to get a local street named after him?

Fornham Street also sounds a bit like the nearby Shorham Street, so whats the origin of that name?

Over to our local history researchers on that one.

The leadmill was set up in the 1750's, run by 5 partners, later taken over by John Barker and Thomas Rawson (a brewer) . It closed about 1870 and was demolished in 1907. (Any sign on the old maps?)

Fornham Street was built on land belonging to the Duke of Norfolk, and named after 2 villages in Norfolk in which the Duke had an interest, Fornham All saints and Fornham St. Martin. They're about 2 miles from Bury St Edmunds.

(From Peter Harvey's book)

The leadmill was set up in the 1750's, run by 5 partners, later taken over by John Barker and Thomas Rawson (a brewer) . It closed about 1870 and was demolished in 1907. (Any sign on the old maps?)

Fornham Street was built on land belonging to the Duke of Norfolk, and named after 2 villages in Norfolk in which the Duke had an interest, Fornham All saints and Fornham St. Martin. They're about 2 miles from Bury St Edmunds.

Thanks for the info there Bayleaf.

That just leaves Shorham Street then, and I suspect that this name will be linked to Fornham Street in some way

Thanks for the info there Bayleaf.

That just leaves Shorham Street then, and I suspect that this name will be linked to Fornham Street in some way

Same again Dave, named after Shoreham in Sussex. The Dukes of Norfolk were lords of the manor of both Old and New Shoreham

There is a topic on here somewhere about the Leadmills

I knew if anybody could find it Steve would :)

So back to the original question because Stuart is feeling a little lost as he no longer seems to know where he lived as a kid :(

When did Leadmill Road become Fornham Street?