Victorian trees

vox

It seems a bit shortsighted of the council, after the experience of years of pruning trees that are too near the road, that they should still be planting the wrong type of trees in the wrong places around the city.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the greenery, it's just that experience should be making them more selective.

Why not just plant them a bit further back from the road or select a type of tree which grows up rather than out. There are plenty of varieties which are quite small even when fully grown.

Here for instance on Hanover Way.

This picture is from a year or so ago and it's worse now. They've already had to trim the overhanging branches as can be seen on the picture.

Other places have road signs obscured by trees & bushes. Shurely it wouldnt hurt to miss a couple of trees out here and there to make sure the signs are visible without having to cut back the vegetation all the time.

Spot the Give way sign at the bottom of Bramall Lane.

Or the direction sign on Netherthorpe Road.

These examples are not particularly extreme, but there are plenty that are.

I'll collect a few together.

Edit: Forgot to credit Google Streetview for the pictures.

Sheldon Road.

I think this is one of Sheffield's "saddest" roads. Dark, damp and neglected looking. No light gets to the road or the buildings, even in the middle of summer. In Autumn the gutter, the pavement and most of the front gardens are just a soggy mass of rotting leaves.

The houses are covered from top to bottom in green moss all year round.

Google street view images

The tree on the left gets clobbered regularly (as you can see from the scars). I saw a luton van hit it last year.

The trees are so badly miss-shapen because of all the low branches being taken off that they're not even attractive trees anymore.

I have to say, sadly, that they should be taken out.

Sheldon Road.

I think this is one of Sheffield's "saddest" roads. Dark, damp and neglected looking. No light gets to the road or the buildings, even in the middle of summer. In Autumn the gutter, the pavement and most of the front gardens are just a soggy mass of rotting leaves.

The tree on the left gets clobbered regularly (as you can see from the scars). I saw a luton van hit it last year.

The trees are so badly miss-shapen because of all the low branches being taken off that they're not even attractive trees anymore.

Overgrown Trees, I agree as well as a safety hazard, they also make the city look uncared for. In a lot of cases these are not trees just overgrown out of control bushes.

As for taking photos, many a photo is not possible because of these trees/bushes.

Bochum Parkway Meadowhead

Courtesy of Google SV

Sheldon Road.

The honourable Mrs142sl was saying exactly the same last week as we drove down there. It is indeed a very dark and depressing road because of the trees and I have to agree that these should now be removed and replaced with something more suitable. Sadly I don't think that will happen until they start to fall down themselves as the cost will 'not be justified'

The honourable Mrs142sl was saying exactly the same last week as we drove down there. It is indeed a very dark and depressing road because of the trees and I have to agree that these should now be removed and replaced with something more suitable. Sadly I don't think that will happen until they start to fall down themselves as the cost will 'not be justified'

I'm a tree lover (though I've never felt the need to hug one!) but getting permission to remove an established tree is hard work.

At the entrance to our church is a huge lime tree. It blocks out the light from neighbouring houses, is pushing a wall over, and causes hours of clearing up of leaves etc right through the year and piles drifts of leaves all over the road.

This is in the middle of Greystones, not far from the park and woods, and not an area where trees are scarce, but permission was refused to remove it, though we could remove a third of it. There's a younger tree some yards away, and once that has matured in a few years the Council might let us remove the Lime.