Colour into black and white.

Waterside Echo

I have just renewed my driving licence and after paying £20 and sending a colour photo I have just got it back. So what ? well the photo on it is in black and white, on enquiring about this I was told that the new licence has improved security features not available on the older licence, i e the photo is now in black and white. Any thoughts anyone ?

I have just renewed my driving licence and after paying £20 and sending a colour photo I have just got it back. So what ? well the photo on it is in black and white, on enquiring about this I was told that the new licence has improved security features not available on the older licence, i e the photo is now in black and white. Any thoughts anyone ?

Maybe they can't duplicate a colour image using the laser.

"This is because the laser technology used to burn the image onto the card producing a black and white photo is more secure"

Link to .. www.direct.gov.

The photo on my new passport is in colour like it was on the old one.

I do not have a photo driving licence and until the DVLA forces me to have one I won't bother as I think its a rip off.

My old "photoless" licence is valid from the day I passed my test, which could have been as long ago as my 17th birthday (it wasn't!) and is valid until my 70th birthday, thats up to 57 years of licence for a one off fee.

Now presumably the new photo licences have to be renewed regularly as people age and don't look the same at 70 as they did at 17. they are more expensive licences and they are valid for a shorter period of time.

I also have concerns over my driving entitlement.

The old licences define a car as weight up to 7.5 tons and up to 12 passengers + the driver ( so a mini bus could be driven on it)

The new licences define a car as up to 3.5 tons and up to 6 passengers + the driver, - a reduced entitlement for a bigger fee.

Perhaps WE should tell the DVLA where to shove their black and white and coloured photos and ask for his old licence back lol

Just checked out my last British (motorbike) licence I brought out to Auz with me in 1972. It is a little 10 page booklet, burgundy cover with crown on the front. Cost 1 pound for 3 years, (71 to 74), supplied by Town Clerk, Surrey Place, Sheffield. On the last page are details of an endorsement : Driving a motor vehicle on a restricted road at a speed exceeding 30 miles per hour. Convicted and fined 9 pounds. I think that would have been about 1/3 of my weekly wage at that time.

Just checked out my last British (motorbike) licence I brought out to Auz with me in 1972. It is a little 10 page booklet, burgundy cover with crown on the front. Cost 1 pound for 3 years, (71 to 74), supplied by Town Clerk, Surrey Place, Sheffield. On the last page are details of an endorsement : Driving a motor vehicle on a restricted road at a speed exceeding 30 miles per hour. Convicted and fined 9 pounds. I think that would have been about 1/3 of my weekly wage at that time.

Like one of these then Phil,

from the looks of it the motor vehicle fee had risen to £5:00 by 1976,

but no expiry date is shown here ?

This was my dad's.

The current penalty for this offence is a fine of £60 and 3 penalty points on your licence.