Where exactly was this picture taken from?

Stuart0742

The first is definately on the west bank. I'm not sure about street names but it looks to be in thr region of thr florist pub.

2nd photo, that field on the left looks suspiciously like a golf course. The type of housing looks familar to that of parson cross and birley?

Where's the West Bank? Isn't it in the Holy Land somewhere?

I'm fairly convinced by now that the first picture was took from some point on Stannington Road

I am also convinced that the 2nd picture is on the Manor Park behind City Road Cemetry

It does look as though it could be Birley and I have considered this possibility but it is definately not Parson Cross as this is an area I have not been to and am not at all familiar with.

Where's the West Bank? Isn't it in the Holy Land somewhere?

I'm fairly convinced by now that the first picture was took from some point on Stannington Road

I am also convinced that the 2nd picture is on the Manor Park behind City Road Cemetry

It does look as though it could be Birley and I have considered this possibility but it is definately not Parson Cross as this is an area I have not been to and am not at all familiar with.

Dave it would be much easier if you had written the details on the back of the picture at the time.

My brother [just like you] has a box full of old photgraphs and it's anyone's guess where they were taken.

I must post some on. ;-) :rolleyes:

Dave it would be much easier if you had written the details on the back of the picture at the time.

My brother [just like you] has a box full of old photgraphs and it's anyone's guess where they were taken.

I must post some on. ;-):rolleyes:

Not a box of old photos though so I can't do it

All my photographic collection is in a well ordered (chronologically) negative file and exists basically just as a set of negatives.

There have been prints from them, some in albums, some done for friends and relatives, some done for display, a few just chucked in a box and some of the negatives never actually printed at all.

However, it is the negative collection which has survived almost intact. You can't write on the back of a negative but I do have some negative notes in the file but these tend to refer to entire films of 24 or 36 exposures rather than to individual shots.

Printing photos was slow, laborious and quite expensive (although it was my hobby for many years). It is only in the last year that I have invested in a negative scanner which has digitised much of this collection and Sheffield History has benefited from the results of me doing this.

I see :rolleyes: Well lets have some more, the old ones are the best as they say.

If I come across the odd picture or two where memory fails me and I can't remember where it is, where it was taken from or who's bedroom window it was taken from then I'll post it here for the members to work it out for me. ;-)

Fortunately my memory is still in pretty good condition :huh: (alcohol intake permitting <_< ) and I know exactly what is on most of my photographs. ;-)

Does anyone know where this is or where it could have been taken from?

The person who took the photogragh has forgotten where he took it from

[ no it's not DaveH] but vaguely remembers one or two details.

Lets see what the experts think to see if they tally with the bit of information

that I've got. Taken around the late sixies or early seventies.

Lets see what the experts think to see if they tally with the bit of information

Is it April the first yet, it looks suspiciously like a montage to me the church has a different colouration to the rest of the photo and the image seems confused to the right of the roundabout. Also the church appears to have a lean to starboard relative to the rest of the picture. Of course I may be wrong, according to my missis I usually/always am/are.

HD

Is it April the first yet, it looks suspiciously like a montage to me the church has a different colouration to the rest of the photo and the image seems confused to the right of the roundabout. Also the church appears to have a lean to starboard relative to the rest of the picture. Of course I may be wrong, according to my missis I usually/always am/are.

HD

I think that might just be the angle and the viewpoint, at 1st glance I don't think its Sheffield.

The rd straight forward off the roundabout (just left of the church) seems to be on some sort of bridge, it just does not seem to be Sheffield. I may be wrong as I am a lot when it comes to guessing locations ( see tram location topic lol )

I think that might just be the angle and the viewpoint, at 1st glance I don't think its Sheffield.

The rd straight forward off the roundabout (just left of the church) seems to be on some sort of bridge, it just does not seem to be Sheffield. I may be wrong as I am a lot when it comes to guessing locations ( see tram location topic lol )

I can't place it in Sheffield either. My initial thought was Rotherham, but I have no evidence to back up this hunch.

HD

I'ts a genuine photograph. not been messed with, honest.

I have a feeling this is Durham, possibly taken from a passing train or from the Station or Station Approach, looking down St Godric's Road with Leazes Road leading to the bridge in the background. The church is St Godric's RC, the terrace of houses is Tenter Terrace.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&...006877&z=17 seems to be the area I am rambling about.

HD

Viewpoint is a bit high.

Looks to me like it was taken through someones bedroom window lol

I have a feeling this is Durham, possibly taken from a passing train or from the Station Approach, looking down St Godric's Road with Leazes Road leading to the bridge in the background. The church is St Godric's RC, the terrace of houses is Tenter Terrace.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&...006877&z=17 seems to be the area I am rambling about. Photo taken from somewhere on the left of this area, looking towards the right.

Looking at Google earth, I would agree with you MA, though I would never have guessed at Durham

Courtesy of Google Earth

Looking at Google earth, I would agree with you MA, though I would never have guessed at Durham

Courtesy of Google Earth

I had a nagging feeling all along that I knew the view, although the Durham bit came to me in a moment of inspiration and recollection, having travelled across the viaduct at Durham and seen the view many times over the years.

Can't find any similar views, but there is a picture of St Godric's RC Church here.

It looks like the person who took this picture who had a short memory must have been to Durham then.

I have a feeling this is Durham, possibly taken from a passing train or from the Station or Station Approach, looking down St Godric's Road with Leazes Road leading to the bridge in the background. The church is St Godric's RC, the terrace of houses is Tenter Terrace.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&...006877&z=17 seems to be the area I am rambling about.

I was beginning to wonder myself whether it was Sheffield. Your discription sounds so confident and

the picture of the St Godrics church looks the same.

My brother who took this picture and many more is in a nursing home and his memory is deteriorating,

he thought he had taken this from Bradfield road flats looking on Penistone road but the church is not

the same.

I believe you are right about this one as he used to travel alot by train to football matches in the past.

I will mention Durham to him and see if it sparks the old memory.

Thank you , watch this space.

I was beginning to wonder myself whether it was Sheffield. Your discription sounds so confident and

the picture of the St Godrics church looks the same.

My brother who took this picture and many more is in a nursing home and his memory is deteriorating,

he thought he had taken this from Bradfield road flats looking on Penistone road but the church is not

the same.

I believe you are right about this one as he used to travel alot by train to football matches in the past.

I will mention Durham to him and see if it sparks the old memory.

Thank you , watch this space.

Took this photo from a train at Durham today:

Which, when compared to Ukelele Lady's original, tends to confirm the location as Durham. Rather pleased, as the train was non-stop through Durham, to get such a close match. Looks like there has been some tree (and footbridge and church) growth since the original was taken.

Which, when compared to Ukelele Lady's original, tends to confirm the location as Durham. Rather pleased, as the train was non-stop through Durham, to get such a close match. Looks like there has been some tree (and footbridge and church) growth since the original was taken.

Well done madannie, - what a brilliant, non-Sheffield "Then & Now" picture.

The match is so close that I wonder if Ukelele Lady's friend who took the original also took it from the train to be in so similar a viewpoint.

That's fantastic, you can't get much closer than that as it being the same place.

It could well be the same place.

My elderly brother took the picture and just before Christmas he rang me

to say he'd remembered where it was . When I asked him where he said he'd

written it down so he doesn't forget again. I never saw the piece of paper and

he couldn't remember there and then on the phone. Then he had a stroke and

fell and has been in hospital ever since.

I guess I'll never know if this is the same place but it sure looks like it

to me. Thank you for taking the time to take this picture.