Where exactly was this picture taken from?

Stuart0742

Looking at Dave's photo you can see the a line of bungalows going diagonally accross the photo, this is Rivenin Bank, behind these is a square building (now gone) this square building is directly in line with the fire station tower, by dawing a line back you end up at the top of the Anvil carpark

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&a...48f0e9b6855c221

So Ukelele is not far out

Photos for comparison

Which puts me almost back at the corner of Low Road, or perhaps even slightly further down the hill towards Malin Bridge.

Which puts me almost back at the corner of Low Road, or perhaps even slightly further down the hill towards Malin Bridge.

Topic Split from Parkwood springs topic

You're not far enough over that's not the ski slope, you should be able to see the communication mast top of Parkwood first before the ski slope,

view from Walkley Lane

Yes you're right, I was aiming the camera more to the left to get the Bradfield Rd flats on

but couldn't get both the flats and the fire station on like Dave did.

How DID he do it?

All I know is the back of the fire station is at the side of the lower the bottom end terrace house

where the ladder is up to the window. You could't get a shot like that from ground level it would

have had to be a bit higher up the road.

Daves black and white picture on post 26. :rolleyes:

Different laptop, different room, same wireless network and I can see it all.

Yes you're right, I was aiming the camera more to the left to get the Bradfield Rd flats on

but couldn't get both the flats and the fire station on like Dave did.

How DID he do it?

All I know is the back of the fire station is at the side of the lower the bottom end terrace house

where the ladder is up to the window. You could't get a shot like that from ground level it would

have had to be a bit higher up the road.

Wouldn't you all like to know..... lol

Is there a picture here or is this a wind-up ?

Oh its a wind up alright Richard,

there trying to wind ME up about taking the picture you can't see out of someones bedroom window :o

Top deck?

Which double decker bus goes / went up Stannington Road in 1974, - would it have been the No. 7 or the No. 88 ?

Which double decker bus goes / went up Stannington Road in 1974, - would it have been the No. 7 or the No. 88 ?

Both I think, 88 Roscoe Bank, 7 Stannington.

Both I think, 88 Roscoe Bank, 7 Stannington.

So its possible then, but I don't remember taking ANY pictures from the top deck of a bus.

Having more or less sorted out where I took the photo from (apart from which bedroom window it was lol but it wasn't ;-) ) its time for another picture

Where exactly was this picture taken?

My apologies for the rather poor quality, - you may have guessed that its another MINOX subminiature picture from 9.5mm film

This one was taken in the summer of 1982. I had filed it with some other similar looking pictures of Arbourthorne Playing Fields (some of these others are already in the Arbourthorne Playing Fields thread).

Looking again at the picture it is clearly NOT Arbourthorne as it just doesn't seem to fit any location, there is just too much field, the housing isn't quite right etc.

To me this looks more like somewhere on the Manor, but I haven't a clue where and I'm not really sure of that.

So this is Photo Challenge number 2

Where was DaveH stood when he took this picture? I think I'm fairly safe with this one as I seem to be stood in a field and not near any bedroom windows ;-)

Having more or less sorted out where I took the photo from (apart from which bedroom window it was lol but it wasn't ;-) ) its time for another picture

Where exactly was this picture taken?

My apologies for the rather poor quality, - you may have guessed that its another MINOX subminiature picture from 9.5mm film

This one was taken in the summer of 1982. I had filed it with some other similar looking pictures of Arbourthorne Playing Fields (some of these others are already in the Arbourthorne Playing Fields thread).

Looking again at the picture it is clearly NOT Arbourthorne as it just doesn't seem to fit any location, there is just too much field, the housing isn't quite right etc.

To me this looks more like somewhere on the Manor, but I haven't a clue where and I'm not really sure of that.

So this is Photo Challenge number 2

Where was DaveH stood when he took this picture? I think I'm fairly safe with this one as I seem to be stood in a field and not near any bedroom windows ;-)

They look like the same style houses as on Woodthorpe but I think they're newer than the Woodthorpe Estate.

The metal window frames places them around the 50's I would think - so - Hackenthorpe etc. but on Hackenthorpe there are no terraces as far as I know.

Flat roofed outbuildings - Hackenthorpe again.

The mix of semis and short terraces with central passageways all seem to be an older mix than the buildings look to be.

The other place which comes to mind is Stradbrook but I'm not sure if they have the terraces either.

Does any of that ramble make sense??

They look like the same style houses as on Woodthorpe but I think they're newer than the Woodthorpe Estate.

The metal window frames places them around the 50's I would think - so - Hackenthorpe etc. but on Hackenthorpe there are no terraces as far as I know.

Flat roofed outbuildings - Hackenthorpe again.

The mix of semis and short terraces with central passageways all seem to be an older mix than the buildings look to be.

The other place which comes to mind is Stradbrook but I'm not sure if they have the terraces either.

Does any of that ramble make sense??

Hmm...

Can't remember going to Woodthorpe or Stradbrook

But Hackenthorpe, - Stuart used to live at Hackenthorpe so I went up their fairly regularly.

Could possibly be Hackenthorpe but I am not sure where, - unless Stuart can recognise it.

Hmm...

Can't remember going to Woodthorpe or Stradbrook

But Hackenthorpe, - Stuart used to live at Hackenthorpe so I went up their fairly regularly.

Could possibly be Hackenthorpe but I am not sure where, - unless Stuart can recognise it.

Like Vox says there are no terraces at Hackenthorpe.

What about Birley, around Thornbridge School, or Jaunty

There is a lot of open spaces

Like Vox says there are no terraces at Hackenthorpe.

What about Birley, around Thornbridge School, or Jaunty

There is a lot of open spaces

OK so its not the Rainbow streets at Hackenthorpe,

Suppose it could be Birley / Thornbridge as I knew a couple of people over there.

Really don't know myself on this one as it was on the same film as the Arbourthorne shots, but I can't see it as being Arbourthorne as I know the estate extremely well and i just don't recognise it.

Guest transit

Manor Park Crescent ....the road winds up from Manor Park shops , all way up to Manor Castle on Manor Lane (just noticable top centre)- the greenery to the left is part of the City Rd Cemetry - now that area has graves!

Manor Park Crescent ....the road winds up from Manor Park shops , all way up to Manor Castle on Manor Lane (just noticable top centre)- the greenery to the left is part of the City Rd Cemetry - now that area has graves!

Now that makes sense.

I used to go down there a fair bit when my mum, who used to work for the Co-Op, instead of being kept at the Northern Avenue branch, just a short walk from home, had to go to help out on a regular basis at branches such as jaunty and Manor Park.

It also looks very familiar as that area. I think you're right transit, I think it is Manor Park.

Now, the rear of City Road cemetry.

Somewhere I have got a collection of City road Cemetry pictures for the start of another topic, - when I get round to it.

Now that makes sense.

I used to go down there a fair bit when my mum, who used to work for the Co-Op, instead of being kept at the Northern Avenue branch, just a short walk from home, had to go to help out on a regular basis at branches such as jaunty and Manor Park.

It also looks very familiar as that area. I think you're right transit, I think it is Manor Park.

Now, the rear of City Road cemetry.

Somewhere I have got a collection of City road Cemetry pictures for the start of another topic, - when I get round to it.

Cemetery photo's eh

Halloween posting opportunity or what

Cemetery photo's eh

Halloween posting opportunity or what

On one of my recent "exercise walks" advised by the doctor I made a hasty retreat from the Manor (could have got a NOW picture to go with that mystery picture if I had realised where it was lol ) by cutting through City Road cemetry. Some of the pictures I have already used in the Sheffield During the War topic, - the Blitz memorial and the War memorial ones, but I have others showing the cemetry in general and some of its features and changes in recent years so I was thinking of doing a thread.

You know, like those "guided tours" I did in local parks, - except that this one is a cemetry.

I think you're right there transit.

Exactly the right type of houses.

Central passage terrace, the odd pair of semis, flat roofed outbuildings, the right shaped windows (although the metal frames have gone now), and backing onto open land.

Built in the 1940's - 50's do you think?

I think you're right there transit.

Exactly the right type of houses.

Central passage terrace, the odd pair of semis, flat roofed outbuildings, the right shaped windows (although the metal frames have gone now), and backing onto open land.

Built in the 1940's - 50's do you think?

I am absolutely covinced that it is Manor Park.

Next time I go on a secret and very dangerous photographic mission on the Manor after my recent Manertheyear award I will try and get a now shot to match it.

The first is definately on the west bank. I'm not sure about street names but it looks to be in thr region of thr florist pub.

2nd photo, that field on the left looks suspiciously like a golf course. The type of housing looks familar to that of parson cross and birley?