Where exactly was this picture taken from?

Stuart0742

Dave where was this photo taken from, struggling to work it out

That's why I asked, - I was hoping someone would be able to tell me.

I think its taken from Penistone Road / Middlewood Road looking across the Don valley at the northern part of town.

But I have had 35 years to forget where I took it from :huh:

I think its taken from Penistone Road / Middlewood Road looking across the Don valley at the northern part of town.

Looks like a fire station in the foreground

First one looks like it's taken from Stannington Road with the Rivelin Fire station in the foreground

Second one from Langsett Road

Third same place as second different angle

Fourth one Wood Street

First one looks like it's taken from Stannington Road with the Rivelin Fire station in the foreground

Second one from Langsett Road

Third same place as second different angle

Fourth one Wood Street

That's why we couldn't get the first one, its not on Penistone Road its on Stannington Road looking across Rivelin Valley.

Sorry, - I do find north Sheffield confusing, mainly because I don't go up there very often.

Must start to get out more often again like I used to. (..and thats what my doctor advised as well)

So does the second picture (edging my best bet) show Parkwood Springs?

I agree with neddy, it's the Rivelin Valley Road fire station at the front of the picture

with Bradfield Road flats to the left and Racker Way to the right of the picture.

At the back of the fire station is a building used by the water works.

So we should be OK for someone to try and "then and now" these shots then if we know where they were taken from.

That assumes of course that modern day developments haven't made the now shot an impossibility.

Hi it's nice to be back , with all the posts numbered correctly I can now see all the ones I've missed.

I thought of a "then and now" and as I travel up Stannington road three times a week I thought

I'd take the camera. I can't figure out where you took the fire station from, it was obviously from

some height, I can only guess you were in someones bedroom.

And yes I don't think you could see much for the trees, although they have all been chopped down

where the river is at the juntion.

Hi it's nice to be back , with all the posts numbered correctly I can now see all the ones I've missed.

I thought of a "then and now" and as I travel up Stannington road three times a week I thought

I'd take the camera. I can't figure out where you took the fire station from, it was obviously from

And yes I don't think you could see much for the trees, although they have all been chopped down

OOps!

Caught out again! :o

Actually, I don't think I was in someones bedroom.

OOps!

Caught out again! :o

Actually, I don't think I was in someones bedroom.

Go on Man, admit it, it was a while ago !

But last night ........ :o

Go on Man, admit it, it was a while ago !

But last night ........ :o

Now what was it that Bill Clinton said when he was questioned about Monica Lewinsky ;-)

Was he telling the truth?

Looking at the angle on google street view it looks to be just above the Anvil pub.

Looking at the angle on google street view it looks to be just above the Anvil pub.

Is that near the tower blocks, sorry don't know Stannington at all.

No the fire station is much lower down than that.

As I passed today I think Dave must have been in the upstairs room of the

"Gas Club" I don't know the proper name of the club but I'm sure someone

will know it. Just where the google comes in on this post is where I was today

and looking across you are looking much higher up than the fire station....

and that was from a bedroom window.

No the fire station is much lower down than that.

As I passed today I think Dave must have been in the upstairs room of the

"Gas Club" I don't know the proper name of the club but I'm sure someone

will know it. Just where the google comes in on this post is where I was today

and looking across you are looking much higher up than the fire station....

and that was from a bedroom window.

He seems to have been in lots of bedrooms in the area, must have been a bit of a lad in them days lol

He seems to have been in lots of bedrooms in the area, must have been a bit of a lad in them days lol

Hang on a minute, I thought this was a topic about Parkwood Springs. :)

I knew it was something to do with springs. lol

It was about Parkwood Springs, but it now seems to be a "who's bedroom was DaveH in to take this picture" thread.

It's even got Stuart so excited he has started replying to his own posts.

It's my fault the thread has gone off topic though as when I posted this view over the Rivelin Valley I thought it was taken over the Don valley towards Parkwood Springs.

At least I know where I took the picture from now, or at least I think I do (corner of Stannington Road and Low Road).

I don't remember being in anyones bedroom though, just being stood on the street corner.

Dave where was this photo taken from, struggling to work it out

I've been trying to work it out too so I could get a Then and Now pic but it seems

impossible to get one from the same angle. This is what I have.

This is taken from outside the Anvil carpark. You can see the Ski Village at Parkwood Springs

and also the top of the tower at the fire station to the right of the picture.

This is a close up to the back of the fire station [ Stannington Rd] which is very overgrown.

It was taken by the side of the lower end house of the block which I believe you can see

on DaveH picture. You can just see the top of the chimney pot at the bottom of his photogragh.

I've been trying to work it out too so I could get a Then and Now pic but it seems

This is taken from outside the Anvil carpark. You can see the Ski Village at Parkwood Springs

This is a close up to the back of the fire station [ Stannington Rd] which is very overgrown.

It was taken by the side of the lower end house of the block which I believe you can see

on DaveH picture. You can just see the top of the chimney pot at the bottom of his photogragh.

Changed a bit then since 1974.

I think I may have been at the junction of Stannington Road and Low Road.

Would you get a better view to match from the bottom end of Low road before the bend?

Changed a bit then since 1974.

I think I may have been at the junction of Stannington Road and Low Road.

Would you get a better view to match from the bottom end of Low road before the bend?

No , much too low down. I've tried all angles. You were above the chimney pots. and whats that

flash at the bottom of your picture? Reflection from glass?? he he lol

and whats that flash at the bottom of your picture? Reflection from glass?? he helol

The pictures were taken with a 1948 Contax III camera fitted with a CARL ZEISS 6 element uncoated f2 SONNAR lens. As the lens was uncoated and it was practically impossible to obtain a lens hood with the required thread size it had a tendancy to produce "flare" which is what you see here. In colour pictures it comes out yellow / orange. Many of my pictures taken from 1974 show this tendancy to flare (not just this one) and it is a clear indication that I had used this particular camera and lens combination.

Well that's my excuse and I'm sticking with it :rolleyes:

No , much too low down. I've tried all angles. You were above the chimney pots.

In that case I have no idea where I was.

At the top of Stannington Hill there were some taller building, tower blocks (don't know if they are still there, council doesn't like high rise buildings any more)

Could I have been up there? I think that is a long way up the hill though.

The pictures were taken with a 1948 Contax III camera fitted with a CARL ZEISS 6 element uncoated f2 SONNAR lens. As the lens was uncoated and it was practically impossible to obtain a lens hood with the required thread size it had a tendancy to produce "flare" which is what you see here. In colour pictures it comes out yellow / orange. Many of my pictures taken from 1974 show this tendancy to flare (not just this one) and it is a clear indication that I had used this particular camera and lens combination.

Well that's my excuse and I'm sticking with it :rolleyes:

Looking at Dave's photo you can see the a line of bungalows going diagonally accross the photo, this is Rivenin Bank, behind these is a square building (now gone) this square building is directly in line with the fire station tower, by dawing a line back you end up at the top of the Anvil carpark

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&a...48f0e9b6855c221

So Ukelele is not far out

Photos for comparison

You're not far enough over that's not the ski slope, you should be able to see the communication mast top of Parkwood first before the ski slope,

view from Walkley Lane

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ie=UTF8&...978113&z=16