Google Camera

Stuart0742

I thought that they were supposed to blur car reg plates and peoples faces but my car reg is clearly visible and my next door neighbour can be seen looking over his hedge.

I thought that they were supposed to blur car reg plates and peoples faces but my car reg is clearly visible and my next door neighbour can be seen looking over his hedge.

The software they use is supposed to recognise car number plates and faces and automatically block them.

If someone had to manually go through every image and blur out faces and plates themselves it would be a mammoth task.

Unfortunately the software used to do this automatically isn't infallable and it does make mistakes in identifying things so that some faces / car plates can slip through the security net as it were.

However, there is a way of notifying Google to let them know of such security breaches and they will then correct these manually for you.

Don't ask me how to contact Google to do this though as I have never had the need to do this.

I am sure someone on the site will know what to do.

A Google pedle tricycle to do street view images of the zoo :blink:

What will they think of next? The Google unicycle doing views of the circus I suppose lol ...

or is that done by the Google car with headlamps that squirt water and the doors fall off he he

They're using the same thing to do tours of some National Trust properties in the UK too. (Here)

I enjoyed the stroll to Malham Cove!

How many have noticed that we now have Google street in 3D,

a shame but I do not have any 3D glasses B) to try this out ... :(

How many have noticed that we now have Google street in 3D,

a shame but I do not have any 3D glasses B) to try this out ... :(

When I spotted this post by Steve I immediately recognised it as a 1950's red - green analglyph version of 3D rather than any more modern implementation.

Modern versions use polarising filters to maintain full colour but they don'y work with TV (yet) as the light from the screen cannot be given 2 different polarisations (yet)

However, the 1950's analglyph system does work with TV and computers and was famously proven to do so in a pioneering set of broadcasts by the newly formed Channel 4 in 1982.

I do have a pair of red - green analglyph glasses so found them out to view Steve's image.

I can confirm that the 3D effect does work quite effectively.

So how do we get to access Google Street 3D as opposed to Google Street 2D, and is the 3D coverage as good as the 2D coverage.

When I spotted this post by Steve I immediately recognised it as a 1950's red - green analglyph version of 3D rather than any more modern implementation.

Modern versions use polarising filters to maintain full colour but they don'y work with TV (yet) as the light from the screen cannot be given 2 different polarisations (yet)

However, the 1950's analglyph system does work with TV and computers amnd was famously proven to do so in a pioneering set of broadcasts by the newly formed Channel 4 in 1982.

I do have a pair of red - green analglyph glasses so found them out to view Steve's image.

I can confirm that the 3D effect does work quite effectively.

So how do we get to access Google Street 3D as opposed to Google Street 2D, and is the 3D coverage as good as the 2D coverage.

OK, just been on Google Street and they have changed it.

Where the drag out little gold man that looks like an oscar award is, underneath him is a mans head with red - green glasses on. Clicking it makes him put the glasses up on his head or over his eyes and so toggles between 2D and 3D.

Given it a quick try out and at seems that most of the coverage is in 3D. Our house up here at Manor Top is in 3D.

So, we all need to just get some of those stylish red - green glasses, B) and off we go into the world of 3D.

I have some glasses but my problem is I wear glasses anyway, - try wearing 2 pair :blink:

Without one of them (the red - green filters) you can't see in 3D

Without the other pair ( the prescription lenses) you can't see much at all.

A flying pair of pliers perhaps :unsure:

Apparently someone leaving the pliers on top of the camera after a spot of maintenance. Certainly looks a bit strange.

A flying pair of pliers perhaps :unsure:

Pliers it is. If you drive further south on Whitehall Road you can see an even better view.

Interesting phenomenon.

The Google street images have been available for some time now, but overnight they can suddenly offer us a 3D version of Google street.

Now to produce a 3D version requires 2 pictures to be taken simultaneously, from slightly different viewpoints (roughly with the seperation of human eyes in the head) and to be taking through red and green filters respectively.

For Google to offer us this now seems to indicate that they must have taken the original pictures with a camera (the Google car roof camera) that was capable of producing a stereoscopic 3D pair and have some way of removing the filter colour cast to offer the 2D version.

Looks like a lot of forward planning by Google to me.

Pliers it is. If you drive further south on Whitehall Road you can see an even better view.

Interesting phenomenon.

Some nice cladding at No.43 lol

Apparently someone leaving the pliers on top of the camera after a spot of maintenance. Certainly looks a bit strange.

Looks even stranger in 3D view madannie,

The house in the background jumps into 3D, which brings it to the foreground.

But the pliers are apparently not "3D able" and they remain as a 2D image on the same picture. :blink:

Intersting why that should happen :huh:

Perhaps it is an alien spacecraft after all <_<

I can't find any thing which explains that it's a new feature and what it's for.

Do they just expect everybody to know that you need glasses to view it, or where to get them from.

Not a word anywhere that I can find.

I can't find any thing which explains that it's a new feature and what it's for.

Do they just expect everybody to know that you need glasses to view it, or where to get them from.

Not a word anywhere that I can find.

To be honest I thought it was an April Fool joke, but it seems to have gone on too long!

To be honest I thought it was an April Fool joke, but it seems to have gone on too long!

Must admit that I thought it was an April fool joke when Steve first posted about it but I recognised the tell tale red green blurring around object edges in the image which reveal it as a 3D analglyph.

Seems genuine and it does work.

By the way, - who started the April fools joke last year that they were going to reopen the hole in the road?

That may just be wishful thinking on our part , but I bet a lot of guests were taken in by it! lol

You could make your own 3 D Glasses. ( its after the advert )

http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-make-3d-glasses

WWW.videojug.com, great website, look for the video of "How to peel a boiled egg"

"How to peel a boiled" egg :blink:

Followed by "How to crack open a banana" lol

You could make your own 3 D Glasses. ( its after the advert )

http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-make-3d-glasses

I did make a pair of those but they didn't work. :(

I did make a pair of those but they didn't work. :(

Is that because dogs have very poor colour vision? lol

It isn't that clear on Google if their analglyphs are red - green or red - blue.

Due to the colour balances and temperatures the green works best projected onto a cinema screen and the blue is better on TV / computer monitors.