Trouble with the boiler

RichardB

I have heard many a back boiler rumbling and gurgling,

and have also in the past been told stories about some exploding

and blowing the chimney breast out.

Anyone ever experienced this,

or know someone it's happened to,

could it all be a tale ?

A domestic boiler usually has built in safety features to prevent a build up of pressure and of course they do not need to work under any real pressure at, It is hardly necessary to boil the water to generate steam just to produce hot water for the household hot water system, or even for the central heating.

However, any sort of blockage which could result in a build up of steam pressure could cause an explosion, - I suspect this would be possible but very unlikely if I was doing a health and safety risk assessment.

Then again, forgetting coal fired back boilers in the chimney breast, most modern ones are gas fired. Now I suspect a gas explosion through that auto pilot lighting and cutting off of the gas and occasionally malfunctioning is much more likely.

Adjusted - Not massively knowledgeable about boilers, you may have noticed - just having a laugh.

Good job its only a fictional boiler, - what do you boil in it?

Christian missionaries that dared to venture into darkest Africa in the 19th century?

Unfortunately boilers do not come in standard sizes as such.

Stuart0742 and SteveHB can remember someone bringing a lorry down Granville Road (a fairly steep hill) in the 1960's, going straight across Granville square roundabout and straight into the boozer on the opposite side (the Montgomery?? not sure of name any more) but unfortunately no boiler involved so I suppose it doesn't count.

Now in the early 1960's I was in my dads car as he was driving it down City Road to its junction with Duke Street. We were going to visit my grandmother on Park Hill Flats.

As we approached the traffic lights at the junction they changed to red so my dad started to come down the gearbox.

The car we were in was a 1951 Triumph Mayflower, which if anyone else has owned one will know that the gearlever is in the place where the left and right turn indicator and windscreen wiper switches are in a modern car. This novel gear lever was connected to the gearbox with a series of linkages down the steering column which were held together by split pins. On changing gear these linkages promptly fell to pieces leaving dad with a car locked in gear now moving too fast and too close to the changing red lights to stop.

Seeing his chance, and a clear route, instead of going down Duke Street he swung right onto the road which leads up to Hyde Park and is on a more level gradient (forgot its name??).

At this corner stands the New Inn, - Duke Street, at the time run by my mate Burkey's (Brian Burke) dad.

As my dad was forced to take the corner rather fast he went a little wide and I think just clipped the pavement.

A bit wider and we could have gone straight through the New Inn!

Now in the early 1960's I was in my dads car as he was driving it down City Road to its junction with Duke Street. We were going to visit my grandmother on Park Hill Flats.

As we approached the traffic lights at the junction they changed to red so my dad started to come down the gearbox.

The car we were in was a 1951 Triumph Mayflower, which if anyone else has owned one will know that the gearlever is in the place where the left and right turn indicator and windscreen wiper switches are in a modern car. This novel gear lever was connected to the gearbox with a series of linkages down the steering column which were held together by split pins. On changing gear these linkages promptly fell to pieces leaving dad with a car locked in gear now moving too fast and too close to the changing red lights to stop.

Seeing his chance, and a clear route, instead of going down Duke Street he swung right onto the road which leads up to Hyde Park and is on a more level gradient (forgot its name??).

At this corner stands the New Inn, - Duke Street, at the time run by my mate Burkey's (Brian Burke) dad.

As my dad was forced to take the corner rather fast he went a little wide and I think just clipped the pavement.

A bit wider and we could have gone straight through the New Inn!

Should we put that down as a possible earlier closure date for the New Inn then ?

Should we put that down as a possible earlier closure date for the New Inn then ?

More likely to have been an earlier closure date for DaveH and his dad :o

More likely to have been an earlier closure date for DaveH and his dad :o

I do have a special fondness for boozers from before I was born ... people may have noticed. My Uncle once drove me over a roundabout in an ambulance converted into a Fruit and Veg delivery vehicle - would be before 23rd Feb 1973.

I don't understand the Regent's rear exit door on the 95 route but I do appreciate the input/the content and Ceegee's photo is fab, the big windowed shop just behind the car was a second-hand/junk shop in about 1975 - just prior to obliteration I think.

I do have a special fondness for boozers from before I was born ...

Is that a special fondness for destroying them with fictional boilers of highly improbable specification. lol