Trouble with the boiler

RichardB

No, not the wife, the boiler - the one that does the heating, the hot water, not air, the one that means I don't need to take a cold water shower at 5:30 am.

Anyway, despite a 8am-1pm appointment it got sorted at 5:40pm when the engineer showed up and blew some compressed air over everything at random.

Least I can "remove the barnacles" tomorrow morning in comfort.

No, not the wife, the boiler - the one that does the heating, the hot water, not air, the one that means I don't need to take a cold water shower at 5:30 am.

Anyway, despite a 8am-1pm appointment it got sorted at 5:40pm when the engineer showed up and blew some compressed air over everything at random.

Ey Up Richard, Why is YOUR post (you had to have your boiler repaired) appearing with MY avitar (Vulcan) to the left but with your details (nearly 11,000 posts)

Is it another "quirk of the system" or have you "borrowed" my identity?

Must admit that I "borrowed" that picture from elsewhere (very naughty of me).

I chose Vulcan because it was very Sheffield and of course it was also the editorial column on page 6 of THE STAR for many years, - how many "posts" were made there? Looking back I wish now I had chosen "VULCAN" or "EY NARDEN" as a username as well because DaveH is too easy to trace and people are trying to find out just a bit too much about me.

Dare I mention the Parkwood Springs thread? :o

Ey Up Richard, Why is YOUR post (you had to have your boiler repaired) appearing with MY avitar (Vulcan) to the left but with your details (nearly 11,000 posts)

Is it another "quirk of the system" or have you "borrowed" my identity?

Must admit that I "borrowed" that picture from elsewhere (very naughty of me).

I chose Vulcan because it was very Sheffield and of course it was also the editorial column on page 6 of THE STAR for many years, - how many "posts" were made there? Looking back I wish now I had chosen "VULCAN" or "EY NARDEN" as a username as well because DaveH is too easy to trace and people are trying to find out just a bit too much about me.

Dare I mention the Parkwood Springs thread? :o

Stuart reports avitars displaying normally on his computer but on mine ALL Richards posts appear with my avitar, - very strange

Perhaps we could rename the thread from "trouble with the boiler" to "trouble with the avitar" lol

Stuart reports avitars displaying normally on his computer but on mine ALL Richards posts appear with my avitar, - very strange

Perhaps we could rename the thread from "trouble with the boiler" to "trouble with the avitar" lol

Indeed, all avatars are looking fine and correct here at home (both laptops = not tried the third); I'd like to call for a server reboot as a matter of course.

Indeed, all avatars are looking fine and correct here at home (both laptops = not tried the third); I'd like to call for a server reboot as a matter of course.

Yes I agree, every day there seems to be some strange happening

Daveh see the wrong avataors

Ukelele Lady losing posts

Richardb having posing problems

and so on

Richardb having posing problems

and so on

Listen Pal, I've never had posing problems - it's the weekend and time for the Taffetta ballgown and tiara again, this time set off with a smelly pair of sturdy boots because I'm off to a local farm to collect a vehicle full of steaming "horse-remnants" :rolleyes:

Didn't have time to go omline last night but today all seems fine again, - all avitars present and correct.

Strange how these things happen.

Didn't have time to go omline last night but today all seems fine again, - all avitars present and correct.

Strange how these things happen.

Is Richard still having posing problems

Is Richard still having posing problems

Don't know, he hasn't said, - think he's gone out in his taffeta ballgown and tiarra lol

So back to your boiler

I don't have central heating being "all electric" so I don't have all these boiler problems unless the thing starts leaking or the electric immersion heater burns itself out.

Now going back a few years to mt Sheffield Steam club days as safety officer at the traction engine rally.

Have you got a current boiler test certificate?

Are you hydraulic tested up to 400psi?

What is your gauge red lined at for maximum working pressure?

Are the mudhole and inspection doors sealed with asbestos or synthetic gaskets.

Is the water gauge fitted with safety protectors in case you catch it with a shovel while stoking the firebox?

Are the firebox stays intact and sound?

Are the tubes liable to leak at working temperature and pressure?

Compared with this lot domestic boilers must be a piece of cake to service.

Are the mudhole and inspection doors sealed with asbestos or synthetic gaskets.

Is the water gauge fitted with safety protectors in case you catch it with a shovel while stoking the firebox?

This all sounds too personal for SheffiedHistory :o :rolleyes:

I suppose it does but steam engine men will know what I am on about. ;-)

I appreciate your expertise in an area I cannot claim to have any knowledge of. Just having a laugh :)

I appreciate your expertise in an area I cannot claim to have any knowledge of. Just having a laugh :)

All in all Richard, boilers are all a load of hassle in the long run.

Inefficient, high maintainance and usually expensive to repair or replace. :(

Looking at this topic keeps reminding me of a pub that was in my area,

'The Boilers' is now long gone, but that wasn't the real name of the PH.

I know the answer and also how it came to be known by it's nick-name,

does anyone else?

Looking at this topic keeps reminding me of a pub that was in my area,

'The Boilers' is now long gone, but that wasn't the real name of the PH.

I know the answer and also how it came to be known by it's nick-name,

does anyone else?

Don't know where it was or what its real name is / was

But was it called "the boiler" after a particularly sadistic landlady :o

Don't know where it was or what its real name is / was

But was it called "the boiler" after a particularly sadistic landlady :o

No ! nothing to do with an 'old' 'Boiler' at all .. lol

This one fell off a waggon / lorry.

The PH was called The Sportsman

and it stood at the top of Oak St, on the corner of Well Rd.

Known locally as The Boilers,

it got the name around 1896 after a large boiler fell from a cart that

was transporting it up Gleadless Rd.

The boiler rolled down Well Rd and embedded itself in the wall of the pub.

Crop from O/S map #21

The PH was called The Sportsman

and it stood at the top of Oak St, on the corner of Well Rd.

Known locally as The Boilers,

it got the name around 1896 after a large boiler fell from a cart that

was transporting it up Gleadless Rd.

The boiler rolled down Well Rd and embedded itself in the wall of the pub.

Crop from O/S map #21

Not heard that one before Steve, but as boilers are usually cylindrical as this shape is best to contain and withstand high internal pressure it would certainly roll down a hill well.

Not heard that one before Steve, but as boilers are usually cylindrical as this shape is best to contain and withstand high internal pressure it would certainly roll down a hill well.

The SheffieldHistory "Rolling a big Boiler downa Big Hill into a Pub Challenge" is hereby launched.

The boiler must be of a standard size and weight, what are the nominations for Pub/Hill please ? Obviously the bigger and steeper the hill the better. This being a history site the Pub need no longer exist, so, I'll throw in a starter, the Yew Tree at Malin Bridge, from the top of Dykes Lane - should prove exciting.

Entries need not be overly serious, taking out the Freemasons from Crookes Top is quite acceptable :rolleyes:

The SheffieldHistory "Rolling a big Boiler downa Big Hill into a Pub Challenge" is hereby launched.

The boiler must be of a standard size and weight, what are the nominations for Pub/Hill please ? Obviously the bigger and steeper the hill the better. This being a history site the Pub need no longer exist, so, I'll throw in a starter, the Yew Tree at Malin Bridge, from the top of Dykes Lane - should prove exciting.

Entries need not be overly serious, taking out the Freemasons from Crookes Top is quite acceptable :rolleyes:

Unfortunately boilers do not come in standard sizes as such.

Stuart0742 and SteveHB can remember someone bringing a lorry down Granville Road (a fairly steep hill) in the 1960's, going straight across Granville square roundabout and straight into the boozer on the opposite side (the Montgomery?? not sure of name any more) but unfortunately no boiler involved so I suppose it doesn't count.

Unfortunately boilers do not come in standard sizes as such.

Stuart0742 and SteveHB can remember someone bringing a lorry down Granville Road (a fairly steep hill) in the 1960's, going straight across Granville square roundabout and straight into the boozer on the opposite side (the Montgomery?? not sure of name any more) but unfortunately no boiler involved so I suppose it doesn't count.

It's a standard SheffieldHistory fictional boiler OK, 18 feet long, weighs 2.5 tonnes, black, 17 feet circumference at the thick end, 1.5 feet at the thin end, no rudder, operates at 17,000 PSI (with following wind), five-speed, manual, green, tall, lots of doors, vegan, likes a drink at the weekend, allergic to nuts ...

now, lets destroy some non-existant Pubs with a fictional "standard SheffieldHistory boiler".

It's a standard SheffieldHistory fictional boiler OK, 18 feet long, weighs 2.5 tonnes, black, 17 feet circumference at the thick end, 1.5 feet at the thin end, no rudder, operates at 17,000 PSI (with following wind), five-speed, manual, green, tall, lots of doors, vegan, likes a drink at the weekend, allergic to nuts ...

now, lets destroy some non-existant Pubs with a fictional "standard SheffieldHistory boiler".

With those dimensions (pretty big) and a weight of only 2.5 tons the metal would have to be pretty thin and with that absolutely collosal pressure of 17,000psi (most steam engines work on less than 250psi) it would probably just destroy itself instantly, BANG taking with it any pubs within range of it.

I have heard many a back boiler rumbling and gurgling,

and have also in the past been told stories about some exploding

and blowing the chimney breast out.

Anyone ever experienced this,

or know someone it's happened to,

could it all be a tale ?

It's a standard SheffieldHistory fictional boiler OK, 18 feet long, weighs 21.5 tonnes, black, 17 feet circumference at the thick end, 1.5 feet at the thin end, stabilisers, operates at 175 brake horse power (with following wind), horse powered, still tall, lots of doors; smells of goats-cheese, Born to be Wild, allergic to ...Turkisk Delight adverts from the late 70's.

Adjusted - Not massively knowledgeable about boilers, you may have noticed - just having a laugh.