Little Sport

mickjj

Who here remembers the little sport cartoon that used to appear on the back page of the Star. Here is one from 1962.

SURE DO MICK JJ. CANNOT EVER REMEMBER SEEING ONE THAT DID NOT MAKE ME LAUGH.

DO YOU ALSO REMEMBER THE CARTOON DRAWINGS ON FRONT OF GREEN UN. THE BLADE,OWL.ROTHER BIRD, BUT WHAT WERE THE OTHERS,BARNSLEY DONNY AND I THINK CHESTERFIELDS WERE SPIRES.

Guest Old Canny Street Kid

SURE DO MICK JJ. CANNOT EVER REMEMBER SEEING ONE THAT DID NOT MAKE ME LAUGH.

DO YOU ALSO REMEMBER THE CARTOON DRAWINGS ON FRONT OF GREEN UN. THE BLADE,OWL.ROTHER BIRD, BUT WHAT WERE THE OTHERS,BARNSLEY DONNY AND I THINK CHESTERFIELDS WERE SPIRES.

Talking of old cartoons and cartoonists, how about some memories of people like Harry Heap. He was superb on both sports and the theatres between the late 1930s and the 1960s. That was in The Star. In the Telegraph many years ago Harris was a very good cartoonist, and, of course, in later years Ralph Whitworth was brilliant. (The Star nicked him after he had made his name on the Telegraph!). There were a number of other cartoonists around in the 1930s and early 1940s, all long forgotten unfortunately. Someone ought to get Martin Dawes to get a topic going in his diary in The Star.

Talking of old cartoons and cartoonists, how about some memories of people like Harry Heap. He was superb on both sports and the theatres between the late 1930s and the 1960s. That was in The Star. In the Telegraph many years ago Harris was a very good cartoonist, and, of course, in later years Ralph Whitworth was brilliant. (The Star nicked him after he had made his name on the Telegraph!). There were a number of other cartoonists around in the 1930s and early 1940s, all long forgotten unfortunately. Someone ought to get Martin Dawes to get a topic going in his diary in The Star.

Just an add to the earlier note, I wonder if anyone knows anything about an artist called L.R. Briautt, who did some fine work in the Telegraph in the late 1930s and early 1940s. In the Telegraph Football Guides he did cartoons of Ossie Owl and Bertie Blade, plus characters representing all the other League clubs in the region.

I am really keen to find something out about L.R. Briautt.

Just an add to the earlier note, I wonder if anyone knows anything about an artist called L.R. Briautt, who did some fine work in the Telegraph in the late 1930s and early 1940s. In the Telegraph Football Guides he did cartoons of Ossie Owl and Bertie Blade, plus characters representing all the other League clubs in the region.

I am really keen to find something out about L.R. Briautt.

As you will see on the LR Briault thread, I have, since the above was written, found out who this artist-cartoonist was, and some very interesting material too! I had initially misread this man's surname as ending in a double t and this was one reason why it took me so long to find info!

HI OKSL

One cartoon that always sticks in my mind was the attached ;

This was reprinted in the Wednesday vs Man Utd programme on 7th December 1974 and must date from the 1968 season. Do you know of the cartoonist ? I think it reads Joe Thomas - do you know of him?

HI OKSL

One cartoon that always sticks in my mind was the attached ;

This was reprinted in the Wednesday vs Man Utd programme on 7th December 1974 and must date from the 1968 season. Do you know of the cartoonist ? I think it reads Joe Thomas - do you know of him?

Those were the days of top notch football, 51,000 real fans watching 22 real footballers. We shall never see the likes of them, or indeed cartoonists of that ilk again.

Those were the days of top notch football, 51,000 real fans watching 22 real footballers. We shall never see the likes of them, or indeed cartoonists of that ilk again.

I remember Joe Thomas from way back. I am sure that he is the one who, in the 50s, used to stand outside the Wednesday ground selling his football caricatures as cards (about the size of cig cards), but I have no memory of him being attached to any local paper. I doubt if he was linked to The Star, for Heap was not a man who would encourage competition!

By the way, I have a notion that one of Joe Thomas's caricatures that has survived, of Wednesday's Jackie Robinson, was especially popular, so this takes us back to the 1940s. This was reproduced in the book The Blades and the Owls, published some years ago.

If anyone is really interested, I would suggest they put a new thread on this site under Joe Thomas's name, to highlight it, and this may provoke an answer. It would be interesting to know. Also why not put it on Sheff Forum too?

When my scanner is fixed, I will try to remember to post a copy of the Robinson caricature in the hope that it helps remind someone about the Joe Thomas story.

I remember Joe Thomas from way back. I am sure that he is the one who, in the 50s, used to stand outside the Wednesday ground selling his football caricatures as cards (about the size of cig cards), but I have no memory of him being attached to any local paper. I doubt if he was linked to The Star, for Heap was not a man who would encourage competition!

By the way, I have a notion that one of Joe Thomas's caricatures that has survived, of Wednesday's Jackie Robinson, was especially popular, so this takes us back to the 1940s. This was reproduced in the book The Blades and the Owls, published some years ago.

If anyone is really interested, I would suggest they put a new thread on this site under Joe Thomas's name, to highlight it, and this may provoke an answer. It would be interesting to know. Also why not put it on Sheff Forum too?

When my scanner is fixed, I will try to remember to post a copy of the Robinson caricature in the hope that it helps remind someone about the Joe Thomas story.

Is this the one OKSL - I hope the author won't mind us posting this!

Is this the one OKSL - I hope the author won't mind us posting this!

Yes, that's the one. I doubt if the author will mind. Tough luck if he does!

Yes, that's the one. I doubt if the author will mind. Tough luck if he does!

There's a couple of Heaps in that book - I might post them as well!

There's a couple of Heaps in that book - I might post them as well!

By all means, do. I may add some of my own in the appropriate place. For instance, if I had one of Cec Coldwell, I'd put it in the CC tribute rather than here.

By all means, do. I may add some of my own in the appropriate place. For instance, if I had one of Cec Coldwell, I'd put it in the CC tribute rather than here.

Just to get back to Joe Thomas, I have a feeling that he may have worked for the old Sheffield & Rotherham Daily Independent before the war. The Independent was amalgamated with the Sheffield Telegraph shortly before the outbreak of the war, and Joe may well have lost his job. I'd be surprised if someone somewhere doesn't know about Joe's background and history.

Who here remembers the little sport cartoon that used to appear on the back page of the Star. Here is one from 1962.

What would be interesting is to know the identity of the man who drew Little Sport. The name he used on his cartoons was Rouson.

Anybody got any clues?

Intriguingly, an earlier reference to L.R. Briault, who drew football cartoons in the Sheffield Telegraph up to 1944 (much earlier than Little Sport) had the full name of Louis Ranson Briault. Ranson is not far from Rouson.

JOE THOMAS Cartoonist (Sheffield) 

Hi, I don’t know Sheffield! However  I came across Joe Thomas’s Cartoon work at the Spitfire Museum at at ex station RAF Manston. I just put his name into the internet & this Sheffield site came up. Please see his work below which suggests he was an RAF recruit during WW2. He has a nice style I’m so pleased he seemed to make a name for himself in post War Sheffield. I’m a jobbing Cartoonist myself & it’s cheering to see this talented lad managed to get stuff published. Interesting too, that the Football Cartoon in a local paper was so fair minded, giving Man Utd credit for their skills whilst celebrating a Wednesday come back. 

E43E3AE8-40D1-4750-8A4A-A866136D9E01.jpeg