Sheffield steel for the cars of the past.

Waterside Echo

After 50 years use I still have a few Gordon sockets and spanners left.

Sheffields best tools,

Made in works named after a tea growing area in north east India <_< and advertised by a dancing Scotsman logo :blink:

I'd never even considered what the car was made from, or where the material came from. More fool me.

Are there any pictures of the unfinished product anyone, please ?

Further to my last post, there is quite a bit about Delorian cars on Wikipedia I have just noticed. Apparently all the production cars were supplied unpainted apart from a very limited number with "gold plated panels" used for promotional purposes. The cars were basically clad in fibreglass panels with a thin stainless steel outer skin. It seems that a number of surviving cars have now been painted although how they get paint to stick to stainless I've no idea. The main problem seems to be that bumps cannot be filled and painted over as they can be with a conventional painted steel car. Although apparently there is no shortage of replacement panels after car production was ceased suddenly.

The cars were basically clad in fibreglass panels with a thin stainless steel outer skin.

So rather than being all stainless steel it was actually glass fibre with a very thin outer layer of stainless steel :blink:

If I had known that 30 years ago I would have had my old Reliant 3 wheeler given a thin outer coating of stainless steel as well lol

Mind you, it would have to be very thin on a Reliant to keep it below that 410kg kerbside weight limit <_<