Clough Road,Bramall Road, St Mary`s

julie leach

Hello,

I`v been tracing my family tree which has thrown up many questions about where my mothers family lived during the war particularly the house they rented at 79 Clough Road. It was reported via family members to have been a private school before the 1st world war and commissioned by the war office during the war. My family rented it from around 1939 till 1979 and as grandchildren, which we were many spent hours with my cousins in the area, climbing over the church wall, watching the changes to the church yard and other developments. One of my family claims that the stone pillars that stood either side of the steps up to the front door of 79 had the words " Clough House " chiseled into the stone but on cross checking census references " Clough House " was on Charlotte Road. The house also had a stone " Head " mounted high up above the front bedroom window. Who he was and why he was there we have never been able to prove, Duke of Norfolk may be!!

Hello,

I`v been tracing my family tree which has thrown up many questions about where my mothers family lived during the war particularly the house they rented at 79 Clough Road. It was reported via family members to have been a private school before the 1st world war and commissioned by the war office during the war. My family rented it from around 1939 till 1979 and as grandchildren, which we were many spent hours with my cousins in the area, climbing over the church wall, watching the changes to the church yard and other developments. One of my family claims that the stone pillars that stood either side of the steps up to the front door of 79 had the words " Clough House " chiseled into the stone but on cross checking census references " Clough House " was on Charlotte Road. The house also had a stone " Head " mounted high up above the front bedroom window. Who he was and why he was there we have never been able to prove, Duke of Norfolk may be!!

Hello Julie,

sorry I can't help out with any history of 79 Clough Road,

but it looks to be still standing, with some alterations.

It being a corner house on the junction with Charlotte Road explains the two addresse's.

Link to .. O/S map #23

By the way the corner house looks to be the same on a 1904 map.

(images taken from Google SV)

Thanks for information and pics Stevie B, I had already checked out google maps and as you can see the house has been altered. The stone pillars are long gone as is the stone head but the memories are still there.