Convent on Minto Road, Hillsborough??

dollzed

Hi all,

Does any body remember a convent somewhere on Minto Road ,Hillsborough around the time of the start of the first world war?

I'm tracing my family tree and it looks as though i had a relative brought up there from around 1913 to 1927 approx, i have no idea where it was although some elderly family members of mine believe it to have been near the bottom near to Middlewood Road.

If anyone has any recollection of said convent i would be very grateful as then i may be able to gather some info on its history. :rolleyes:

Regards.

I think I read somewhere it was an orphanage.

Hi all,

Does any body remember a convent somewhere on Minto Road ,Hillsborough around the time of the start of the first world war?

I'm tracing my family tree and it looks as though i had a relative brought up there from around 1913 to 1927 approx, i have no idea where it was although some elderly family members of mine believe it to have been near the bottom near to Middlewood Road.

If anyone has any recollection of said convent i would be very grateful as then i may be able to gather some info on its history. :rolleyes:

Regards.

Hi all,

Regards.

There was also a childrens home/orphanage in Hillsborough at the bottom of Minto Road. It's now P.A.R.K nursery. It was run by the Catholic Church.

from : http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=70779

------------------------------------------------------------------

Probably this place :

Osborne House Community Nursery and Playcare Centre

5 Minto Road

Sheffield

South Yorkshire

S6 4GJ

Telephone number: 0114 2491145

It's been around a while ... William Swift, Manager, Osborne House, Minto Road, Hillsborough White's 1911

worth looking into or a phone call maybe.

Link to O/S map #241

I believe (as has already been said) that the convent was also a Childrens home (not an orthanage as such).

When the nuns moved out of the convent they had smaller premises somewhere near the top or Dykes Hall Rd.

Hi all,

Regards.

The convent/childrens home grounds could also be reached from Dykes Hall Road via Croft's builders yard. In the garden was a very prolific apple tree. My cousin lived over the road and late one evening we were carrying out a nature-study up in the branches of this tree.

Suddenly my cousin touched my arm and pointed down. Grouped around the base of the tree was a sea of nuns looking up at us.

After a while we slowly climbed down and deposited the apples which had fallen into our pockets on the ground.

The circle of nuns parted slightly and we made a high speed escape.

During the entire episode not a word was spoken. It proved to be a very effective way of dealing with us because we never went near again.

Many years later the lady who became my wife worked there part-time after tea, bathing the children and giving them their supper. She thought it seemed a happy place, this would be around 1970.

The convent/childrens home grounds could also be reached from Dykes Hall Road via Croft's builders yard. In the garden was a very prolific apple tree. My cousin lived over the road and late one evening we were carrying out a nature-study up in the branches of this tree.

Suddenly my cousin touched my arm and pointed down. Grouped around the base of the tree was a sea of nuns looking up at us.

After a while we slowly climbed down and deposited the apples which had fallen into our pockets on the ground.

The circle of nuns parted slightly and we made a high speed escape.

During the entire episode not a word was spoken. It proved to be a very effective way of dealing with us because we never went near again.

Many years later the lady who became my wife worked there part-time after tea, bathing the children and giving them their supper. She thought it seemed a happy place, this would be around 1970.

I lived at 53 Dykes Hall Road in 1970, across the road from Croft's Yard and just the third house up from Avondale; I didn't see you Hilldweller ... or did I ?

In my book on Catholic Convents in Sheffield ;-) it states that the house in Minto Road was puchased for the The Sisters of the Poor Child Jesus and the foundation day of the conventwas 12 August 1944 with five sisters at the first Mass in the convent chapel. Two sisters became teachers in the Parish School. A property adjacent to the convent was aquired in 1947 and the work was extended to care for needy children. In 1953 another property was aquired in Dykes Hall Road and in 1978 Southbourne, the former home of Dr Birks was added to the group.

This is all a lot later then you were talking about isn't it?

there was another Carmelite convent at Kirkedge - founded in 1911 - could that possibly be the one?

Hi all,

Regards.

Hi,

I was brought up in Hillsborough between 1965 & 1980 and remember "nuns" around Minto Road and believe the house they occupied was roughly 25yds uo from Middlewood Road and backed on to the childrens home which was on Dykes Hall Road. Whether they ran the home or not i`m not quite sure. There was a big Convent at Bradfield plus Sacred Heart School on Forbes Road. My fathers family were Catholic, living off Parkside Road and buried in Catholic Cemetery in Riverlin. Hope this will help you,

Julie

I lived at 53 Dykes Hall Road in 1970, across the road from Croft's Yard and just the third house up from Avondale; I didn't see you Hilldweller ... or did I ?

By 1970 my tree-climbing days were well over. My "Escape From The Scary Nuns" happened when I was about 11 years old, probably around 1958. My cousin lived a few doors below Avondale Road.