I'm new around here.

Guest Waddell

Hello,

My first posting.

I stumbled across this site whilst looking for some information on the Zeppelin raids on Sheffield during the Great War. I've a strong interest in the First World War and after noticing a distant relative listed on the A-Z of photos of the fallen of the Great War thread I thought it would be polite to introduce myself first.

I have Great Grandparents and a Grandmother who were all Sheffield born but immigrated to Australia I believe around the early 1930s. I know very little about them apart from some of my G/Grandfathers army career and a family tree of sorts I've cobbled together from Ancestry . My wife also has some distant Sheffield relatives.

So as I know next to nothing about Sheffield I plan on reading a lot of posts and seeing how things work for a while before I ask some questions. Hopefully I'll be able to contribute sometime down the line.

My family were Higginsons and Brumptons and I believe Brumpton was a name peculiar to the Sheffield area ( please correct me if that is wrong). They are my main area of research.

Enough about me.

Scott

Hello,

My first posting.

Hi Scott, I live in Tassie, ex Sydney (too hot), ex Sheffield. Got a mate in Padstow from Sheffield too. The Sheffield History site is fabulous but you'll get hooked. I hope you've got an understanding wife. I've been thinking of suggesting a SHEFFIELD HISTORY REHAB site. Anyhow, keep reading and start posting. Phil

Hello and Welcome to the Site.

If you need help with anything please just ask, plenty of Folks willing to lend a hand.

I'm not particularly new here or anywhere esle for that matter, but I do remember being new on here.

My family were Higginsons and Brumptons and I believe Brumpton was a name peculiar to the Sheffield area ( please correct me if that is wrong). They are my main area of research.

After just a quick squint, I'm not finding much in the way of either surname

Five entries for Higginson

Samuel Higginson Cutler Burgess Street Gales & Martin 1787

Arthur Higginson Inspector 781 Attercliffe Road Kelly's 1925

Mrs Elizabeth Higginson 36 Netherthorpe Street Kelly's 1925

John Thomas Higginson Process server 82 Bell House Road, Shire Green White's 1919 and Kelly's 1925

and six Brumptons

Charles Brumpton 31 Wellgate Mount, Rotherham Kelly's 1893

Charles Brumpton Master of Wesleyan School Talbot Lane, Rotherham Kelly's 1893 (very possible the same man as above)

John Brumpton Bricklayer Kimberworth Road, Masbrough Kelly's 1893

Walter Brumpton Shopkeeper 22 Bressingham Road White's 1911

Mrs Ann Brumpton Householder 1 Stovin Terrace, Attercliffe White's 1919

Walter Brumpton Railway guard 66 Wynyard Road, Hillsborough Kelly's 1925

http://www.sheffieldrecordsonline.org.uk/

It would be useful to have some idea of the range of dates you are looking at. Good Luck with the hunt, hopefully more Higginsons and Brumptons will be discovered.

Thanks for the welcome Phil & Richard.

Phil- the wife has already lost me to the Great War Forum so I don't think she'll notice this one. It's therapy from the kids anyway.

Richard- Thanks for having a quick look. I'll post a more informative request in a few weeks. Just looking at those you have listed there is no match.

My Great Grandfather was Samuel Higginson, born in 1884. My Great Grandmother was Harriet Brumpton, born in 1887. They were married on 7 August 1911 at the parish Church in the county of Brightside. They had a son Arthur, born on 29 April1922, and my Grandmother Dorothy. I don't have her birth date to hand.

I won't go further than that as yet as it is a bit messy. I'll have a look at that records link.

Regards,

Scott

My Great Grandmother was Harriet Brumpton, born in 1887.

1901 11 Limpsfield Road (never heard of it), daughter of Cornelius and Ann ...

1901 11 Limpsfield Road (never heard of it), daughter of Cornelius and Ann ...

Here it is on Picture Sheffield

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.refno=c01753

Thank you, not much the wiser, give me a modern map of Sheffield I'm not sure I could even find Wincobank ! he he

Are there any maps available on here Richard? Find Meadowhall - head up toward Wincobank Hill - a bit to the lft after Railway LineB)

Guest Waddell

Thanks Richard and Dunsbyowl for that link to what the street look likes now. I hadn't looked on the forum for a while so it was good to see.

Brightside doesn't look that bright compared to Sydney!

The link to the Brightside thread shows the Vickers Maxim factory- was that the only munitions factory in the Brightside area?

My G/Grandparents were living at 2 Pit Farm when they were married in 1911. Any ideas where that was?

I can't see it on the small map in the Brightside thread.

Regards,

Scott