1960/61 Adverts

RichardB

Walshs

Usually 49/6 for a kettle; now only 25/-

Seems a bit pricey for June 1961 but how would I know, I haven't been born yet ...

'Monday only' Bargains in Sheffield and around The Moor

What's with Monday ? Isn't that rather like saying, don't bother coming to the shops the rest of the week ?

June 1961

Why were passports essential for a trip to Wolverhampton in those days? lol

I think the passports are for the trip to Belgium (Ostend and Brussells)

However, having been to Belgium recently, where just about everyone seems to speak perfect English once they realise that you are "Engels" (English), and having been to Wolverhampton where their own version of the English language is so highly accented that it almost needs sub titles to follow it, I wonder. lol

I think the passports are for the trip to Belgium (Ostend and Brussells)

However, having been to Belgium recently, where just about everyone seems to speak perfect English once they realise that you are "Engels" (English), and having been to Wolverhampton where their own version of the English language is so highly accented that it almost needs sub titles to follow it, I wonder. lol

I have this theory which I would love to put to the test but my wife won't let me.

If you leave home WITHOUT YOUR PASSPORT and go down to Dover I am convinced (having seen it and been through it) that you could walk on to a ferry with just your ticket and get off at Calais no problem without anyone official, English or French, ever asking to see a passport or proof of identity. It really is that easy to leave the country.

Once in France you would be free to wander around most of Europe at your leisure as EU regulations have made border checks a thing of the past.

HOWEVER, (this is why my wife won't let me try it) once you try to return to Britain you have absolutely no chance of getting back at all without a passport.

They will stop you in Calais at least once, at customs / passport control to check your documents, check your luggage and you may get stopped again before boarding the ferry. ONce disembarking in Dover you will probably get stopped agiain to check your passport to prove you are not an illegal immigrant trying to get in (you know, a foreigner with perfect English in a strong Sheffield accent!!) and if you are unlucky searched by customs just to check what contraband items you are bringing into the country.

Easy to leave, hard to get back

Doesn't that mean our National security is good, but the rest of Europe isn't?

I have this theory which I would love to put to the test but my wife won't let me.

If you leave home WITHOUT YOUR PASSPORT and go down to Dover I am convinced (having seen it and been through it) that you could walk on to a ferry with just your ticket and get off at Calais no problem without anyone official, English or French, ever asking to see a passport or proof of identity. It really is that easy to leave the country.

Once in France you would be free to wander around most of Europe at your leisure as EU regulations have made border checks a thing of the past.

HOWEVER, (this is why my wife won't let me try it) once you try to return to Britain you have absolutely no chance of getting back at all without a passport.

They will stop you in Calais at least once, at customs / passport control to check your documents, check your luggage and you may get stopped again before boarding the ferry. ONce disembarking in Dover you will probably get stopped agiain to check your passport to prove you are not an illegal immigrant trying to get in (you know, a foreigner with perfect English in a strong Sheffield accent!!) and if you are unlucky searched by customs just to check what contraband items you are bringing into the country.

Easy to leave, hard to get back

Doesn't that mean our National security is good, but the rest of Europe isn't?

I thought she would have gone for that, as long as she stopped at home, and waited for the telephone call saying you can't get home. lol

I thought she would have gone for that, as long as she stopped at home, and waited for the telephone call saying you can't get home. lol

Bonjour mon épouse, ceci est votre mari vous appelle de France. J'ai laissé mon passeport à la maison et je lui suis coincé dans ce beau pays avec toutes ces gentilles personnes françaises. Est-ce que dérangerait d'apporter mon passeport avalez-cela vous à Douvres de sorte que je puisse venir à la maison ?

Bonjour mon épouse, ceci est votre mari vous appelle de France. J'ai laissé mon passeport à la maison et je lui suis coincé dans ce beau pays avec toutes ces gentilles personnes françaises. Est-ce que dérangerait d'apporter mon passeport avalez-cela vous à Douvres de sorte que je puisse venir à la maison ?

Yahoo, Babel fish translates that as

Hello my wife, this is your husband calls you France. J' left my passport to the house and I am wedged to him in this beautiful country with all these nice French people. Would disturb d' to bring my passport swallow-that you to Dover so that I can come to the house?

Yahoo, Babel fish translates that as

Hello my wife, this is your husband calls you France. J' left my passport to the house and I am wedged to him in this beautiful country with all these nice French people. Would disturb d' to bring my passport swallow-that you to Dover so that I can come to the house?

Multitranse doesn't, it is :-

Hello my wife this is your husband calling you from France. I left my passport at home and I am stuck here in this beautiful country with all these nice French people. would you mind bringing my passport to Dover so that I can home?

Clearly language translation software has a long way to go yet. <_<

Perhaps we should have relied less on technology and listened more to Man Chapman lol

On 22/09/2009 at 11:08, RichardB said:

Frank B Roper's Saturday Night Chat

This appears to be gibberish on the left and a list of motor-bykes on the right hand side.

post-124-1253614128_thumb.jpg

Frank B. Roper., motorcycle dealers. 

Possibly a group photograph of employees about 1919

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;v04501&pos=5&action=zoom&id=109377

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s38532&pos=1&action=zoom&id=115702

On 22/09/2009 at 11:37, RichardB said:

Phillips, Moor

Hopefully we will be able to find some PictureSheffield photo-links for some of these ...

post-124-1253615828_thumb.jpg

Phillips Furnishing Stores, house furnishers, Nos. 37-41 The Moor

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s18011&pos=4&action=zoom&id=20600

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s01249&pos=3&action=zoom&id=5068

On 22/09/2009 at 11:41, RichardB said:

Lesters

Two-tone Double knit Jersey suits.

Come on, someone must have one of these kicking about somewhere; probably looked great with a Harringtons shirt and a kipper tie lol

I'm sure I should know but ... go on ... What's a two tone suit then ?

post-124-1253616040_thumb.jpg

Sorry it's not a Two Tone Suit. 

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s44563&pos=1&action=zoom&id=128868

Might find a Two Tone Suit here though. 

https://modfashiongs.com/categories/mens/mod-clothing/mod-suits.html

Not sure if its a "two tone double knit Jersey Suit" but its a two tone. 

90ef9b950fe445ec23124ae3b074324c.jpg.f310d91725dbf90876844c661b076ce9.jpg

On 22/09/2009 at 11:34, RichardB said:

Redgates Boxing Trainer

post-124-1253615665_thumb.jpg

Freddie Mills Junior Boxing Trainer Punch Bag on a Wooden Stand. The canvas punch bag was inflated by a rubber "balloon" 

vintage-freddie-mills-junior-trainer_360_386d65cbbd1251a29b79ed41e8b41f7d.jpg.f6eef13f2e214e2f64f936e181a09ffc.jpg