Some Old Cinema Sites Now

Guest jay_wickerman

Hi Jay, welcome to Sheffield History

A nice set of pictures here.

Could you tell us where they all are? Although some are obvious as they are well known cinemas some of them are a bit more obscure.

I am sure that this thread will grow rapidly as other members with cameras (or Google SV) go searching for old cinema sites to include.

Don't know how you inserted those pictures but as you scroll past the last one the perspective seems to change! wierd :unsure: and quite spooky :o

Guest jay_wickerman

the one on pond street is the old cannon cinema, and the bottom two are the taken from cole brothers roof and side entrance, ive got loads of others will sort them out in the next couple of days.

Don't know how you inserted those pictures but as you scroll past the last one the perspective seems to change! wierd :unsure: and quite spooky :o

DITTO Dave :o

The former Lansdowne Cinema today as a Supermarket and flats built behind.

Initially saddened to see the Sainsbury's sign but at least it's still standing, an interesting building. Thanks for the photo, as one of those that doesn't get to visit Sheffield often it's great to see.

Here are a few. Not sure of the names of a couple.

Someone will fill in the blanks I'm sure.

This is where The Rex - Intake, used to be.

The Carlton - Eastern Avenue.

Later owned by a light bulb company. (Omega ?)

Now a retirement complex I think.

Crookes Picture Palace

Was this The Essaldo?

Top of Herries Road.

The Ritz - Wordsworth Avenue / Southey Green Road.

I'm amazed that this has survived for so long.

Heeley Picture Palace, Gleadless Road

Later became Potters Snooker Club before becoming the site of these houses.

All Google Streetview images.

Here are a few. Not sure of the names of a couple.

Someone will fill in the blanks I'm sure.

The Carlton - Eastern Avenue.

Later owned by a light bulb company. (Omega ?)

Now a retirement complex I think.

If you turn the camera around on this Google image you can see my mums house on Eastern Avenue.

It sure was the Carlton vox, closed in 1959, became the Omega lampworks in the 1960's to be reduced to their warehouse by the 1980's and then became Beacon lampworks before becoming derelict and being demolished in 1999 to make way for those flats which are wardened homes for the elderly.

As I used to live on Eastern Avenue right opposite the Carlton there is a lot more about its history here

Carlton Cinema, Arbourthorne

If you turn the camera around on this Google image you can see my mums house on Eastern Avenue.

It sure was the Carlton vox, closed in 1959, became the Omega lampworks in the 1960's to be reduced to their warehouse by the 1980's and then became Beacon lampworks before becoming derelict and being demolished in 1999 to make way for those flats which are wardened homes for the elderly.

As I used to live on Eastern Avenue right opposite the Carlton there is a lot more about its history here

Thank you Dave - all the information and photos are excellent. Having lived on the Arbourthorne also many moons ago, the history of the Carlton was very interesting. Keep up the good work!

What a vile building that is.

Isn't it just

But it used to look like this.

Crookes Picture Palace - April 1960

Photograph taken from J.P. Turley's "Sheffield's Yesterdays - Places, People and Pubs" (1993)

Thank you Dave - all the information and photos are excellent. Having lived on the Arbourthorne also many moons ago, the history of the Carlton was very interesting. Keep up the good work!

Thanks suzy, I try my best

I think you mentioned once before somewhere else (Norfolk Park Estate / Norfolk school / Jervis Lum threads) that you lived very close to the old Carlton cinema in the days when it was a lampworks and as I lived so close to it as well it is highly likely that our paths have crossed somewhere in the past.

Just got finished reading through the post Dave. - Thanks.

Interesting to see the step by step improvements with "the negatives" :)

Nice to find the one on Picture Sheffield, but at the same time slightly disappointing to know that yours are not now the only ones in existence.

Just got finished reading through the post Dave. - Thanks.

Interesting to see the step by step improvements with "the negatives" :)

Nice to find the one on Picture Sheffield, but at the same time slightly disappointing to know that yours are not now the only ones in existence.

Still, I got there first as my picture is 1971 and picturesheffield is 1980's, and I have actually posted 2 different pictures of the Carlton, so at present I own 67% of all known pictures of this building

Further to this, -

1)

I am sure that somewhere in mums collection there is a colour (not a colourised) picture of the Carlton which will, if we ever find it, will reveal the Carlton in its natural colours.

2)

No one, not even me (and I suprise myself sometimes but due to my age I know I am on a loser with this one) has yet produced a picture of the Carlton when it actually was a cinema (pre 1959, - I was only 4 at the time :( and didn't have a camera). OK we have 3 pictures of a lampworks, but a picture of the actual cinema, open as a cinema would be much better.