Missing a Bus Driver?

THYLACINE

I spent an hour or so looking through all your old posts tonight, and really enjoyed reading about Sheffields' transport history but I couldn't find a topic about the drivers and conductors, the men and women who make them go, maybe I just didn't look hard enough. Anyway here's my story about the missing bus driver. Some people reckon Tasmania - the place I live - is the end of the earth, the last stop before the antarctic. But it's not. Just off the south east tip of Tasmania is another island - Bruny Island. The only way in is by ferry boat, it's sparsely inhabited and the only industry is tourism. We went there to check it out. We were in the tiny one-roomed museum and the attendant said to me "Have you come to see Eric?" I said who's Eric. She said "Well he talks just like you, are you from Sheffield?" Anyway, to cut a long story short, she rang Eric and asked if we could come and visit him which we did, and spent a delightful afternoon in his company. He told us he used to drive a Sheffield Corporation bus. After he retired, his wife said she wanted to emigrate to Australia, Eric just wanted to stay home with his mates, his pub and his pint. But they came anyway. After about 2 years his wife died and Eric moved to Bruny Island. You could scarcely get further away from Sheffield if you tried. So he lives alone, in the most remote part of the empire, but he's happy and we were very pleased to have met him. Does anyone remember Eric Copeland?

Guest sammyopisite

I seem to remember the name but I seem to recall it as an Inspector or someone in head office at Division Street in the 1960s

I seem to remember the name but I seem to recall it as an Inspector or someone in head office at Division Street in the 1960s

The name rings a distant bell with me, And i agree that he could have been an inspector possibly at East Bank Road Garage.

Maybe the early 1970s.

Are you thinking about Mr Copestake ?

Guest sammyopisite

Hi Waterside Echo I think you may be right as I always used to receive regular invitations up to Division street to see either Miss Moncur,Mr.Knott or Mr Copestake and when not seeing them I got to know Johnny Hobbis very well in the square and Jimmy Egan at the top of Angel Street he he