Is there anybody out there?

DaveH

Another one to me, although I must admit half past eight on a Sunday morning is a fairly easy target.

Interestingly the site statistics record that the record number of people on line at one time is

444 on the 12 July 2007 at around 7 o'clock in the morning!!! :o

Never noticed more than a hundred or so (including guests) ever, usually in double figures (less than 100) only.

I wasn't on at that time on that day and given that we now have many more members than we had in those early days in 2007 it's never been beaten.

Was it a "special event / contest", advertised in advance to get as many people as possible online ;-)

Had someone posted pictures of naked ladies or something like that to draw in the crowds :o

Or are these statistics incorrect :unsure:

After all, there are lies, damn lies and statistics

Interestingly the site statistics record that the record number of people on line at one time is

444 on the 12 July 2007 at around 7 o'clock in the morning!!! :o

Never noticed more than a hundred or so (including guests) ever, usually in double figures (less than 100) only.

I wasn't on at that time on that day and given that we now have many more members than we had in those early days in 2007 it's never been beaten.

Was it a "special event / contest", advertised in advance to get as many people as possible online ;-)

Had someone posted pictures of naked ladies or something like that to draw in the crowds :o

Or are these statistics incorrect :unsure:

After all, there are lies, damn lies and statistics

Internet search bots like 'Google RSS Bot ' 'Yahoo.com' 'Google Adsense'

all recording data for the search engines

Internet search bots like 'Google RSS Bot ' 'Yahoo.com' 'Google Adsense'

all recording data for the search engines

What, - 444 search bots :o

That's big brother gone mad.

If we didn't have them,

we wouldn't get things like this comming up in a search.

Go on Steve, make me feel insecure :huh: , just like big brother Google is watching my every key press :unsure:

Think I've said before if I search Google for stuff on "Norfolk School" or "Arbourthorne" the top of the list are usually my own posts on Sheffield History, so seriously it does work and it does do a good job because anyone searching for these criteria would quickly find Sheffield History as the best source of the information they want.

But 444 does seem a lot.

This is what I like to see,

twenty two members on-line today at - 1633 Hrs

:)

Unfortunately Friday is currently a bad day for me to get on, I could have made it 23 :(

22 is good, but considering that we have currently 6020 members that means that only 0.36%, less than 1% of our membership were on line.

As I think the 444 is a bit suspect perhaps we could have some sort of event, advertised in advance, to get as many members as possible online at the same time.

It would "look good" as Steve puts it and would test our members response to things happening on the site.

How many do you think we get online? 22? 100? 200? 444? 6020?

Unfortunately Friday is currently a bad day for me to get on, I could have made it 23 :(

22 is good, but considering that we have currently 6020 members that means that only 0.36%, less than 1% of our membership were on line.

As I think the 444 is a bit suspect perhaps we could have some sort of event, advertised in advance, to get as many members as possible online at the same time.

It would "look good" as Steve puts it and would test our members response to things happening on the site.

How many do you think we get online? 22? 100? 200? 444? 6020?

18:30 Friday and Steve's by himself :(:( Its a bit quiet

I don't quite get what's happening here.

I just took this screen capture as you can see - 6:29pm

Then by the time I looked again it was like this - 6:32pm.

:huh:

Just looked again and there's nobody there.

Can't be right what am I not understanding?

Has to be a problem at your end vox,

nothing like that happenig here.

Infact I have never come across that problem before

I don't quite get what's happening here.

I just took this screen capture as you can see - 6:29pm

Then by the time I looked again it was like this - 6:32pm.

:huh:

I dipped out for two minutes (maybe less); I was here but rebooted. I'm here now ... or am I ? Spooky.

Just looked again and there's nobody there.

Can't be right what am I not understanding?

Yoo-hoo, I'm still here, just replied to your previous post. Don't understand either, which is nice :blink: Somebody call for Sherlock !

Has to be a problem at your end vox,

nothing like that happenig here.

Infact I have never come across that problem before

Apart from a reboot (no a problem, just a matter of habit) I've been here since mid-afternoon - not posting a lot (job circumstances) but ppressing enough keys to qualify as here.

Apart from a reboot (no a problem, just a matter of habit) I've been here since mid-afternoon - not posting a lot (job circumstances) but ppressing enough keys to qualify as here.

Vox's problem isn't that the number of members online is changing dramayically from one minute to the next (something I have previously noticed can happen, like when everyone sudden logs off if something good has just started on the telly).

Vox's problem seems to be that the board statistics are not displaying at all and I think that this is more likely to be a SH problem than anything at vox's end.

We did have something like this once before when the picture uploader didn't appear in certain threads for some people (ie ME) and I can't remember if that did eventually get resolved.

Got to admit there is a lot of wierd stuff going on at present.

ukelele lady not being able to see latest posts

RichardB having a missing post #40 which HE had posted himself

Me seeing all RichardB's posts with MY avitar

Me having slow upload times and repeated posts being inserted

Some funny messages about flood control

and now vox can't see the board statistics

Wonder what is going on?

So here we go again.

A brand new site to explore and find our way around and we don't have anyone logged on at all.

So here we go again.

A brand new site to explore and find our way around and we don't have anyone logged on at all.

On a regular basis we seem to have more guests than Members viewing, Are we not encouraging

enough new Members and if not has any one any ideas how to increase the Membership numbers??.

On a regular basis we seem to have more guests than Members viewing, Are we not encouraging

enough new Members and if not has any one any ideas how to increase the Membership numbers??.

Guests are free to look around and are under no obligation to join as members.

It depends what they are looking at and what they are looking for,

If pictures are involved and they want to see the pictures then they need to join.

So my bit of encouragement to guests is to take lots of pictures and make my posts as visual as possible.

That way having read the description of the picture they have to join if they want to see it.

I don't embed pictures and I don't put them in the public gallery (which admin says won't be public on the new site anyway) so only members can see them.

Over quite a time I've tried to encourage people here via content, I'm still on an average of ten+ posts a day over 3 years, but ... no job, no income currently and that takes some effort elsewhere to try to put right.

I was just trying to think what made me decide to join and it was the fact that I wanted to post a reply and could not do that without joining. Later I posted a picture that I wanted help with and have found this site so informative on lots of things. So I think that if guests see something of interest to them they will join eventually. Come on guests you do not know what you are missing :)

I was just trying to think what made me decide to join and it was the fact that I wanted to post a reply and could not do that without joining. Later I posted a picture that I wanted help with and have found this site so informative on lots of things. So I think that if guests see something of interest to them they will join eventually. Come on guests you do not know what you are missing :)

Joining to respond to a post is a brilliant reason for joining Sheffield History ;-)

But the sad truth is that most of our members have never made a single post :(

Perhaps they don't know what they are missing :unsure:

So here's my new little game.

If you are on SH at a time when you expect it to be busy and it isn't (No! not 3 o'clock in the morning, - we all need some sleep) and you are the only member logged on then.

Log off

Refresh the home page so that it says "x guests, 0 members" (because you've just logged out!)

Do a screen capture of the page and post it here.

Be sure to include the date and time at the bottom to confirm it.

OK, its a new site and the time confirmation clock is in the wrong place to capture it, but be assured it is 1:32 pm Friday 9 April 2010.

Friday dinnertime and there's not a single member logged on (OK so one of those guests is me)

There are a few that try Dave as you know; despite circumstisisms, or circumstances whichever you prefer :blink: