Is there anybody out there?

DaveH

I must admit that even when I am not "logged in" as DaveH I am still sometimes on the site "lurking" as a guest.

There are various reasons for doing this.

I may be using someone elses or works computer and don't want to leave my username and password on it or in a spare minute or two I may just want to catch up reading the latest posts so that I can respond to any I want to, having thought about my reply, at a later time.

I was surprised then, as it was a weekend when people usually get a day off work so have more time to go on Sheffield History, that there was not a single member on the site at all :o 15 guests maybe, but not one member.

No RichardB, SteveHB, Stuart0742, Dunsbyowl, vox, gramps, Bayleaf, Tsavo, ADMIN, transit, plaintalker, mickjj, ukelele lady, deansgirl, mikesl142 or any other of the usual big hitting heavy posters. Not even ME as I was lurking as a guest.

Not one of us, here's the proof. One of those 15 guests was me.

So here's my new little game.

If you are on SH at a time when you expect it to be busy and it isn't (No! not 3 o'clock in the morning, - we all need some sleep) and you are the only member logged on then.

Log off

Refresh the home page so that it says "x guests, 0 members" (because you've just logged out!)

Do a screen capture of the page and post it here.

Be sure to include the date and time at the bottom to confirm it.

Log back on, carry on posting but don't expect any quick replies to them until the rest of us get logged on again.

By the way, why is the site clock sometimes right and sometimes an hour slow?

Why does the time change by an hour just by being logged on or not?

Why does this irrational change by one hour affect the time of posting of all the displayed posts?

Over to the moderators on that little quirk of the system (assuming they are logged on of course)

I must admit that even when I am not "logged in" as DaveH I am still sometimes on the site "lurking" as a guest.

There are various reasons for doing this.

I may be using someone elses or works computer and don't want to leave my username and password on it or in a spare minute or two I may just want to catch up reading the latest posts so that I can respond to any I want to, having thought about my reply, at a later time.

I was surprised then, as it was a weekend when people usually get a day off work so have more time to go on Sheffield History, that there was not a single member on the site at all :o 15 guests maybe, but not one member.

No RichardB, SteveHB, Stuart0742, Dunsbyowl, vox, gramps, Bayleaf, Tsavo, ADMIN, transit, plaintalker, mickjj, ukelele lady, deansgirl, mikesl142 or any other of the usual big hitting heavy posters. Not even ME as I was lurking as a guest.

Not one of us, here's the proof. One of those 15 guests was me.

So here's my new little game.

If you are on SH at a time when you expect it to be busy and it isn't (No! not 3 o'clock in the morning, - we all need some sleep) and you are the only member logged on then.

Log off

Refresh the home page so that it says "x guests, 0 members" (because you've just logged out!)

Do a screen capture of the page and post it here.

Be sure to include the date and time at the bottom to confirm it.

Log back on, carry on posting but don't expect any quick replies to them until the rest of us get logged on again.

Why does this irrational change by one hour affect the time of posting of all the displayed posts?

Over to the moderators on that little quirk of the system (assuming they are logged on of course)

My excuse this afternoon is I had to go to Rotherham :angry: because I could not go to Catcliffe <_< suppose you can work that out Dave lol

Perhaps members have been cutting their grass on this sunny Sunday

My excuse this afternoon is I had to go to Rotherham :angry: because I could not go to Catcliffe <_< suppose you can work that out Dave lol

Perhaps members have been cutting their grass on this sunny Sunday

Understand that perfectly Stuart, in 2 words WIFE and SPECSAVERS ;-)

It was actually this morning when no one was on.

I have since had to go out myself under doctors orders, and I suppose you can work that one out.

Dave you may think that no members were on the forum this morning,

but you could well be wrong,

what about ...

Not come across him yet Steve, perhaps he makes invisible posts as well lol

Invisible posts? <_< Isn't ukelele lady having problems with something like that :huh: perhaps its the invisible poster :unsure:

Hey now we've got an annonymous member.

So now you can be either

GUEST (just looking but where are all the pictures?)

GUEST (member really but just having a quick check)

MEMBER (full use of Sheffield History)

ANNONYMOUS MEMBER (a member really but doesn't want to admit to it)

Who is this imposter? and if you mean me, what do you mean Big and Heavy??? Cheek

Anyway, 3.45pm today I was up a ladder clearing moss from gutters - scary stuff but it's stopped the ear bashing from mrs142sl?

Who is this imposter? and if you mean me, what do you mean Big and Heavy??? Cheek

Anyway, 3.45pm today I was up a ladder clearing moss from gutters - scary stuff but it's stopped the ear bashing from mrs142sl?

Hi Mike. Just to change the subject, what year did the Scouts soapbox derby`s start, and when was the last one. I remember going to Norfolk Park and taking part around 1957/58. Thanks W/E.

Hi Mike. Just to change the subject, what year did the Scouts soapbox derby`s start, and when was the last one. I remember going to Norfolk Park and taking part around 1957/58. Thanks W/E.
Not sure when it started but it continues today in the form of a 'National Scout Car Race' with races around the country. The one's you are thinking of were probably local and organised by local leaders. There might be some records in the Trippet Lane Dungeon but will be hard to find, I'll ask around and see if anyone can remember them.

I was stuck in the traffic chaos caused by the Great North Run - I had to deliver child and cases to Durham for University, plus she had to be down there for Noon for part-time job.

So, Newcastle to Durham and return - 3 1/2 hours :angry:

then stuck in the garden arm-wrestling with snails and loosing.

OK, confession time. I was sitting in the garden in the sunshine with my nose in John Harris's 'Fatherland' that I haven't been able to put down since I started it :o (Finished it now though so I'm back!)

OK, confession time. I was sitting in the garden in the sunshine with my nose in John Harris's 'Fatherland' that I haven't been able to put down since I started it :o (Finished it now though so I'm back!)

That's just been serialised on Radio 7 on BBC i-player (been listening to in in my lun ;-) ch hour!) I recently read Pompeii - very good if you haven't yet!

..................Post #1

Dave

The server runs on GMT, so is you are not logged you see GMT, when you log on you see your local time, this you specified when you registered. So we see BST at the moment and Deansgirl for example will see his local time in Ozland etc.

Sorry about my touch of dislexia there Mike, getting the sl before the 142 rather than after!

By big heavy posters I meant members who regularly turn out multiple postings practically every day (and where would we be without them) producing new material to keep the site interesting and running, not intended as an insult at all.

Having said that I am sure that RichardB would take being called a big heavy poster as a compliment. lol

After all, he is the biggest, heaviest poster on the site ;-)

Topped 11,000 yet Richard?

OK, confession time.

I wasn't criticising people for not being online (although its nice when you are) I was just stating the fact, with appropriate photographic evidence, that no one was.

I didn't expect all the named members (the big heavy posters) to come forward confessing and making excuses as though it was some sort of crime not to be on Sheffield History 24 / 7.

In fact of the ones I named (and there are others) I usually appreciate it when you do post stuff.

Don't know where I'd be without you. (Well I didn't yesterday when I was lol )

Dave

The server runs on GMT, so is you are not logged you see GMT, when you log on you see your local time, this you specified when you registered. So we see BST at the moment and Deansgirl for example will see his local time in Ozland etc.

Interesting, that explains it, thanks Stuart.

Next question to the "mods" then

How do I become an "annonymous member" ?

I always fancied being a SPY

Does it let me do posts without anyone knowing who it was that posted them ;-)

"Deansgirl for example will see his local time in Ozland etc."

I think that's a bit of Northern Sheffield humour! ;-)

I think its just Stuart explaining it to me in language he knows I will understand, - probably an old Norfolk School thing.

By the way we don't go to "France" for our holidays, - we go to "Oui Oui Land" lol

OK, I don't want people posting a list of excuses this time because it was Saturday dinnertime.

But I think the score is now 2 to me.

..and an hour later, same thing again.

During that hour some members had been online (most notably SteveHB) as well as myself but when I returned to the home page there was just me, so on logging out, - nobody.

There is approximately 1 hour between the 2 images, but I should point out, using information about the site clock provided by Stuart0742, that while logged out the clock reverts to GMT. the local times for these 2 images are 1 hour ahead of the time shown in the image (so about 12:20 and 13:20)

..and an hour later, same thing again.

During that hour some members had been online (most notably SteveHB) as well as myself but when I returned to the home page there was just me, so on logging out, - nobody.

There is approximately 1 hour between the 2 images, but I should point out, using information about the site clock provided by Stuart0742, that while logged out the clock reverts to GMT. the local times for these 2 images are 1 hour ahead of the time shown in the image (so about 12:20 and 13:20)

I've been cleaning the windows lol

It is not an excuse it was an order lol

Then somebody borrowed my VGA cable lol

I've been cleaning the windows lol

It is not an excuse it was an order lol

Then somebody borrowed my VGA cable lol

Sounds like an order from "She who must be obeyed" :o

No, I don't mean Ursula Undress in that film where she turns out to be an extremely old ancient Egyptian! lol

Another one to me, although I must admit half past eight on a Sunday morning is a fairly easy target.

Dave perhaps its you, everybody else logs off when you log on lol

Dave perhaps its you, everybody else logs off when you log on lol

But how do they know WHEN I am just about to log in?

How do they know that I am not "lurking" as a guest or doing something anonymously?

I think perhaps they were all still in bed having a wellearned weekend rest.

I only got up because the wife works Sundays. :(