Rodgers Cutlers Carving knife set

Guest wiredawg5150

Guest wiredawg5150

I found this set at a local second hand store for $11 US. It is not in great shape as you can vaguely see from these pictures(The cell/camera is crappy sorry). I am just looking for more information regarding the set. They were bought to be used as props till I looked closer. Beneath the grime and rust the "Joseph Rodgers & sons cutlers to her majesty" stamp is clearly seen (you have to get them in bright sunlight...but you can see it), also there is the * and the cross. The fork is the only exception, it just has the * and cross and reads US PATENT MAY 26 (or 25) 1885. I tried doing a patent date issue search on the US Patent website; but I had no luck.

I hope that maybe ya’ll could shed some light on them or point me in the right direction. I have read a few of your threads before I decided to post and the one promising site appears to be down. http://youle.info/history/fh_material/Rodgers.html

Thank you for any info.

Guest lazarus

The Carving Fork is interesting for the fact that the Guard is so made with two protuberances so that it will sit flat on the table. The Knife, I used to process all kind of Citlery blades for a living and that particular blade type was called by my works a "Coronation Carver" and as far as I know its still in production.

Guest praymo

For several years I have been trying to obtain information about a cutlery set that has been passed through my family to the eldest son for several generations. It is a complete carving set in a case lined in purple velvet and satin. the case has a stamp which says Joseph Rodgers & sons-cutlers to her majesty, 6 Norfolk street, sheffield. shows a star and a cross of some sort. Each knife also has a crown with the letters v on the left and a b or r on the right. The handles appear to be ivory and the end of each is silver with the silloutte of the queens head and what appears to be a marking like a shield.. I would greatly appreciate any information I can obtain about this set.

Joseph Rodgers & Sons trade mark is a Star and Maltese Cross.

Here's a nice picture.

I've seen a book somewhere, where this picture was taken from. I'll try and find it.

Found this in the meantime

19thC. JOSEPH RODGERS CARVING SET. #7370 #7370

Victorian, Electro Plated Nickel Silver, horn and steel carving set, circa 1880, comprising 2 knives and forks, the knife blades with the crown V.R stamp and "JOSEPH RODGERS & SONS. CUTLERS TO HER MAJESTY", the fork guards stamped "ROGERS PATENT" and star and Maltese Cross marks, the knives 17 inches and 13 inches long, the forks 13 inches and 11 inches long. Contained in the original oak, velvet and silk lined case, the silk stamped "JOSEPH RODGERS & SONS. 6 NORFOLK STREET SHEFFIELD and CUTLERS TO HER MAJESTY". Case 19 inches by 6¼ inches.

£580.00

Source

Also, there are numerous mentions of Joseph Rodgers on here.

Click on the SheffieldHistory Google search tool at the bottom of this post and enter "Joseph Rodgers"

Guest busterdog4u

I have in my possession The Original Josephs Rodgers and Sons ltd 3 piece carving set with case.

G Crown R

Josephs Rodgers and Sons ltd.,

Sheffield cross and *

Sheffield England

Cutlers To His Majesty

This is Engraved into all 3 pieces.

I am trying to find out when this was made?

Whom was it made for?

The History behind this set of elegant knives?

Brilliant piece of work, Thank you. :rolleyes:

My family will have no dealings with Rodgers and Sons after their treatment of our John. ]

<p style="text-align: center;"><strong>John Skinner</strong></p>

Scissor manufacturer, 16 Nursery Walk, Baine's 1822

Manufacturer of Steel Toys, Pigot's 1828-9

Manufacturer of elastic silver steel pens, scissors, steel toys, Whitehouse, Stanley Street, White's 1833

Clasp maker, Stanley Street, Pigot's 1841

Scissor manufacturer, 69 Stanley Street, Pigot's 1841

Steel pen &amp; steel toy manufacturer, White House, 69 Stanley Street, Pigot's 1841

(Map request for Wicker, Nursery Walk/Street and Stanley Street)

(Thanks again Edmund, most interesting)

<p>

My family will have no dealings with Rodgers and Sons after their treatment of our John.
&lt;/p&gt;</p>

Guest mavericklady

I have in my possession The Original Josephs Rodgers and Sons ltd 3 piece carving set with case.

G Crown R

Josephs Rodgers and Sons ltd.,

Sheffield cross and *

Sheffield England

Cutlers To His Majesty

This is Engraved into all 3 pieces.

I am trying to find out when this was made?

Whom was it made for?

The History behind this set of elegant knives?

I also have a set without box marked GcrownR which i took to be the queens father, or grandfather. it is not marked Sheffield but has all the other marks as yours. It says Joseph Rodgers and Sons Cutler to his majesty. I believe they needed to have at least one commision from the King or Queen to have this on their cultery etc. How wonderful you have the original case.

John Skinner

Scissor manufacturer, 16 Nursery Walk, Baine's 1822

Manufacturer of Steel Toys, Pigot's 1828-9

Manufacturer of elastic silver steel pens, scissors, steel toys, Whitehouse, Stanley Street, White's 1833

This picture of John Skinner was painted in 1830 by James Banks and was presented to Sheffield Museum in 1962 by Osbert Skinner (who had a Watchmaker/Jeweller shop at 112 Ecclesall Road from 1911 to 1978).

I can tell you that the Carver fork isn't part of the set as it has a cap on the end of the handle whereas the knife & the steel haven't. The fork is called a French because of the sloping shoulders on its edge.