Sheffield Car Dealerships

Stuart0742

Much has been written on this site about car dealers and garages in general, the last topic I recall is the Deighton Motor Company Topic.

What is needed is a definitive list of who sold what and when and where.

Post your contribution here and I will combine them and produce a full A-Z as we progress

Please provide as much information as you can, I think this is a topic which every member will be able to contribute, as we all have either bought cars or still buy cars.

Some members will have memories further back than others.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Link to latest List... LINK

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Speaking as someone rooted in the early 1900's this is a nightmare, ViCARS, CARters, Caretakers, ApotheCARy, Picture PostCARd, CARriages, CARvers, CARpets, CARriers, CARpenters, CARwood Hotel, CARdboard, Ethel Merman, CARting, Pattern CARd, CARver cases, CARt owners, Wool CARder, ElseCAR, Hideous CARbunkle, MosCAR grinding wheel ...

I may have enhanced one or two there ...

John Edward STABLES Motor car dealer 61 Penrhyn Road White's 1911

Brook SHAW Motor garage & motor car dealer Orchard Place, Orchard Street & 195 Norfolk Street; h. 65 Fraser Road White's 1919

Brook SHAW Motor car dealer 193 &195 Norfolk Street; h. Brook House, Grove Road, Totley Kelly's 1925

Speaking as someone rooted in the early 1900's this is a nightmare, ViCARS, CARters, Caretakers, ApotheCARy, Picture PostCARd, CARriages, CARvers, CARpets, CARriers, CARpenters, CARwood Hotel, CARdboard, Ethel Merman, CARting, Pattern CARd, CARver cases, CARt owners, Wool CARder, ElseCAR, Hideous CARbunkle, MosCAR grinding wheel ...

I may have enhanced one or two there ...

John Edward STABLES Motor car dealer 61 Penrhyn Road White's 1911

Brook SHAW Motor garage & motor car dealer Orchard Place, Orchard Street & 195 Norfolk Street; h. 65 Fraser Road White's 1919

Brook SHAW Motor car dealer 193 &195 Norfolk Street; h. Brook House, Grove Road, Totley Kelly's 1925

Richard mentions Brook Shaw's, I remember Brook Shaws on Gibralter St as a Ford dealer and have vague memories of then at the corner of Norfolk St and Charles St, was the Norfolk St site a Ford dealer as well?

Other place to buy a Ford,

TC Harrisons London Rd, now gone

Autoways Shoreham St, now Sheffield Archives

Could you buy Fords anywhere else?

Gilders (sp) Volkswagen, on Cambridge ST.

Much has been written on this site about car dealers and garages in general, the last topic I recall is the Deighton Motor Company Topic.

What is needed is a definitive list of who sold what and when and where.

Post your contribution here and I will combine them and produce a full A-Z as we progress

Please provide as much information as you can, I think this is a topic which every member will be able to contribute, as we all have either bought cars or still buy cars.

Some members will have memories further back than others.

Was there a Brocklehurst Motors at Meadowhead

There certainly was. Earnest Brocklehurst I believe. It was where the large petrol station is now. I have a hazy image of it in my memory.

I think it went in the late 60's

I've searched on and off for a long time with no luck so I don't think you'll have much luck with a photo or even much information.

"Sits back and waits.

Hopefully, to be proved wrong." :)

There certainly was. Earnest Brocklehurst I believe. It was where the large petrol station is now. I have a hazy image of it in my memory.

I think it went in the late 60's

I've searched on and off for a long time with no luck so I don't think you'll have much luck with a photo or even much information.

"Sits back and waits.

Hopefully, to be proved wrong." :)

Remind me which make did Brocklehursts sell.

They moved down to Whittington Moor at Chesterfield after Meadowhead

Kennings - Peel Street, Broomhill

Rolls Royce.

Up to now, all I can say is that I remember it being there in the 60's

Here's a 1970's photo I found on sheffdave's Flickr stream.

I've just spoken to my youngest brother who, along with my son, were avid collectors of car brochures when they were youngsters.

They've still got some of them. Some with official dealers rubber stamps on, which should help out on here a little.

I'm not sure how many they'll have, maybe a few, maybe dozens.

I remember them playing together and studying the various specs of different models.

I'm guessing that they will all date from around 1980.

I'm awaiting a special delivery this afternoon. :)

Kennings - Peel Street, Broomhill

Rolls Royce.

Up to now, all I can say is that I remember it being there in the 60's

Here's a 1970's photo I found on sheffdave's Flickr stream.

I remember that view well, it was taken from the roof of Broomhill telephone exchange. SheffDave and myself worked for Post Office Telephones/ BT (Dave still works at BT), When Dave moved on from Broomhill in the late 70's I took over his post.

I remember Tony Christie turning up in his Roller regularly for petrol at Kennings.

I remember that view well, it was taken from the roof of Broomhill telephone exchange. SheffDave and myself worked for Post Office Telephones/ BT (Dave still works at BT),

So did you know Pete/Peter Cowlishaw?

I remember Tony Christie turning up in his Roller regularly for petrol at Kennings.

What a waste of petrol! :o

He'll never find his WAY TO AMARILLO by driving around the AVENUES AND ALLEYWAYS of Sheffield he he he he he he

(sorry :( )

So did you know Pete/Peter Cowlishaw?

Not sure, what did he do where did he work

The combination of lots of staff and poor memory don't help :mellow:

Richard mentions Brook Shaw's, I remember Brook Shaws on Gibralter St as a Ford dealer and have vague memories of then at the corner of Norfolk St and Charles St, was the Norfolk St site a Ford dealer as well?

Other place to buy a Ford,

TC Harrisons London Rd, now gone

Autoways Shoreham St, now Sheffield Archives

Could you buy Fords anywhere else?

Hi Stuart

Alistair Lofthouse's book about the Sheffield Blitz has a picture of a gutted Brook Shaw's on the corner of Charles Street and Union Street, and it appears to have the remains of a Ford sign on the wall.

There was Fred Wilsons on Leppings lane,in the mid 70's later moved to the new estate below the 5 Arches. They were Hillman dealers.

I'm not sure if they were also on the Reg Vardy now Evans Halshaw site on Ecclesall Rd, it certainly was a Hillman dealer there at the beginning of the 70's.

Both the latter are/were Renault Dealership at Ecclesall Rd and Citroen at Penistone Rd.

Sat here thinking, tapping my head like Winnie the Pooh, Think....Think....

Turret Motors - Eccleshall Road - Vauxhall

Pickfords - Eccleshall Road - Rootes Group / Chrysler

Charles Clark - Vauxhall (original owners escapes me at the moment!)

Weir Head Motors - Austin Rover

Beighton Motor Company - Beighton - Austin Rover

Not sure, what did he do where did he work

The combination of lots of staff and poor memory don't help :mellow:

Exactly where, I don't know.

I know he started as a telegram boy then became a linesman I think.

He was there a long time, probably 'till the 80's and was a bit of a character.

Forget it Stuart. It's a bit like going on holiday and meeting the American who says. "Oh you live in Yorkshire, my uncle lives there, you probably know him. He's called so and so." :o

Beighton Motor Company, I had forgot about them, sat for hours outside the pub opposite as a kid, now what was the name of the pub

I have had a couple of Vauxhalls and so I know Turret Motors and Charles Clarks quite well, used to use Turret regularly.

They appear to be the same company as they later both traded under the name Hartwell or Charles Clark Hartwell

Recently the name has changed again to Pentagon and they now use new premises on the trading estate near Macro, I think, instead of the old Charles Clark place on Saville Street. They still have the old Turret building on Ecclesall Road.

Likw most motor trade businesses, every time the name changes the prices seem to go up, but they have always been Vauxhall dealers.

Both the latter are/were Renault Dealership at Ecclesall Rd and Citroen at Penistone Rd.

OK, Renault and Citroen.

Keeping with the French theme Peugeot were sold by City motors on Ecclesall road which has in the last few years become Robins & Day

They still sell Peugeot. I think Stuart owns a "fleet" of their cars.

Very slow at getting the work done, so slow I think they must have all the spare parts brought individually from France by a Frenchman on a rickety old bicycle as and when they need them. this service put my wife off replacing her old Peugeot, a car she really liked, with another Peugeot. She switched to a Ford instead.

OK, Renault and Citroen.

Keeping with the French theme Peugeot were sold by City motors on Ecclesall road which has in the last few years become Robins & Day

They still sell Peugeot. I think Stuart owns a "fleet" of their cars.

Very slow at getting the work done, so slow I think they must have all the spare parts brought individually from France by a Frenchman on a rickety old bicycle as and when they need them. this service put my wife off replacing her old Peugeot, a car she really liked, with another Peugeot. She switched to a Ford instead.

Behind Turret motors, above the rear entrance on Pomona Street and with entrances on Summerfield Road was Wadham Kennings who sold Rover cars. This is no longer there and the current site seems to be a companys selling Mitsubishi cars.

Further up on the same site is Gordon Lamb selling Volkswagen / Audi cars

I have had a couple of Vauxhalls and so I know Turret Motors and Charles Clarks quite well, used to use Turret regularly.

They appear to be the same company as they later both traded under the name Hartwell or Charles Clark Hartwell

Recently the name has changed again to Pentagon and they now use new premises on the trading estate near Macro, I think, instead of the old Charles Clark place on Saville Street. They still have the old Turret building on Ecclesall Road.

Likw most motor trade businesses, every time the name changes the prices seem to go up, but they have always been Vauxhall dealers.

Turret Motors were just off glossop road in 70/80s just round the corner from hendersons relish factory used to be an opel dealership moved to ecclesall road about 81/ 82. I think the saville street site used to be bentley bros who moved from one side of the road to other in the late 70s

Turret Motors were just off glossop road in 70/80s just round the corner from hendersons relish factory used to be an opel dealership moved to ecclesall road about 81/ 82. I think the saville street site used to be bentley bros who moved from one side of the road to other in the late 70s

Behind Turret motors, above the rear entrance on Pomona Street and with entrances on Summerfield Road was Wadham Kennings who sold Rover cars. This is no longer there and the current site seems to be a companys selling Mitsubishi cars.

Further up on the same site is Gordon Lamb selling Volkswagen / Audi cars

D C Cook had a site on there about 87 just behind Turret Motors ,it was just a tyre and exhaust center