Sheffield Car Dealerships

Stuart0742

The actual car company was not started in 1878. The family started out as hawkers in Clay Cross - I'm descended from the poor branch of the family.

Sir George Kenning 1880 - 1956

Lyn

Good information on George Kenning Lyn.

So when "Established 1878" was quoted in the cutting Dunsby posted, that is when the Kenning's "empire" was stared not the actual car company.

Next question then is, when did Kennings open their 1st premises in Sheffield and where

Good information on George Kenning Lyn.

So when "Established 1878" was quoted in the cutting Dunsby posted, that is when the Kenning's "empire" was stared not the actual car company.

Next question then is, when did Kennings open their 1st premises in Sheffield and where

Will dig around and try and find out. In 1901 census in Clay Cross his father Frank is still a general dealer and George and his brother Frank are down as Hawkers. Strangely enough my Kenning family were on Leadmill Rd for the 1871 census. The furthest I have gone back on the Kenning line is into Melbourne and Kings Norton in Derbyshire in the 1700s and it is quite surprising how many were hawkers and potters etc.

http://www.gkgroup.co.uk/about-us/gk-history.aspx

http://www.derbyshireuk.net/greatlongstone_hall.html

Lyn

Woodseats Motors at the bottom of Cobnar road,my Dad was manager for many years and they used to sell Renaults and later on Mazdas.They also had a workshop at the bottom of Scarsdale rd that is now a fireplace shop,and also a plot where KFC is now

Woodseats Motors at the bottom of Cobnar road,my Dad was manager for many years and they used to sell Renaults and later on Mazdas.They also had a workshop at the bottom of Scarsdale rd that is now a fireplace shop,and also a plot where KFC is now

Hello f4andang0

Thanks for the contribution. Can you put a date on the photos ?

Hope to see some more posts from you in the future.

Here is a PictureSheffield view in the 1960's, Woodseats Motors on the left, you can make out the showroom in f4ndang0's photos

Welcome to the forum f4ndang0

Hello f4andang0

Thanks for the contribution. Can you put a date on the photos ?

Hope to see some more posts from you in the future.

I think they are from the 50`s.

My Dad told me that a coal lorry was parked up the road outside the now Honda garage and its handbrake failed and it hit one of the large 60ft telegraph poles down and it conviniently fell between two cars damaging neither !!.

I have got some other Woodseats Motors related pictures of a motor show that they did up at the Arnold Palmer driving range with lots of 70`s Renaults

Oh and if you would like to see an original of the Woodseats motors picture there is one of them hung up in Nick Clulees garage on Heely Green in reception.He used to work for Woodseats motors at the bottom of Scarsdale.

On the subject of Renault dealers on Abbeydale Road South, was'nt there one one the site of what is now the Tesco petrol station at Millhouses?

Does anyone remember when cars were last sold at the premises on Crookes/Northfield Rd?, I have a vague memory of them selling Ferraris in the latter years (maybe because the shutters are still painted in the colours of the italian flag).

My uncle, Arnold Sykes, was apprenticed to Kennings as a motor mechanic on leaving Nether Green school about 1923. The remarkable thing about Arnold was that he finished his working life there in 1971 still as a mechanic. He was called up and served with the REME in the Yorks and Lancasters, during WW2 and was evacuated from Dunkirk (I remember him getting home from there in a filthy and dishevelled state). On demob he was happy to go straight back to Kennings as a mechanic. He never owned a car but had a BSA motorbike for a while! But he could drive a car, and Kennings would let him borrow a car at the weekend whenever he wanted one. He took me and my sister and a couple of my aunts out for a drive to Ladybower when it was being constructed, and one day we went as far as Blackpool to see my Grandparents who had retired there. After the war he lived with his wife and mother-in-law in Bamford. Their house was a small "two-up and two-down" place with outside toilet. He had two daughters so I'm amazed how the five of them managed. Arnold lived there for the rest of his life except for the last couple of years when his health deteriorated and he went into care.

I'm sure that Kennings were agents for Morris and Austin.

Guest timmeh101

I think they are from the 50`s.

My Dad told me that a coal lorry was parked up the road outside the now Honda garage and its handbrake failed and it hit one of the large 60ft telegraph poles down and it conviniently fell between two cars damaging neither !!.

I have got some other Woodseats Motors related pictures of a motor show that they did up at the Arnold Palmer driving range with lots of 70`s Renaults

Oh and if you would like to see an original of the Woodseats motors picture there is one of them hung up in Nick Clulees garage on Heely Green in reception.He used to work for Woodseats motors at the bottom of Scarsdale.

I know its a long time ago but could you possibly post the photos of the 'car show' at the golf range? It would be of great interest to me, thanks.

I have just bought 4 copies of the Sheffield Spectator from 1966 and 1969, I have extracted the Motor Dealer Adverts

August 1966

I bought a two year old Vauxhall Viva. It was the last Viva model to be made and I think it was called the Viva 1300 (not the HC). Apart from the the upper body shell it was a Vauxhall Chevette in all but name. It had the Chevette ( Shuv-it) version of the engine and transmission with the strange weights on springs type of extra dampers welded to the back axle. When I came to replace the front brake pads I carefully checked to see which brand of brake was fitted, as according to the manual either Girling or Lockheed might be fitted. I looked under the nearside front wing and they were Girling. I obtained the Girling pads and when I tried to fit them I found the offside was fitted with Lockheed. I contacted the main dealer and was told that it was a common occurance and if I took back one half set of Girling pads they would swap them for Lockheed. For all that they worked well. One snowy day a learner driver came out of an ice-clad side road and side-swiped me. The car was a canary yellow colour and had faded badly, afterwards I was the not very proud owner of a two-tone yellow car; one side much lighter than the other. When I bought it, I got through about three diaphragms for the carb in about as many months. Owners of Vivas and Chevettes never went anywhere without a spare in an old tobacco tin. I found that the inside faces of the carb were razor sharp with fash and after bit of work the problem didn't happen again.

hilldweller

I bought a two year old Vauxhall Viva. It was the last Viva model to be made and I think it was called the Viva 1300 (not the HC). Apart from the the upper body shell it was a Vauxhall Chevette in all but name. It had the Chevette ( Shuv-it) version of the engine and transmission with the strange weights on springs type of extra dampers welded to the back axle. When I came to replace the front brake pads I carefully checked to see which brand of brake was fitted, as according to the manual either Girling or Lockheed might be fitted. I looked under the nearside front wing and they were Girling. I obtained the Girling pads and when I tried to fit them I found the offside was fitted with Lockheed. I contacted the main dealer and was told that it was a common occurance and if I took back one half set of Girling pads they would swap them for Lockheed. For all that they worked well. One snowy day a learner driver came out of an ice-clad side road and side-swiped me. The car was a canary yellow colour and had faded badly, afterwards I was the not very proud owner of a two-tone yellow car; one side much lighter than the other. When I bought it, I got through about three diaphragms for the carb in about as many months. Owners of Vivas and Chevettes never went anywhere without a spare in an old tobacco tin. I found that the inside faces of the carb were razor sharp with fash and after bit of work the problem didn't happen again.

hilldweller

I like Vauxhall's. I am currently on my third one.

Fortunately they have improved a lot over the years, - but then again so have all other makes of car as well.

Guest brian dany padley

Beighton Motor Company, I had forgot about them, sat for hours outside the pub opposite as a kid, now what was the name of the pub

that would be the royal oak"

Guest BigFloppy

My dad was accounts manager for Brook Shaw's on Gibralter Street (for about 15 years), some fo the stories he had about the quality of new Ford cars was priceless, I remember 2 in particular, the first being a new Granada that was due to be delivered to its new owner, the drivers side mirror fell off before it even made it off the forecourt and second was the day the new cars came out, a Sierra Cosworth lasted all of 10 minutes before the body-shop got the call to go fetch it because it got wrapped round a lamp-post

I think you might mean Towngate road at Worrall as I don't think there's a Towngate road in

Oughtibridge. But what about Monty's Motors of Oughtibridge which now goes under a different name.

Advert from an undated Sheffield Transport Department & Joint Omnibus Committee ticket (4d)

Before my time or at least my memory - what were "Rootes models" and why the statement about "no connections" to other Brocklehursts?

A Brocklehurst advert from 1961 which handily lists all the different makes in the Rootes Group.

A Brocklehurst advert from 1961 which handily lists all the different makes in the Rootes Group.

All of which were British made vehicles :)

But sadly none of which are made any more :(

Guest OLD No.12

if someone is intrested in this item its free to a good home, let me know please