Railway Accident at Midland Station, 1979

madannie77

Anybody have any recollection of this? I have none, even though I was living in Sheffield at the time.

Basically, the brakes failed on a Chesterfield to Sheffield DMU which hit an empty DMU standing at platform 1 of Midland Station. Six passengers were injured, none seriously. The accident report front page is shown below.

Following all the usual enquiries, detailed testing of the brakes was undertaken, showing that of the 6 cylinders on the DMU, only two worked properly and a third partially, due to poor (non-existent) maintenance and testing at the DMU's base in Hull.

I remember coming into town on the 56 bus ( wybourne - city) when we got to turn right into harmer lane I noticed the breakdown , crane at sheffield midland

Guest sammyopisite

Hi Busman The 56 brings back some memories I was only at Greenland Road about a month and on my second day a monday on afternoons we had 8 Wybourns to do first half of duty and it came in late full standing load out and it was like that all shift straight in full load and off we did the 8 and were going for our relief when the inspector came over to us and said you have another trip to do before relief and I said to my conductor show him the waybill we have done 8 full loads but we finished half a hour early as we had just gone round and round so he told us to clear off and not say anything and to be more carefull with times for the rest of the week (thats one I got away with)

The full report into this incident and many others including the troop train disaster at Beighton during WW2 are available from www.railwaysarchive.co.uk

Theres hours and hours of facinating reads on there, from early primative working up to recent years.

The full report into this incident and many others including the troop train disaster at Beighton during WW2 are available from www.railwaysarchive.co.uk

Theres hours and hours of facinating reads on there, from early primative working up to recent years.

Spent far too long looking at reports from the Railway Archive site already! I forgot to put the link in my original post. It is noticeable how the length of reports has increased over the years to a point where even minor mishaps now warrant reports as big as books. The full report for the Sheffield accident is at http://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/eventsumm...hp?eventID=1233 where a downloadable PDF is available.

The unit that was "rammed" the unit as been split the undamaged end went to dony works to be paired up with another half. The damage unit emained at sheffield for some time.

Note the large number of GUV's (General Untility Vans)

The pic was taken from the top of a bus parked next to the wall :rolleyes: