Great Grandparents, Percy and Fanny Stanley (nee Cooper)

Guest kirsten

I am trying to find out when Percy and Fanny Stanley (my great grandparents) died and where they are buried but not getting anywhere at all.

I have got birth certificates for them both and their marriage certificate.

Percy was born 6 Oct 1891 at 43 Allen Street. His parents were Robert (Bob) and Florence Stanley (nee Drury). The address on his certificate is 43 Allen Street but 1891 census says 33 Silver Street, Sheffield. 1901 census address is 14/4 Furnace Hill, Sheffield.

Fanny Cooper was born on 4 Sep 1893 in Worksop. Her parents were George Henry and Elizabeth Ann Cooper (nee Hallam). 1901 census address is Crt 6 No 2 Porter Street, Sheffield.

When they got married, 4 Aug 1913 St George Sheffield, they were both living at 1 Wheldon Street. Percy was a stamper (his father Robert was deceased).

My dad thinks he remembers his grandad (Percy) but not grandmother Fanny. My dad was born in 1946.

Any help would be very gratefully appreciated.

Thanks

Kirsten

Hi Kirsten

Have you trawled through the death indexes?

Anything from 1915 up until the 1980's hasn't been transcribed as yet so it basically means just looking through each individual quarter of each year.

Cath x

I think what you need right now is called a "Hugh" lol

I can't find them in the published burial indexes. Without additional information, there is little alternative to trawling the death index.

I note 9 births in Sheffield, with surname STANLEY, mother's maiden name COOPER, between 1914 and 1933. Are they all children of this couple? If so, that narrows down the possible dates for Fanny's death. One of those children, Colin, died young in 1924. I tried looking for a burial for him, but without success.

Hugh

I can't find them in the published burial indexes. Without additional information, there is little alternative to trawling the death index.

I note 9 births in Sheffield, with surname STANLEY, mother's maiden name COOPER, between 1914 and 1933. Are they all children of this couple? If so, that narrows down the possible dates for Fanny's death. One of those children, Colin, died young in 1924. I tried looking for a burial for him, but without success.

Hugh

If you can't find 'em Hugh then it's time to get the trawling nets out ...

Hi

Percy Stanley had a brother John Stanley born 1898 in Sheffield and a sister Alice Stanley born 1900 also born in Sheffield.

Fannys siblings are as follows:-

James Cooper 1891 Sheffield

then Fanny herself 1893 Worksop

William E Cooper 1896 Worksop

George Cooper 1898 Sheffield

Elsie Cooper 1900 Sheffield

Alice Cooper 1902 Sheffield

Frank Cooper 1905 Sheffield

Hannah Cooper 1909 Sheffield

Thanks

Kirsten

Hi

Children of Percy and Fanny Stanley are

Alice Stanley born 8 March 1916 Cleethorpes (Percy was a sapper, cutter journeyman) she died 14 March 1976 she is my grandmother

Ivy Maud and George Stanley born 1920 in Sheffield unfortunately I haven't got any more information on these two.

I've looked through the death records between dates 1920 - 1960 for Fanny and 1961 - 1975 for Percy.

Thanks Kirsten

Guest elainel

Hello Kirsten,

My stomach turned when I read your post purely by accident. I am one of the grandchildren of Percys younger brother John. I have been researching this side of the family for a little while now and have inherited many handwritten letters to Florence Drury (Roberts Wife) from Roberts parents and sisters in Hartlepool. I have uncovered lots of history that I am sure you will want to hear going back as far as Percys Great Grandad. Haven't uncovered a family fortune yet though i'm afraid! I have sent you a message with my details in order that we can arrange to meet. I am so pleased I have finally been able to track somebody down from Percys side of the family. I had put a couple of posts in Sheffield Forum but with no success.

Best Wishes, Elaine.

Guest kirsten

Thank you so much for yesterday Elaine

It turns out that somehow Percy was registered as 'Stanley' instead of 'Winstanley'

Guest kirsten

Hi Everyone

Just to keep you updated,

I've managed to find a death certificate (and sadly an unmarked grave) for Fanny Stanley - she died in 1955. Percy had already died by then as their son was the informant on the certificate. I didn't know he existed until then and am going to do a bit of digging around to see if I can find my newly extended family. Sooooo exciting!

I now know Percy was alive in 1948 but not in 1955. But I still can't find him but wont stop until I do. I notice theres a missing index for Sept quarter of 1951 so if he died then I wont be able to find him.

I think my next step is to go to the archives and have a look there.

Kirsten

I've managed to find a death certificate (and sadly an unmarked grave) for Fanny Stanley - she died in 1955.

Where is Fanny buried?

Hugh

Guest kirsten

just a quick note to say that I've found my great grandfather, Percy Stanley, death certificate.

he died in Dec quarter of 1944, I've just got to go to archives now to see where he's buried

I've got a receipt from what I thought was his mothers funeral making me think his death was between 1948 and 1955. It turns out that the receipt was his son Percys. so confusing

Kirsten