• Imre Varadi
    • Gary Bannister
    • David Hirst
    • Paolo Di Canio
    • Benito Carbone
    • Lee Chapman
    • Gerald Sibon
    • Other.....

Who's the best Sheffield Wednesday striker of all time ?

I've put just a few in the vote - there's the option of 'other' you can choose if you can think of someone else you think worthy of the title..

COME COME THE BEST CENTRE FORWARD EVER FOR OWLS HAS TO BE

DERECK DOOLEY, BUT WHO WAS NEXT BEST.

DAVID LAYNE,JACKIE SEWELL WERE GOOD GOAL GETTERS

Remember - the ones in the voting were just to prompt votes - not necessarily the best of the lot

;-)

The problem with a poll like this is that is subject to personal memories(as shows in your poll options) and not actual facts. Other factors would also have to be taken into account eg the level of competition up against, the modern game v the olden days with its water logged leather balls etc.

How do you compare Andrew wilson who signed in 1900 and played a whopping 545 games for the club scoring 216 goals to Jimmy Trotter who's 39 first division goals in 1925/26 included two five goal games, Or Derek Dooley with his 47 goals in a season to DI Canio's 17 goals in 48 games. The closest would be John Fanthams 167 goals in 435 games with David Hirst's 149 goals in 358 games.

Sorry to rain on your topic but I do think that it is almost impossible to say which one is "The Best Ever" as it will always be open to argument.

Everything you say is true

But polls like this are always good to have - and to have a good old argument about !

Guest super-sibon

I cannot believe you have Di Canio & Carbone there but no Quixall or Fantham? I take it you have only been supporting the Owls for 15yrs?

Did you realise we have been around slightly longer?

As a result....a very poor thread.

Guest owl capone

Hence the 'other' option

;-)

Just goes to show exactly what a great history we actually have. i started going in 65 when we had this big lad called John Hickton. he was a centre half who converted to Centre forward after we sold him to middlesboro He came back to haunt us a few times especially when they thumped us 8-0 in 74.

My first "hero" was John Ritchie what a striker and sold so cheaply back to Stoke. Fantham was a star of that era and Whitham had so much promise but begn to fade in a fading side. The team of the late 60's could have gone on to great things but as usual Wednesday lost their way big time.

But for me Big JR was th top man RIP big fella

Just goes to show exactly what a great history we actually have. i started going in 65 when we had this big lad called John Hickton. he was a centre half who converted to Centre forward after we sold him to middlesboro He came back to haunt us a few times especially when they thumped us 8-0 in 74.

My first "hero" was John Ritchie what a striker and sold so cheaply back to Stoke. Fantham was a star of that era and Whitham had so much promise but begn to fade in a fading side. The team of the late 60's could have gone on to great things but as usual Wednesday lost their way big time.

I will always remember the goal he scored at Bramall lane in 1967. We won 1-0 (Which is the last time we won there in the league)it was a great day out. It was sad that he passed away at a relativly young age.

Considering the state of the club at the time when he was playing

Roger Wylde must be up there somewhere, 25 goals in 1976/77.

The fact that he is a relation of mine has no influence on my choice ;-)

He's here

He's there

He's every f**** where

Roger Wylde, Roger Wylde.

Great days! Wylde was my fave.

But Dooley has the best record and DiCanio the most talent.

Guest fredmciverslovechild

I remember the home game against Arsenal, Christmas 1965, when Hickton bagged a hat trick. He was truly brilliant that day.

He was originally a centre half but was top scorer for the reserves and so was tried up front. When Vic Mobley got injured in the semi against Chelsea Hickton was expected to take his place in the final but Sam Ellis unexpectedly got the nod. Hickton was then offloaded on the cheap to Boro who wanted him to play in attack and the rest is history. Dooley tried to tempt him back to S6 when he was boss.....

The irony is that only three or four months after selling Hickton we went out and bought John Ritchie because we didn't have a goalscorer.....

come on ,why hasn't anybody mentioned terry curran?

boxing day masacure?

We mentioned his singing lol

And yes, I was there on THAT day, what a day that was, early kick-off, even earlier beer-drinking; after the event a joyous afternoon with my Unitedite Bro-in-Law, gave him a cuppa in the cup shown in the Sheffield Made, I've Got This thread; he wasn't Happy ..... most enjoyable

Guest belfrybum

yes, i was there with my dad in the north stand.absolutely brilliant match! can you remember the year?

COME ON T.C. !!!

Johnny Fantham in my time, but Varadi was the most clinical finisher I've ever seen wear blue and white.

Maybe you want to start a Worst Striker (in the world) poll? (Peter Feeley)

Or a Worst Player poll. (Mick Kent, Graham Hedley/Colin Gregson... there are too many)

I actually went to boston for Feeley's debut and he was outclassed by them....

We watched part of the game sat on a sofa on top of the dugout....

Guest belfrybum

why hasn't anybody mentioned gerald sibon? haha absolutely useless!!

did anyone know imre varadi and mel sterland are now agents?

last time i saw mel he was going the same way as his mate david hirst(spreading out a bit)!

sorry .! big stars in their day though!

Guest shoretd

Hirsty all the way!!!

I have never seen such a talent in a blue & white shirt. Pace, strength, presence, positioning, skill, passion and f*ck me......... what a shot!

Pity that his latter days were riddled with injury and he never seemed to be the player he was after those. He'd have kept Shearer out of the england set up if it wasn't for his injuries.

UP THE OWLS!!

I did not see Derek Dooley, so in my years of watching Wednesday it has to be Hirst, with a special mention for Gary Bannister who had a great goal scoring record in his spell at Hillsborough, as for worst I would like to propose a certain Colin West, considering he had played at Glasgow Rangers he was very poor !

Guest alantoft

Derek Dooley

Averaged a goal a game for the club!

Totally agree. Nobody will ever get near Dooleys goal scoring average.

I was also a great fan of Quixall, Finney, Fantham and of course David Hirst.

What wouldn't we give for any of them now??.