My Great Aunt - Clara Ellen Schnetzler nee Wild

yorkshirecath

Hiya

I'm doing a bit of research into my great grandfathers sister Clara.

She was born in 1853 in Sheffield and in 1878 married a german chap called Hermann Eugen Schnetzler who was born in Karlsruhe in 1850.

In 1891 they are living together and have 3 children, Helen, Adele and Hermann Jr.

In 1901 she is listed as a widow but i cannot find any records of Hermann dying?

In the 1911 census she is living with her daughter Adele and family in Lewisham but must move back to Sheffield.

In 1915 she was served Naturalisation papers by the government, presumably to prove her nationality? This is from the National Archives:

Nationality and Naturalisation: Schnetzler, Clara Helen, from Germany. Resident in Sheffield. Certificate 928 issued 12 June 1915. Re-admission.

She is shown in the directories in 1920 so was alive then.

What i wanted to know is do you think she would have been interned during the war and if so where would she have gone?

I'm guessing with a name like Schnetzler she wouldn't have been too popular!

Thanks

Cath x

Hiya

I'm doing a bit of research into my great grandfathers sister Clara.

She was born in 1853 in Sheffield and in 1878 married a german chap called Hermann Eugen Schnetzler who was born in Karlsruhe in 1850.

In 1891 they are living together and have 3 children, Helen, Adele and Hermann Jr.

In 1901 she is listed as a widow but i cannot find any records of Hermann dying?

In the 1911 census she is living with her daughter Adele and family in Lewisham but must move back to Sheffield.

In 1915 she was served Naturalisation papers by the government, presumably to prove her nationality? This is from the National Archives:

Nationality and Naturalisation: Schnetzler, Clara Helen, from Germany. Resident in Sheffield. Certificate 928 issued 12 June 1915. Re-admission.

She is shown in the directories in 1920 so was alive then.

What i wanted to know is do you think she would have been interned during the war and if so where would she have gone?

I'm guessing with a name like Schnetzler she wouldn't have been too popular!

Thanks

Cath x

Can't help with the internment question, but here are a few more facts which may help you with your research.

Hermann Eugene Schnetzler was a steel, file and saw manufacturer (Schnetzler, Wild & Co., based at 275 Solly Street in 1893).

Perhaps somewhat supprisingly its his middle name that seems to get misspelt e.g. Eugen and even Eaugust. They lived at 33 Spring Hill Road at this time.

Mrs Clara Helen Schnetzler in listed in 1911, 1919 and 1925 as householder at 305 Fulwood Road. This extends the 1920 you mentioned.

--------------------

Hopefully we will manage to uncover more information; Good Luck, keep us posted.

Can't help with the internment question, but here are a few more facts which may help you with your research.

Hermann Eugene Schnetzler was a steel, file and saw manufacturer (Schnetzler, Wild & Co., based at 275 Solly Street in 1893).

Perhaps somewhat supprisingly its his middle name that seems to get misspelt e.g. Eugen and even Eaugust. They lived at 33 Spring Hill Road at this time.

Mrs Clara Helen Schnetzler in listed in 1911, 1919 and 1925 as householder at 305 Fulwood Road. This extends the 1920 you mentioned.

--------------------

Hopefully we will manage to uncover more information; Good Luck, keep us posted.

Thanks Richard.

Wild was Clara's family. Her father Charles and Grandfather Ebenezer ran Wild and Co, then Hermann must have ran it for a while and then it went back to Wild and Co and Wild and Son.

He is shown on a couple of immigration documents as being a merchant.

I can't find a record of his death so i'm wondering if he maybe went back to Germany or something.

Cath x

Hi Cath,

Not sure if you are still connected to this website, as you posted this around nine years ago, but...

Clara is my great grandmother. Her daughter, Adele, was my grandmother.

I was just googling Clara's name and came across this thread! Great to hear of someone also researching my family!

Hello, I have many items relating to Hermann and his wife. Her maiden name was Wild an she was born at Nether Hallam. Best Regards, Simon & Gill Robinson, Welbourn, Lincolnshire.

On 22/02/2018 at 11:13, Familytree said:

Hi Cath,

Not sure if you are still connected to this website, as you posted this around nine years ago, but...

Clara is my great grandmother. Her daughter, Adele, was my grandmother.

I was just googling Clara's name and came across this thread! Great to hear of someone also researching my family!

Hello, I have a whole stack of letters etc written by Clara and also things sent to Hermann

Hello Simon and Gill, very good to hear from you, and am fascinated to hear of your collection of items relating to Clara and Hermann. It would be great to have a look at them if possible, though we are in St Albans.

Barnaby Mager

Hello, Some of these are currently for sale on Ebay. Regards S & G., (gillybrod)

P.S. sorry for the delay just noticed your message

I contacted you (Barnaby) via email and via FB messenger I believe to let you know I had many many original letters written between Clara and Herman and their children but never had a reply 

Hi I only found any information that i could for any party interested and have no relationship to any.

Hello, I have many letters to Clara and Hermann, from the 1870-90’s, I recently purchased these on eBay.