Manor Top Subway

Guest wayneybabes

Guest Giddeon

Some more pics from my collection:

The first two were taken with my Pentax camera.

This is where Hurlfield Road joins Mansfield. In the middle of this one you can see the subway railings. In the 70's at this point on that road I was knocked down by a green Ford Cortina. It only just tapped me, so the man and woman took me home in the car. All I had done was bad cut on my knee. I found out later they were friends of a relation of mine.

The junction itself same time! Manor Top doctors in the trees, still a doctors today. And Manor clinc further along.

Back to my pocket instant camera for this 1989 shot. The building on the left is the bakery and the distant building is the shopping center. The reason this bit of road was still there was due to it being the old private road of the Duke of Norfolk, well what was left of it!

Perfect. That's exactly the freezer shop i was talking about, I guess my memories are older than i thought and thereby made at a much younger age. I remembered the shop but couldnt actually remember where at t he top of that big ramp it was. Now i know and i can feel relieved. I think we only ever went in there twice and we went shopping (my mom, my grandma or 'nannan' and me and then my sister in the pram) every weekend. There were a couple of shops i'd gone past hundreds of times and always wanted to know whats inside, like the car spares shop that looked dark and murky and very rarely i'd see someone come out with some fascinating bit of gizmo and i'd REALLY wanna go in to see inside.

Well, thanks for that, i'm gonna show all these to the family next oppertunity, thanks everyone. I'm sure something else will come back to me and raise yet more questions about vague memories and i'll ask all you very smart people :)

Good 'ere innit?

Oh, p.s. Anyone remember the shops on or near wulfric road? any pictures of that? There were two sets, one had a chipshop and like a butchers i think, then there was the other that was on prince of wales road with the newsagents where you could go downstairs inside. And.. i would LOVE it if someone had a picture of the sweet shop on wulfric road. It's all boarded up now on google earth but if you put in something like "97 Wulfric Road" and spin the camera you should see it. If you have a pic of that from when it was a sweet shop, specificly from about 80 to about 87 i would really like that.

Anyways, thanks again everyone it's great seing things again :)

Spot on there History Dude.

However, you are sort of indicating here that you actually went to Hurlfield yourself !!! :o:blink::wacko:

Not many Hurlfielders would want to admit that to a bunch of Norfolk lads like me, Stuart, Steve and wayneybabes as Hurlfield were our local rivals (or "the enemy" as some would say) B)

Having said that, in 1977 I did my first teaching practice at Hurlfield.

I do go to the Hurlfield :o

Missed you by a year ;-)

My cousin would have still been there though Alan Tew :mellow:

I didn't hang around the school long enough to get beaten up by Norfolk lads, because I was busy getting away from been beaten up by the Hurlfield lads :P

I didn't hang around the school long enough to get beaten up by Norfolk lads, because I was busy getting away from been beaten up by the Hurlfield lads :P

Nothing changes does it ! In the 50s it was Hillfoot versus Philly daft dogs on West Don Street, [sorry U/L] then Chaucer versus Meynell Road. I don't think we were as evil then though. W/E.

Nothing changes does it ! In the 50s it was Hillfoot versus Philly daft dogs on West Don Street, [sorry U/L] then Chaucer versus Meynell Road. I don't think we were as evil then though. W/E.

I remember the Meynell Road kids waiting for us [ Chaucer ] coming down Halifax road to catch the tram.

It was great when they took the trams off and then we had to get the bus which just happened to stop

outside the school gates.

No more afternoon battles with Meynell Road kids.

Good 'ere innit?

Oh, p.s. Anyone remember the shops on or near wulfric road? any pictures of that? There were two sets, one had a chipshop and like a butchers i think,

Brilliant on here I'd say.

The shops on City Road just up from Wulfric were a regular haunt of the Norfolk school kids.

The chip shop would sell you a bag of chips and the bakers / bread / sandwich shop next door would sell you half a loaf to make a chip butty.

You got the half a loaf, pulled the soft middle bit out of it and then filled the hole it left with a bag of chips.

I do go to the Hurlfield :o

Missed you by a year ;-)

My cousin would have still been there though Alan Tew :mellow:

When I left Norfolk I went to Ashleigh for 6th form and met a few ex Hurlfield lads who had made a similar move. This was much more friendly and relaxed with the old inter school rivalries removed and they became good friends. When we got talking about our old schools it was suprising how much both schools had in common.

As for the rivalries themselves, the fights were minimal unless a gang was deliberately out for trouble and causing a fight and went onto the other schools territory.

At breaks & lunchtimes when kids left the school grounds (officially or otherwise) it was a sort of unwritten rule that Hurlfield would go to the shops on Northern Avenue and Norfolk would go to those on City Road Front. Only a real hard case troublecauser from our school would walk up to Northern Avenue shops at dinnertime wearing a Norfolk School uniform.

The main problem was that Hurlfield had a swimming pool (still does) and Norfolk didn't. For our swimming lessons at Juniour school we used to go to Woodthorpe school baths and at first at secondary school we went to Park Baths, but when we started going to Hurlfield baths I got the impression that some Hurlfielders didn't like it that some Norfolk kids were coming into their school to use their facilities.

Having said that the schools were similar that is not entirely true depending on your generation.

Up until going comprehensive in 1969, Hurlfield was HURLFIELD BOYS SCHOOL (There was also a Hurlfield Girls School, which, in 1969 when Hurlfield boys became mixed, became Ashleigh lower school)

Norfolk was always a mixed sex school.

Now what really put me off going to Hurlfield was the idea of spending my testosterone driven teenage adolescent years in a school that only had boys in it.

Brilliant on here I'd say.

The shops on City Road just up from Wulfric were a regular haunt of the Norfolk school kids.

The chip shop would sell you a bag of chips and the bakers / bread / sandwich shop next door would sell you half a loaf to make a chip butty.

You got the half a loaf, pulled the soft middle bit out of it and then filled the hole it left with a bag of chips.

Rolled the middle bit into a ball and chucked at your mate lol

I remember at dinner break, the pavement outside the shops being littered with bread dough.

I do go to the Hurlfield :o Missed you by a year ;-) My cousin would have still been there though Alan Tew :mellow: I didn't hang around the school long enough to get beaten up by Norfolk lads, because I was busy getting away from been beaten up by the Hurlfield lads :P

Just dug this out from my Minox subminiature camera collection (hence low quality and grainy, - sorry)

Hurlfield school

Not there any more, now demolished and replaced with the new Springs Academy building around the back.

But this picture shows it as it was (even me, a Norfolk lad, would say "at it's best")

This is what old Hurlfielders called "The Ship"

That long narrow hull like building, inside having a massively long central corridor with classrooms either side.

That chimney on the roof with the white bit around it that looks like a steam ships bridge and funnel.

And, not in the picture but just off to the right, the single storey craft workshops with sloped rooves that looked like waves on the sea.

"The Ship" was a good nickname for this fine building.

In contrast, Norfolk school was largely in typical 1930's redbrick.

Rolled the middle bit into a ball and chucked at your mate lol

I remember at dinner break, the pavement outside the shops being littered with bread dough.

Yes Steve,

I didn't want to say that bit to preserve the schools good name and reputation of its students with the local residents.

But you are of course correct, - that's what happened with most of the loaf centres.

I never heard it called the ship before, even though it looks like one. We knew it as the West Wing! They were mainly classrooms with tables and chairs on the top floor. Below it were art rooms and on the ground floor science and chemistry labs.

The other part with the big block that towered over the place was the East Wing. After a heavy winds (during one weekend) the Headmaster told us that it's roof and gone flying off in the direction of Gleadless he he It was always a state the East Wing Tower Block. I remember speaking to a guy from the education department in the late 1980's and he said they could have spent the entire repair budget for the year on that block and it would still be a mess.

I never heard it called the ship before, even though it looks like one. We knew it as the West Wing! They were mainly classrooms with tables and chairs on the top floor. Below it were art rooms and on the ground floor science and chemistry labs.

The other part with the big block that towered over the place was the East Wing. After a heavy winds (during one weekend) the Headmaster told us that it's roof and gone flying off in the direction of Gleadless he he It was always a state the East Wing Tower Block. I remember speaking to a guy from the education department in the late 1980's and he said they could have spent the entire repair budget for the year on that block and it would still be a mess.

When I did my teaching practice there in 1977 the science labs were in the East Wing on either the second or third floor. While I was there we had some roof problems and much of the tower suffered water intrusion and flooding.

In the year 2000 I went back to Hurlfield (then known as Myrtle Springs) with a view to sending my son there after finishing at Gleadless Junior School (ultimately he didn't go to Myrtle, he went to City instead, but we investigated all the local schools, - Norfolk had already gone). By this time the East Wing was completely boarded up with just a dingy corridor through on ground floor level to cut through to the classrooms at the back. The science labs were now in the West Wing at ground floor level.

Unfortunately, with the new build of Springs Academy, none of this building remains today.

They had science labs in the east wing when I was there too. The West wing ones were probably there from the early days and since they had gas taps didn't want to take them out. Mind you with over a 1000 kids at the school they needed them. They had to do assembly in three areas. The main hall near the entrance, the east wing dinner area and the west wing dinner area all at the same time! When I was on Facebook there were some pictures taken of the buildings under demolition. They might be still on Facebook, it was on a section for Hurlfield School. However I think we are getting a bit off topic (well I am) here, so I'll shut up :)

They had science labs in the east wing when I was there too. The West wing ones were probably there from the early days and since they had gas taps didn't want to take them out. Mind you with over a 1000 kids at the school they needed them. They had to do assembly in three areas. The main hall near the entrance, the east wing dinner area and the west wing dinner area all at the same time! When I was on Facebook there were some pictures taken of the buildings under demolition. They might be still on Facebook, it was on a section for Hurlfield School. However I think we are getting a bit off topic (well I am) here, so I'll shut up :)

Well, you could start a new topic.

I have often thought that the Norfolk School topic was so successful that I should start another one about another local school like Hurlfield or Ashleigh perhaps as I have worked in both.

But as my knowledge of these schools is less than that of Norfolk I am probably not the person to do it

Do they still sell proper Fishcakes ? Not had one in a lot of years ...

What do you mean by a proper fishcake?

All the chip shops around Manor Top sell a fishcake consisting of a small thinly cut piece of fish, sandwiched between 2 slabs of potato and fried in batter.

The other sort of fishcakes (the ones sold as fishcakes by Captain Birds Eye and the like) are rissoles to us.

The freezer place at the top of the row of shops was called Oldfield's freezer palace :)

Thanks for the post gazparkin and thank you for providing this information.

Oldfields freezer palace it is then.

(Not much of a palace though if it was at Manor Top but never mind)