Manor Top Subway

Guest wayneybabes

The shelter in this photo was on Ridgeway Road, near the junction with Hollinsend Road.

The one in Giddeons first post with 2 linked pictures, the second picture may well be Hollinsend (That woman in the shelter looks like my grandmother)

But the single link in Giddeon's later post is definately Mansfield Road, - after all that building on the opposite side of the road is the Elm Tree pub.

Guest wayneybabes

The one in Giddeons first post with 2 linked pictures, the second picture may well be Hollinsend (That woman in the shelter looks like my grandmother)

But the single link in Giddeon's later post is definately Mansfield Road, - after all that building on the opposite side of the road is the Elm Tree pub.

1: It is definately Hollinsend (its also labelled on picturesheffield as Ridgeway/Hollinsend)

2: Definately correct

Guest wayneybabes

Another thing too, been looking at very old releases of sweets and long forgotten stuff like tomato flavoured wotsits that noone remembers and arguing that monster munch had 'spicy' flavour and not 'hot' and they were in an orange bag and noone remember s them either! (I miss Smiths Crisps, Rowntrees and Terrys).

Thanks again everyone :)

Yes, Tomato flavoured Wotsits I remember, as well as Walkers Tomato flavoured Snaps. There did used to be a spicy flavoured Monster Munch in an orange bag as well, never used to be the Hot ones that you get nowadays.

Cant beat Smiths crisps with the blue sachet of salt!

1: It is definately Hollinsend (its also labelled on picturesheffield as Ridgeway/Hollinsend)

2: Definately correct

Thanks wayneybabes, I thought I was right.

Guest Giddeon

Yes, Tomato flavoured Wotsits I remember, as well as Walkers Tomato flavoured Snaps. There did used to be a spicy flavoured Monster Munch in an orange bag as well, never used to be the Hot ones that you get nowadays.

Cant beat Smiths crisps with the blue sachet of salt!

Hehe, glad someone else remembers them too.

Oh and to DaveH who asked, no, I went to prince of wales school right on the manor top then we moved to what was the relatively quiet area of waterthorpe. Then i went watherthorpe first school for a year, then emmanuel middle school then carter lodge. A coupla years before they shut it down infact, funding was dropping on my year and those after.

The Frozen food shop I think was kinda near the top of the big ramp leading up to Fine Fare, past the off license and the moto spares shop, at the top on the flat bit. I'm guessing where the asda car park is now. I can barely remember it sorry, it's why i ask if anyone else remembers it. I was also surprised to see another building up there on an old photo somewhere, maybe that was it? Well, i'm sure people here remember much more than i did as a little 5 year old kid being dragged along shopping with his mom and nannan and baby sister haha.

https://www.hpacde.o...jpgh/u02655.jpg

Anyways, i'll have a look round the forum when i next get chance, be nice to find out things before i was around.

Thanks for the help with the shops too, Couldnt be sure if there was one inbetween 'Challenge' and 'Gateway', now i know there wasnt. I remember when i was a kid a tile missing on the floor and i could see right down into a MASSIVE area underneath the shop. I could see lights hanging down i think and people looking really small. The hole was next to the long freezers right at the back, obviously you cant get there now because the shop is half as big but if anyone else remembers it... I could have died! I was about 4 ish years old (maybe 5) and i could fit my entire body down that hole. I wanted to drop something down but but thought i would get into trouble :D

Well, ttfn folks

The Frozen food shop I think was kinda near the top of the big ramp leading up to Fine Fare, past the off license and the moto spares shop, at the top on the flat bit. I'm guessing where the asda car park is now. I can barely remember it sorry, it's why i ask if anyone else remembers it. I was also surprised to see another building up there on an old photo somewhere, maybe that was it? Well, i'm sure people here remember much more than i did as a little 5 year old kid being dragged along shopping with his mom and nannan and baby sister haha.

Anyways, i'll have a look round the forum when i next get chance, be nice to find out things before i was around.

Didn't there used to be a Chinese takeawy about half way up that ramp as well, roughly where the amusement arcade is.

The current Chinese takeaway at Manor Top, called the Wah King, but usually called something else by changing a letter and sticking the 2 words together, is on Mansfield Road, opposite the Elm Tree, behind that bus shelter as was.

Oh and to DaveH who asked, no, I went to prince of wales school right on the manor top then we moved to what was the relatively quiet area of waterthorpe. Then i went watherthorpe first school for a year, then emmanuel middle school then carter lodge. A coupla years before they shut it down infact, funding was dropping on my year and those after.

Prince of Wales school as it is today,

But now it's called Prince Edward school !!!! :o

Well, the man who was to become king Edward VII spent a long time as Prince of Wales waiting to be King due to his mother's very long reign (Victoria, 1837 - 1901)

As our current Queen now has a reign of similar length and it is likely she could exceed that of Victoria I wonder if Prince Charles could become the longest serving Prince of Wales. He was invested as Prince of Wales in 1969 when he was 21, - and that's 43 years ago now!

Prince of Wales school as it is today,

Well, the man who was to become king Edward VII spent a long time as Prince of Wales waiting to be King due to his mother's very long reign (Victoria, 1837 - 1901)

As our current Queen now has a reign of similar length and it is likely she could exceed that of Victoria I wonder if Prince Charles could become the longest serving Prince of Wales. He was invested as Prince of Wales in 1969 when he was 21, - and that's 43 years ago now!

Us lads from Norfolk used to hate Prince of Wales school and the very mention of it would fill us with dread.

The reason for this is that somewhere around the back of Prince of Wales school, in a side entrance off of Queen Mary Road was the School Dental Service and the School Dentist.

Every so often a dentist would visit Norfolk and have at look at all the kids teeth and tap around them with a metal rod looking for signs of decay.

About a week later some kids would get an appointment card to go to the dentist at Manor Top (PoW school), this was something you really didn't want to get.

To make matters worse, some of these appointment cards had a green top left hand corner and the words "NO BREAKFAST" in red. If you got one of those it invariably meant some sort of anaesthesia (gas) and an extraction or a load of metal mercury amalgam fillings.

That was enough to put fear into any kid.

So, Prince of Wales was probably an excellent school (probably still is) but to kids at Norfolk and Hurlfield it will forever be associated with the unpleasantness of the school dentist.

That ramp up to the shops with shops on it, just to the right of the Elm Tree has certainly changed now

Didn't there used to be a Chinese takeawy about half way up that ramp as well, roughly where the amusement arcade is.

The current Chinese takeaway at Manor Top, called the Wah King, but usually called something else by changing a letter and sticking the 2 words together, is on Mansfield Road, opposite the Elm Tree, behind that bus shelter as was.

Looking the other way down that ramp you can see the shops on the other side of Mansfield Road, including the Wah King Chinese takeaway just behind the bus stops. The current day bus shelter is slightly lower down to the right.

Only shop at Manor Top which is obviously a freezer shop is Fultons Foods which is in the row between the old Manor Cinema (now Tesco) and the Manor Clinic / Manor Library

You could well have been in Challenge / Gateway / whatever it was called at the time Supermarket, formerly Manor Cinema when this event happened though Giddeon.

After all, Supermarkets sell frozen food and have rows of freezers don't they?

Further, The Manor Cinema had a gallery balcony and stalls for watching the films. The stalls were below the level of the street at Manor Top, as they sloped down the hill to be level with Dagnman Crescent at the other end. When it was converted from Cinema to Supermarket they must have put a new floor in level with the street at Manor Top. The lower level is now only accessible from the rear car park off Dagnam Crescent and is where they take stock and deliveries to the lower level storage area. To store food I imagine they have a lot of freezers down there.

To illustrate the point that it is Mansfield Road, I have tried to "Then & Now" it. Here's the NOW picture

Unfortunately, the THEN picture which Giddeon has linked is a picturesheffield image and the copyright is with them so I can't post the 2 pictures side by side for direct comparison.

Guest wayneybabes

Us lads from Norfolk used to hate Prince of Wales school and the very mention of it would fill us with dread.

In the Senior School, as you know we used to go up to Becketts at dinner time but then we used to walk past Barnards Newsagents (just up and across from the Elm Tree) and cut down the side of the flats/shops. There is a MASSIVE wall to the back playground of the School and we used to torment the kids and eat our dinner sat on the top of it. One day, my mate waited for thier dinner break to end and jumped into the playground and put a homemade pentop banger in a keyhole and lit it. It set the fire alarms off and we legged it over the Manor Top and my mate ended up legging it through the Manor Estate!. This made us late getting back to school and we ended up getting put on report!.

Before you grass me up to my Auntie Sue Dave, i didnt do the deed so i'm not the bad guy :)

Guest wayneybabes

That ramp up to the shops with shops on it, just to the right of the Elm Tree has certainly changed now

The freezer shop, presumably the one at the top of the ramp, IIRC changed into a sports shop?

I do seem to remember it being a freezer shop in my early years but if this is the shop that giddeon speaks about, then it definately changed into a sports shop mid to late 80's

Before you grass me up to my Auntie Sue Dave, i didnt do the deed so i'm not the bad guy :)

Still an accomplice to the crime wayneybabes

...and still late for school in the afternoon.

If old pop Ward had been your form tutor you would have got a good thrashing with the cane for that.

this photo shows the shop but i cannot make out what it says on the sign

During the 70's it was a freezer place and then became Fred Hartley's. A sort of DIY store.

A the top of the ramp was Fine Fare supermarket, plus a small cabin that was owned by Barnard's who owned most of the shops on the other side of the road.

Us lads from Norfolk used to hate Prince of Wales school and the very mention of it would fill us with dread. The reason for this is that somewhere around the back of Prince of Wales school, in a side entrance off of Queen Mary Road was the School Dental Service and the School Dentist. Every so often a dentist would visit Norfolk and have at look at all the kids teeth and tap around them with a metal rod looking for signs of decay. About a week later some kids would get an appointment card to go to the dentist at Manor Top (PoW school), this was something you really didn't want to get. To make matters worse, some of these appointment cards had a green top left hand corner and the words "NO BREAKFAST" in red. If you got one of those it invariably meant some sort of anaesthesia (gas) and an extraction or a load of metal mercury amalgam fillings. That was enough to put fear into any kid. So, Prince of Wales was probably an excellent school (probably still is) but to kids at Norfolk and Hurlfield it will forever be associated with the unpleasantness of the school dentist.

TELL ME ABOUT IT!

One of my dentists said to me once "that's a mouth of metal you've got there!"

I found out later that dentists then got paid for every filling they did. In other words they were on a bouns scheme ;-)

I always remember one of the dentists there used to wear a fur hat! Made him look like a Russian chap... Perhaps he was?

Some of the kids though at Hurlfield and I suspect Norfolk too, used the yellow check up cards as an excuse to go home early, if they were in the afternoon. I remember at Hurlfield the headmaster saying you can still get back to school with a 2pm dental check up! So unless it was after 3pm you had to return or get into stick!

Dave H don't know where you got the idea it was called "Prince of Wales School" :unsure: Has it as always been called Prince Edward School. Even the council official opening brochure for the 3 October 1929 calls it "Prince Edward Council School". :mellow:

Dave H don't know where you got the idea it was called "Prince of Wales School" :unsure: Has it as always been called Prince Edward School. Even the council official opening brochure for the 3 October 1929 calls it "Prince Edward Council School". :mellow:

Strangely Prince Edward School's address is City Rd, I did not know that

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/education/our-schools/find-a-school/primary

Some more pics from my collection:

The first two were taken with my Pentax camera.

This is where Hurlfield Road joins Mansfield. In the middle of this one you can see the subway railings. In the 70's at this point on that road I was knocked down by a green Ford Cortina. It only just tapped me, so the man and woman took me home in the car. All I had done was bad cut on my knee. I found out later they were friends of a relation of mine.

The junction itself same time! Manor Top doctors in the trees, still a doctors today. And Manor clinc further along.

Back to my pocket instant camera for this 1989 shot. The building on the left is the bakery and the distant building is the shopping center. The reason this bit of road was still there was due to it being the old private road of the Duke of Norfolk, well what was left of it!

Guest wayneybabes

Sorry, i got confused :blink: (mind you I was only a schoolkid at the time!). I thought Giddeon meant the shop at the top of the ramp. If you look on my photo you can just see Hartleys which is the Oldfields Freezer shop on your photo

So the shop at the top of the ramp as far as my memory serves me was just a sports shop and not the freezer place

great photos these, bring back memories :rolleyes:

During the 70's it was a freezer place and then became Fred Hartley's. A sort of DIY store.

A the top of the ramp was Fine Fare supermarket, plus a small cabin that was owned by Barnard's who owned most of the shops on the other side of the road.

Remember Fred Hartleys, more of a motor DIY place than anything else, and the kiosk / cabin which was regularly subjected to criminal attacks.

I sort of knew it was Prince Edwards school really, but as it was at the top of Prince of Wales Road we always seemed to call of Prince of Wales school.

However, we never went up there much and tended to avoid it due to the "dentist connection"

I can't remember at school knowing anyone or having any friends that had been to this school even though it was so very local to where we lived.

TELL ME ABOUT IT!

One of my dentists said to me once "that's a mouth of metal you've got there!"

I found out later that dentists then got paid for every filling they did. In other words they were on a bouns scheme ;-)

I always remember one of the dentists there used to wear a fur hat! Made him look like a Russian chap... Perhaps he was?

Some of the kids though at Hurlfield and I suspect Norfolk too, used the yellow check up cards as an excuse to go home early, if they were in the afternoon. I remember at Hurlfield the headmaster saying you can still get back to school with a 2pm dental check up! So unless it was after 3pm you had to return or get into stick!

Spot on there History Dude.

However, you are sort of indicating here that you actually went to Hurlfield yourself !!! :o:blink::wacko:

Not many Hurlfielders would want to admit that to a bunch of Norfolk lads like me, Stuart, Steve and wayneybabes as Hurlfield were our local rivals (or "the enemy" as some would say) B)

Having said that, in 1977 I did my first teaching practice at Hurlfield.

This is where Hurlfield Road joins Mansfield. In the middle of this one you can see the subway railings. In the 70's at this point on that road I was knocked down by a green Ford Cortina. It only just tapped me, so the man and woman took me home in the car. All I had done was bad cut on my knee. I found out later they were friends of a relation of mine.

The junction itself same time! Manor Top doctors in the trees, still a doctors today. And Manor clinc further along.

Back to my pocket instant camera for this 1989 shot. The building on the left is the bakery and the distant building is the shopping center. The reason this bit of road was still there was due to it being the old private road of the Duke of Norfolk, well what was left of it!

Good pictures History Dude, nice to see Manor Top as it was