Manor Top Subway

Guest wayneybabes

You're welcome jase29, and I am glad you are enjoying all the site has to offer and participating in it by posting your own memories.

It's certainly nice to have a member who can remember taking part in the painting of the subway.

No one has mentioned it before but I think you are right, it was the history of transport rather than just a street scene.

Wonder who painted the horse, - bet that took some doing.

Guest wayneybabes

Your in luck the Manor Star from 1978!

Many thanks, just what i was looking for

another sheffieldhistory scoop :rolleyes:

Many thanks, just what i was looking for

another sheffieldhistory scoop :rolleyes:

Good init wayneybabes, - full marks to history dude for that one.

Guest Cyberman

Hi all, Im sure there used to be a public toilet at the netto/Asda side of the underpass which if I recall didn't have a roof over the urinals only over the 1 cubical that was in there. Can remember taking a pee at night in there and being able to look up at the star constilations and then looking back down at my wet doc martin boot!!!

Was this the place ?

image courtesy of Google

Link to Flash Earth

I think you are right there Steve as these are the ONLY public toilets at Manor Top

Did they ever appear in Stuarts "Public Conveniences" topic?

I think you are right there Steve as these are the ONLY public toilets at Manor Top

The old toilets were used as storage by the Council Cleansing Department,

a now departed neighbour and friend was a street cleaner at Manor Top,

his cleaning equipment, barrow, brushes and shovels etc, were kept in there.

Yes, here they are Dave ..

Yes, here they are Dave ..

Fancy me forgetting that Steve, - it was me who posted it in there in the first place in my "toilet tour of south east Sheffield" as Stuart called it.

Fancy me forgetting that Steve, - it was me who posted it in there in the first place in my "toilet tour of south east Sheffield" as Stuart called it.

Walked passed it today on my way to Manor Top.

It's still there but the toilet entrances are gated up and padlocked so I am not sure if they are permenantly closed now or if they are "part time toilets" that open at certain times.

Hi all, Im sure there used to be a public toilet at the netto/Asda side of the underpass which if I recall didn't have a roof over the urinals only over the 1 cubical that was in there. Can remember taking a pee at night in there and being able to look up at the star constilations and then looking back down at my wet doc martin boot!!!

Quite a lot of this style of public toilet had no roof.

So had it been raining it wouldn't just be your boots that got wet ;-)

Handy having no roof though, like you said you can study the star constellations, - and it also means the Police helicopter can keep an eye on things to make sure there is no Criminal activity or funny business going on in there lol

Quite a lot of this style of public toilet had no roof.

So had it been raining it wouldn't just be your boots that got wet ;-)

Handy having no roof though, like you said you can study the star constellations, - and it also means the Police helicopter can keep an eye on things to make sure there is no Criminal activity or funny business going on in there lol

Stop it Dave, you had me rolling on the floor after reading that he he

Stop it Dave, you had me rolling on the floor after reading that he he

It's not that funny Steve.

We used to be well served with these free to use punlic conveniences.

Now, most of them have either been demolished or are permenantly closed and locked up like this one at Manor Top.

Why?

Is it because they were considered good hideouts and relatively safe places for certain types of crime like drug dealing or even drug taking (you sometimes found used hypodermic syringes in them, - who, other than a desperate drug addict, would inject themselves in such an unclean, unhygenic place as a public toilet, with the increased risk of infection that would present.)

Or is it because they became the favoured haunts of predetoary sexual perverts who hung around these places waiting for some "victim" to come along. Sensible young ladies, who would be the "main targets" of such an attack would deliberately avoid such places if they were alone and only went into them in groups (as women do) BUT, even some mens toilets were not that safe and if you really needed to go to the toilet while out and about you felt very uneasy going into certain ones. As a friend of mine once put it "If you drop a 10 bob bit (50p coin) on the floor in there you need to kick it to the door before you dare bend down to pick it up!"

Then there are the younger juvenile delinquents who go in there not just to terrorise their victims, but to deliberately graffiti the walls with obcenities, smash the place up and vandalise it so that it would be unusable anyway and would cost the council a lot of ratepayers money to continue to offer us a "free" service.

I am absolutely sure that it is issues like this, involving crime, that have caused us to loose these public conveniences.

Now that's not funny for law abiding rate paying citizens who just may have the need for a toilet after a night out in the pub.

Guest Giddeon

Hi, my first post here on what is probably a dead topic but.. if there are others googling their history and want to know about the manor top then they're gonna end up here too. So, Here is a link to the 'Bakery side' of the underpass at Manor Top.

https://www.hpacde.o...jpgh/t04207.jpg

hope someone finds this as interesting as me :)

EDIT: Oh and if anyone's forgot what the bus shelter used to look like outside the newsagents opposite the elm tree pub, it was one of these beefy things.

https://www.hpacde.org.uk/picturesheffield/jpgh/u02056.jpg

I used to flip myself over the bars in the middle and my hands would smell of rust for hours afterwards :)

Hi, my first post here on what is probably a dead topic but.. if there are others googling their history and want to know about the manor top then they're gonna end up here too. So, Here is a link to the 'Bakery side' of the underpass at Manor Top.

Welcome to Sheffield History Giddeon and thank you for posting the link to a very interesting picture of the old Manor Top underpass.

Pictures like that are hard to come by as no one ever bothered to take many while the underpass was actually open and in use, many thanks for sharing it with us.

This is not a dead topic, it has a small core of regular followers, me (DaveH), wayneybabes and suzy to name 3 and several others who join in occasionally.

We are all from this area and lived on the Arbourthorne. We regularly contribute to this topic and a few others that you may be interested in

Norfolk School, Arbourthorne

Arbourthorne Playing Fields

Northern Avenue Shopping Centre

If you are from this area you will probably be interested in these. If you went to Norfolk School then you will be the 21st known member of Sheffield History to be one of it's ex-students.

Enjoy what we have to offer here and if you can contribute to any of them please feel free to do so.

Walked passed it today on my way to Manor Top.

It's still there but the toilet entrances are gated up and padlocked so I am not sure if they are permenantly closed now or if they are "part time toilets" that open at certain times.

I had forgotten all about this until I was inspired to look back over it by Giddeon.

Perhaps it has become a dead topic after all :o

When we were discussing the Manor Top public toilets and their current state of use I took this picture which I then never got around to posting

Guest wayneybabes

EDIT: Oh and if anyone's forgot what the bus shelter used to look like outside the newsagents opposite the elm tree pub, it was one of these beefy things.

https://www.hpacde.o...jpgh/u02056.jpg

I used to flip myself over the bars in the middle and my hands would smell of rust for hours afterwards :)

Welcome Giddeon and thanks for the pics

i know the pic of the bus shelter was an example but am i correct in assuming the location of the shelter is at hollinsend?

btw: i know what you mean about the smell of rust lol

Hello and welcome.

All old photos of our town, even seemingly mundane ones, are worth sharing and saving on here.

I'm sure you'll have more tucked away somewhere.

Keep them coming, the more the merrier.

Hello and welcome to the Site Giddeon.

Though I'm from the other side of town I went past both of your pictures many times as I had (and have) relatives to Gleadless.

The advantage of this being a History site is that no topic ought to be considered dead; merely resting until someone like you happens along with more details, the odd tale or two or pictures to update and remind.

Thanks for the pictures.

Guest Giddeon

Hello everyone, thanks for the welcome :)

Well about the bus shelter, it's actually in this photo

https://www.hpacde.org.uk/picturesheffield/jpgh/u04506.jpg

you can see it on the left, and i think that zebra crossing at the top was there when i lived at the manor top. I was a few month old up to about 7 years old when i lived there, a little bleeder but i grew up ok. I'm interested in the manor top because my grandparents lived there too and it's only in recent years i realised we lived in one of the largest geometricly shaped road systems i've ever seen! We lived on Fitzhubert Rd and my grandparents on Windy House Lane. Our house is one of those that knocked down :( I've been looking for some kind of picture of it ever since. I think i've found something on that brilliant historical photograph site but in the 1930's and they're aerial so not even sure our was built then.

There was a sweet shop on Wulfric Rd, and i remember it but not as well as i'd like, it's still there on google earth on street view but its all boarded up. Used to drop in there most morning with my mom and get some spice and a bag of crisp :) Another thing too, been looking at very old releases of sweets and long forgotten stuff like tomato flavoured wotsits that noone remembers and arguing that monster munch had 'spicy' flavour and not 'hot' and they were in an orange bag and noone remember s them either! (I miss Smiths Crisps, Rowntrees and Terrys).

Eh, i could go on all day, but I might ask a question or two of you knowledgable people. Can you please tell me what the name of the shop was that used to be gateway? I remember it as Tescos (now) before that somerfield, before that gateway then before that it was something else but i cant remember what. Also I'm 99% certain that there was a frozen food shop at the top outside where Fine Fare used to be but cant remember where and it's driving me barmy. Oh and how long has the Manor Top Fish Bar been there? I've been going there all my life and I'm 34 so i'm very curious.

Anyways, better leave it there, rabbiting all day if i didnt hehe.

Thanks again everyone :)

Eh, i could go on all day, but I might ask a question or two of you knowledgable people. Can you please tell me what the name of the shop was that used to be gateway? I remember it as Tescos (now) before that somerfield, before that gateway then before that it was something else but i cant remember what. Also I'm 99% certain that there was a frozen food shop at the top outside where Fine Fare used to be but cant remember where and it's driving me barmy. Oh and how long has the Manor Top Fish Bar been there? I've been going there all my life and I'm 34 so i'm very curious.

Anyways, better leave it there, rabbiting all day if i didnt hehe.

Thanks again everyone :)

Hi Giddeon.

When the Manor Cinema closed in 1969 it reopened as a Supermarket.

Originally it was called the CHALLENGE supermarket as can be seen in this 1971 picture

This is the supermarket that later became, as you state, Gateway, Somerfield, and currently Tesco Express.

Was the frozen food shop on the row of shops between the Manor Cinema building (a supermarket) and the Manor Medical Centre / Library?

Manor Fish Bar has been there a long time but it has changed ownership and name, most people remember it as BECKETT'S fish and chip shop

Don't worry about rabbiting on if it's about Manor Top, just keep the questions coming and we will try our best to answer them.

Hello everyone, thanks for the welcome :)

Well about the bus shelter, it's actually in this photo

https://www.hpacde.o...jpgh/u04506.jpg

you can see it on the left, and i think that zebra crossing at the top was there when i lived at the manor top. I was a few month old up to about 7 years old when i lived there, a little bleeder but i grew up ok. I'm interested in the manor top because my grandparents lived there too and it's only in recent years i realised we lived in one of the largest geometricly shaped road systems i've ever seen! We lived on Fitzhubert Rd and my grandparents on Windy House Lane. Our house is one of those that knocked down :( I've been looking for some kind of picture of it ever since. I think i've found something on that brilliant historical photograph site but in the 1930's and they're aerial so not even sure our was built then.

So it is the shelter at Manor Top, the one that was on Mansfield Road.

Given the places that you and and your family lived on the Manor did you go to Norfolk then?

Or was it Hurlfield / Myrtle Springs?

Or possibly Waltheof, Ashleigh, City or some other local school?

Welcome Giddeon and thanks for the pics

i know the pic of the bus shelter was an example but am i correct in assuming the location of the shelter is at hollinsend?

btw: i know what you mean about the smell of rust lol

The shelter in this photo was on Ridgeway Road, near the junction with Hollinsend Road.

Guest wayneybabes

The shelter in this photo was on Ridgeway Road, near the junction with Hollinsend Road.

yes, thats the one i meant, thanks madannie!!!!