Seems like yesterday 1974-1975 season

dunsbyowl1867

I noticed this and as it was the first season I had a season ticket these events seem far more vivid than things that happened last season.

Dark days!

http://www.wsc.co.uk/content/view/2600/29/

I showed up week in, week out watching grim displays; even saw Ken Knighton clamber into the South Stand to retrieve the ball. Just how close did we come to the 4th Division ?

I noticed this and as it was the first season I had a season ticket these events seem far more vivid than things that happened last season.

Dark days!

http://www.wsc.co.uk/content/view/2600/29/

Truly grim indeed. I remember the game against Manchester United as myself & my dad sat in the South Stand as opposed to being in our usual haunt - the Leppings Lane end - because of the Man Utd fans' reputation at that time. A wise move, as there was lots of trouble. How did we score 4 in one game? I also remember the 3-3 draw at Notts County, where some Notts County player scored a hat-trick in a very short space of time. The sight of a three-quarter empty Kop also stands out in my mind.

Guest owl capone

Truly grim indeed. I remember the game against Manchester United as myself & my dad sat in the South Stand as opposed to being in our usual haunt - the Leppings Lane end - because of the Man Utd fans' reputation at that time. A wise move, as there was lots of trouble. How did we score 4 in one game? I also remember the 3-3 draw at Notts County, where some Notts County player scored a hat-trick in a very short space of time. The sight of a three-quarter empty Kop also stands out in my mind.

It was Ian Scanlon at Notts County who scored 3 in about 2 minutes!!. We had led 1-0, but still pulled it back to draw 3-3.

Remember the last game of the season at Hull .We took 30 coaches and the team ran out and across to all the Wednesday fans over on the side terrace, lined up and applauded us. We still lost 1-0 like we did so many times that season :angry:

I showed up week in, week out watching grim displays; even saw Ken Knighton clamber into the South Stand to retrieve the ball. Just how close did we come to the 4th Division ?

The next season Wednesday had to win their last match to avoid relegation which they did 2-1 against Southend at Hillsborough

Guest owl capone

The next season Wednesday had to win their last match to avoid relegation which they did 2-1 against Southend at Hillsborough

Interesting fact there is the way the tables were compiled.

We finished on level points with 2 other teams but were below them .Nowadays we would have finished above them both as we had a better goal difference :blink:

Interesting fact there is the way the tables were compiled.

We finished on level points with 2 other teams but were below them .Nowadays we would have finished above them both as we had a better goal difference :blink:

Back in those days the order was determined by goal average rather than goal difference. Goal average was number of goals scored divided by goals conceded.

Wednesday's goal average was 0.813, Swindon's was 0.827 and Grimsby's was 0.838, hence the order of the table. The 1975/76 season was the last in which goal average was used, goal difference being introduced the follwoing season.

I went to 38 of the 42 league games that season an all 42 the season after. While the football was dire there was a group of us who through it all had a great camaraderie and would try not to miss a game. even the players were on first name terms with us as we were easy to spot in most of the almost empty stadiums. We traveld as far south as Portsmouth and up to Carlisle. To me its what being an Owl is all about. Anyone can support Man Utd or Chelsea but true supporters stick with their teams whatever adversity they go through.