Norman Curtis RIP

dunsbyowl1867

Tue 08 Sep 2009 Sheffield Wednesday is saddened to learn of the passing of former player, Norman Curtis. Norman, 84, died on Monday (7th) following a period of illness.

The tough-tackling defender made 324 appearances for the Owls in a decade-long stay at Hillsborough that spanned 1950 to 1960.

He became established as first choice in the Wednesday starting line-up for almost all of the 1950s, winning Division Two championship medals in 1952, 1956 and 1959.

Any memories of Norman?

Tue 08 Sep 2009 Sheffield Wednesday is saddened to learn of the passing of former player, Norman Curtis. Norman, 84, died on Monday (7th) following a period of illness.

The tough-tackling defender made 324 appearances for the Owls in a decade-long stay at Hillsborough that spanned 1950 to 1960.

He became established as first choice in the Wednesday starting line-up for almost all of the 1950s, winning Division Two championship medals in 1952, 1956 and 1959.

Any memories of Norman?

Thanks for the memories Norman,well remembered for your no nonsense approach to your job in those happy long gone days

Guest davekowl

I remember my Uncle John taking me to Hillsborough to see Wednesday play Rotherham in the County Cup when I was about 8 years old in the early 50s.

We stood under cover of the old stand where the north stand is now. Wednesday lost 1-0 and I remember Norman missing a penalty near the end of the

game (which was attended by well over 30,000) and me being distraught.

Even though it was all those years ago I remember Norman playing as though his life depended on it and watched him for many years after and never

saw him give less than 100% .

God bless Norman and thanks for the memories.

Saw Norman against Blackpool he played Stan Mathews out of the game he was a real terrier RIP.

Any memories of Norman?

Guest withitowl

I remember Norman playing against Blackburn Rovers when Dobing,Douglas & Dougan played for them, the snow had been cleared from some of the pitch, it was one of those games where either side could win and those three were a trio to be reckoned with. The match kicked off Dougan passed the ball to Dobing who in turn thought he was passing it on to Douglas, thankfully Norman got there first, taking the ball and leaving Douglas in the snow piled up at the side of the pitch, Douglas quickly lost interest in the game from that moment. Off the field Norman was a gentleman he always had time to talk to you and discuss things with you.