Sheffield Made

RichardB

Hi there,

I could add that Richartz from Solingen - Germany is the same of Richards from Sheffield - England. We can read in the Goin's Encyclopedia of Cutlery Markings: "Richards Sheffield England - c. 1934-1982. Located at 55 More Street, Sheffield, England, the business was began about 1934 by Richartz Brothers of Solingen, Germany. They sold it in 1977 to the Imperial Knife Company. Imperial operated it until 1982, when it was sold to Western Knives. This company specialized in the shell-handed knife".

I am assured that this item was used for cleaning buttons. It was inserted under the button and the two tines allowed the button to be lifted away from the underlying cloth. Cleaning of the metal/brass button could then be carried out without soiling the garment.

Ivory handles for the 'posh' house, wood for the poorer house / military use.

Hi,

I also have one of these implements, unlike Richard B mine has a turned wooden handle with a pointed end - my searches led me to this site and one other which gives the Patent detail (1925/26) and it is a knife for fruit such as Grapefruit, Oranges etc and the pointed barbed end is for removal of pips etc. go to the following site for detail:

http://www.wikipatents.com/gb/0253737.html

Interestingly mine has all the same makers details as Richard's but states 'Arundel St' instead of 'Harwood St' - does anyone know which is the earlier address?

I must say the secondary use as a tool for cleaning buttons is quite ingenious.

Thos Temporal, pair of knives, plain wooden handles.

The longer one says "Thos Temporal Sheffield" and T.T Special on the blade (other side blank)

Shorter one says "Thos Temporal Sheffield" and Diamond Edge on the blade (other side blank)

I haven't read all the way through so you may already know.

The short Thos Temporal one is a Marking Knife

The longer one is a Shoe Knife. Some people call them Leather knives.

Both of these types (along with many others) are still made in Sheffield by Jack Adams (Ex of Alma Street, now on Scotland Street)

Many of his products now have plastic handles but most also have the traditional beech handle as an option.

He gave me this 1970's catalogue today. Unfortunately the oldest he's got.

He's supplied me with Lino knives and Shoe knives for years. I sell them on to the trade.

There are 14 pages of products in this old catalogue, most of which he still makes.

Below are a couple from my own tool box.

I'll scan in the rest of the pages if you like.

You're not a mass murderer are you by any chance ?

:D

Freedom for Mass Murderers, I say lol

Unusual object, not entirely sure what it is, or was meant to be used for ...

This person doesn't know either :

The third item is also vintage and is made by, the stainless steel impressed with the maker's name - Wraggs, Harwood St. Sheffield England. I really don't know what it is - I feel it may be for stabbing pickled onions while my wife thinks it's some sort of paring tool. It has a registered number, on the other side of the stainless steel from the maker's details, which is 714316 and a patent number 253737.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VINTAGE-QUALITY-KITC...0QQcmdZViewItem

I now believe this may be a "nostril-reamer" for heavy "Snuff" users ... probably ...

As requested Richard.

The complete Jack Adams catalogue.

I/We will peruse at our leisure.

Thank you for your efforts, most interesting.

Whale Trademark knife, wooden handle, beautiful feel to it.

Blade says "SHEFFIELD MADE" and "MADE IN SHEFFIELD ENGLAND" on one side.

Other side has a Whale trademark.

Note notch near base of blade, and pointed tip.

Probably the oldest one I have, any info. gratefully received (especially if you can tell me where I put that list of trademarks, only noticed the whale whilst scanning this object)

Its a RICHARTZ Solingen- Post 1934 if made in Sheffield. Other marks included a tent or a lampost.

It looks a bit poor?

Mike

Its a RICHARTZ Solingen- Post 1934 if made in Sheffield. Other marks included a tent or a lampost.

It looks a bit poor?

Mike

My Father no doubt ruined it ! Certainly not in the best of condition.

Pathe News Sheffield 1930.

Interesting footage poor soundtrack.

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=80436

Pathe News Sheffield 1930.

Interesting footage poor soundtrack.

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=80436

See what you mean about the soundtrack syrup. :(

It's that bad I could hardly make out what was being said.

However, by 1930 they hadn't been doing sound films for very long, even though this one is only narrated and not lip - sync'ed, and electric sound recording was less than 10 years old, - still very new technology.

Wonder if our 21st century sound technology could recover it and clean it up a bit. <_<

Guest lazarus

Got one ...

Resilco Rustless, Nickel Silver

Made in Sheffield, England

I'm sure there were six of these ??

Nickel Silver doesnt rust its just a marketing ploy

Guest lazarus

I thought you might to see these, they are egg or coffee spoons made by the Atkin Brothers, Frank, Edward & Henry, they manufactured from their works in St Phillips Road between 1853 and 1958, usually the brother's were known for their traditional flat and holloware so these are quite unusual, my G Grandfather worked in the cutlery trade so these may have belonged to him, the styling would suggest they were made in the mid 1920's any more info would be much appreciated.

If these are silver plated they are not Egg Spoons, the inside of Egg Spoons are always Gold Plated because of tarnishing by the yolk of the egg, they may be a fruit spoon but they were normally fluted in the bowl, they could be a different style of ice cream spoon.

Guest lazarus

Unusual object, not entirely sure what it is, or was meant to be used for ...

assume its some kind of serving knife, rather like a cake slice, or could be for fish ... blunt

If its heavy and blunt and roughly the size of a table fork it could be what was described in the trade as a "Imbecile Knife" they were used in Mental Hospitals so the inmates could not really cut them selves and the weight of it helped to break up the food. THis one was made by Sippels on Cadman St Sheffield. I used to make similar knives at a firm called Lee & Wigfalls on John St Sheffield in the sixties.

Guest happygrinder

Mawhood "Instrument", not sure quite what to call this item, quite heavy, someone loved it enough to put their name on it !

Hi i am 99per cent certain this is a side scraper used in wood turning

Hi i am 99per cent certain this is a side scraper used in wood turning

Thank you happygrinder and welcome to SheffieldHistory.

Mawhood Brothers, edge tool manufacturers.

Their manufacturing mark was a palm tree,

Mawhood Brothers, Palm Tree works, Brightside Lane.

Kelly's 1881.

Mawhood Brothers, edge tool, file & steel manufacturers, Pond Hill.

White's 1901.

picturesheffield

F Whitehouse's Everwhite Silver, no mention of Sheffield, could be from anywhere, unless you know different (bought last weekend)

Does anyone know anything about F Whitehouse please; just had a PM, to be honest I'd forgotten all about this.

Does anyone know anything about F Whitehouse please; just had a PM, to be honest I'd forgotten all about this.

Set of Fiddle Handle Dessert Size Spoons Good Quality Imperial Silver Plate epns by Frederick Whitehouse of Sheffield.

Another ebay sale

Then on the other hand there's this from www.silvercollection.it

Frederick Whitehouse, Lion Works - Birmingham

------------------------------------

FREDERICK WHITEHOUSE

Birmingham

(1892)

Spoons, forks, etc., electro-plated on

a metal alloy

Ref. 1892, 1972

Source

Hallmarks on base metal

Guest DownBroadway

Well, Richard B, I too have a similar knife to the one in your picture and mine was made by a Company called "J Nowill & Sons". I acquired this knife when I was in the 287th Sheffield (Skyscraper)Scouts and I think it was awarded as a Prize as a Patrol Leader. Everyone had one in the Scouts in the 50's and 60's as they were essential for camping etc. Bet you'd get hauled in by the fuzz if you carried one around with you now though!

The pieces you have shown are great and I have a passing interest in the Sheffield Cutlery trade: 1. Because being a lifelong Sheffielder I think it's part of our heritage (along with the Steel) and 2. My dad worked as one of the directors at Jospeh Rodgers before the factory closed its gates for good.