Sheffield Made

RichardB

Nothing to do with Sheffield, but, this set of six, belongs on this thread, bought them at the weekend; the box label made me laugh

Irlam is halfway between Manchester and Warrington (between junction 11 and 12 M62)

Probably mass produced in China, but ... purchased from Woolworths at Hillsborough, Easter 1974

Very nice RichardB brings back memories of my time working in the cutlery trade.

Although I only spent a few years (11 to be precise) I still look at every knife, fork & spoon I use to see if the workmanship is up to Sheffield standards, it rarely is :(

The bolsters on that carving set I well remember, every bolster has to be cleaned up on a carborundum wheel and later polished on a felt wheel... happy days.

That reminds me of a story my old boss told me. In the 60's he went to London on business, and was wined and dined at one of the famous restaurants, the Ritz or similar. Being Sheffield born and bred he looked at the cutlery while they were waiting for their meal, and it wasn't Sheffield. A few minutes later the head waiter came over and asked if everything was alright. So, jokingly he said "Well, this isn't Sheffield cutlery". The head waiter immediately clicked his fingers and waiters descended from everywhere, whisked the entire table setting away in the tablecloth and reset it, this time with Sheffield cutlery!

That reminds me of a story my old boss told me. In the 60's he went to London on business, and was wined and dined at one of the famous restaurants, the Ritz or similar. Being Sheffield born and bred he looked at the cutlery while they were waiting for their meal, and it wasn't Sheffield. A few minutes later the head waiter came over and asked if everything was alright. So, jokingly he said "Well, this isn't Sheffield cutlery". The head waiter immediately clicked his fingers and waiters descended from everywhere, whisked the entire table setting away in the tablecloth and reset it, this time with Sheffield cutlery!

Bought approximately another 40 items today of Sheffield stuff, will scan/photo and post. Nice story Bayleaf :rolleyes:

I thought you might to see these, they are egg or coffee spoons made by the Atkin Brothers, Frank, Edward & Henry, they manufactured from their works in St Phillips Road between 1853 and 1958, usually the brother's were known for their traditional flat and holloware so these are quite unusual, my G Grandfather worked in the cutlery trade so these may have belonged to him, the styling would suggest they were made in the mid 1920's any more info would be much appreciated.

Guest garthbanks

Unusual object, not entirely sure what it is, or was meant to be used for ...

This person doesn't know either :

The third item is also vintage and is made by, the stainless steel impressed with the maker's name - Wraggs, Harwood St. Sheffield England. I really don't know what it is - I feel it may be for stabbing pickled onions while my wife thinks it's some sort of paring tool. It has a registered number, on the other side of the stainless steel from the maker's details, which is 714316 and a patent number 253737.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VINTAGE-QUALITY-KITC...0QQcmdZViewItem

I have one of these 'Pickle forks?' which I bought in a charity shop about 10 years ago. It has a leading place in my after dinner 'what is it' collection. No-one has been able to identify it yet! I thought it might have a use in picnics or finger buffets as it can be use one handed like a 'spork". It is a bit big for lobsters. I can be used as a knife or a fork but has been described as an antique serving utensil recently. It probably requires a visit to the patent office to solve the problem. I have not found ony information about Wraggs or their successors. Is anything known.?

Guest Kirkholm

Unusual object, not entirely sure what it is, or was meant to be used for ...

This person doesn't know either :

The third item is also vintage and is made by, the stainless steel impressed with the maker's name - Wraggs, Harwood St. Sheffield England. I really don't know what it is - I feel it may be for stabbing pickled onions while my wife thinks it's some sort of paring tool. It has a registered number, on the other side of the stainless steel from the maker's details, which is 714316 and a patent number 253737.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VINTAGE-QUALITY-KITC...0QQcmdZViewItem

I am assured that this item was used for cleaning buttons. It was inserted under the button and the two tines allowed the button to be lifted away from the underlying cloth. Cleaning of the metal/brass button could then be carried out without soiling the garment.

Ivory handles for the 'posh' house, wood for the poorer house / military use.

Whale Trademark knife, wooden handle, beautiful feel to it.

Blade says "SHEFFIELD MADE" and "MADE IN SHEFFIELD ENGLAND" on one side.

Other side has a Whale trademark.

Note notch near base of blade, and pointed tip.

Probably the oldest one I have, any info. gratefully received (especially if you can tell me where I put that list of trademarks, only noticed the whale whilst scanning this object)

I wonder if the Whale trademark has some foreign influence, I have a Fiske Kniv with the Whale mark, but Foreign made,

i picked this up some years ago at a cafe in Sheffield that had a boxfull of penknives for sale 10p each most marked Solingen but came from a Sheffield factory probably old stock, I got a couple of quids worth some with views on the scales but the youngest sons claimed them :rolleyes:

I wonder if the Whale trademark has some foreign influence, I have a Fiske Kniv with the Whale mark, but Foreign made,

i picked this up some years ago at a cafe in Sheffield that had a boxfull of penknives for sale 10p each most marked Solingen but came from a Sheffield factory probably old stock, I got a couple of quids worth some with views on the scales but the youngest sons claimed them :rolleyes:

Politely threaten to beat youngest son to death; or, ask him for photos ....

Guest Smiling-Knife

Well, this one is a knife, obviously, anyone got any ideas about the date of manufacture, or know anything of the Company; some postings will be well known, some less so ... more to come ...

Details :

William Rodgers "I CUT MY WAY" on one side of blade

MADE IN SHEFFIELD

ENGLAND on the other side.

William Rodgers was cutler early mid 1800s. In the 1850s the name and trademarks 'I cut my way' and the mezzaluna-like symbol were acquired by John Clarke & Sons. That is the company that made this knife circa 1950-1970s. John Clarke & Sons ceased making knives in the early 1980s.

William Rodgers was cutler early mid 1800s. In the 1850s the name and trademarks 'I cut my way' and the mezzaluna-like symbol were acquired by John Clarke & Sons. That is the company that made this knife circa 1950-1970s. John Clarke & Sons ceased making knives in the early 1980s.

Thanks for the info :rolleyes:

This little knife has got YORK stamped on the widest blade, which I have not come across until now. Can anyone shed any light on this? Was it common practice on WALKER&HALL knives? Why stamp YORK on a Sheffield knife? (come on Richardb & smiling knife, make an old man happy) :huh: Don't want to brag, but have unearthed my 3rd WILLIAM RODGERS penknife! :rolleyes:

Hi... Nice looking lobster knife. Is there anything stamped on the reverse of the tang with York?

Good evening my friend, no, there's nothing on the reverse, and not much wear so I presume it was never stamped. Have you checked my latest post on my Sheffield penknifes thread? Been talking to a guy who reckons there was quite alot of cottage industry manufacture of knives arround sheffield including using parts purloined from factories, but information is hard to come by as anyone involved at the time would obviously not broadcast what they were involved in, and these knives did not carry manufacturing marks. I have got a HUGE multi tool bone handled penknife which is old and of quite good quality but which does not appear to carry any makers marks whatsoever! Will post pics if you fancy a look at it.

Guest Smiling-Knife

Hi zorro. Sorry I missed you later last evening. My hypothesis was going to be that your kinife was made by Walker and Hall for a York based retailer. If there was name, we might have traced it. Oh well... I am definitely intrested in seeing any knives you have. Your multi-tool sounds very interesting. Please post pics.

The first one was my grandads a Hadfields penknife similar to yours zorro

The next one has a plastic false mother of pearl outer of Richards make

Guest Smiling-Knife

Hi knightstemplar. That is a great looking knife. Hadfield was a steel manufacuter. I think this was a promotional item made for them by a Sheffield cutlery company... maybe using their steel???. Your knife has a 'coffin' handle which is relatively rare compared to the more common sleeveboard lobster. It is a beauty.

Ooh coffin shape, never noticed the shape thought they were all like that. It is beautiful but has a few cracks in the pearl. Its funny that I never noticed the shape, I think i was concentrating on not cutting my fingers it snaps like a swiss army knife.

My grandad made spoons

Will have to ask dad where he worked. I seem to remember it was on the steep hill that runs from West Street to West Bar. My dad is the one in the RAF uniform.

Evening all. How are you, smiling knife? Will post big multitool pics later. I have been mulling over what you told me about RICHARDS starting out as RICHARDZ, and while reading earlier posts on this thread came across a mention of penknives marked made in sheffield with a whale logo. Now this multitool has a whale logo and is stamped GERMANY underneath, and I vaguely remember the name RICHARDZ being mentioned as connected with a whale logo! Logic dictates this knife must have been made for export or GERMANY would surely have been DEUTCHLAND? So, did RICHARDZ manufacture knives in germany before setting up in Sheffield, and if they did was this whale their logo? Going for a lie down now, all this thinking makes my head hurt. :( Hi knightstemplar, I agree with smiling knife, that MOP is a BEAUTY! (trying not to sound jealous :angry: ) lol lol

Guest Smiling-Knife

I am very well zorro. How are you? You are correct. Richartz made knives in Solingen from circa 1900 and continued there after. The whale was one the trademarks along with the lamp post. Stephan Richartz started the company in Sheffield in 1932 and his brother Paul joined him in 1937. The named changed to Richards just before the WWII for obvious reasons. Thus, there are Richards and Richartz with whales and lamposts if that makes sense. The knife was made for export, and most likely the US. If it was made for the domestic German market, there would be no need to mark it with the country of manufacture.

p.s. note can opener attachment is likely WWII or earlier.