Swallownest

Guest Susieeff1

Guest Susieeff1

Hi

Does anyone have any old pics of Swallownest from days gone by, I'm trying to find some for an elderly couple in their 90's who have lived in the village all their lives.

Thanks

Susie

Hello Susieeff1

found these from

http://www.francisfrith.com/swallownest/photos/

you have to pay for better quality ones.

The following extract from the Leeds Mercury details Swallownest as it was in August, 1900. The first glimpse of Swallownest is all that could not be desired, and one is almost tempted to withhold criticism. At one time it might have been specially favoured by "Les Hirondelles". Today it is favoured by common colliers, who are more interested in canaries than swallows.

The village has demoralised to a very sordid place indeed. Within living memory it consisted of about a dozen cottages disposed in a dry little depression of the land.

Colliers are the Swallow Nest -ites of human shape, and they rarely migrate, or, if, circumstances should compel them to do so, they rarely return. Their nests are not disposed singly with soft linings, but border a wretchedly built street leading down to the hollow. And their nestlings here play 'marrables' or shuttlecock, but it is possible to pat their shocks of head which look wonderfully clean. Despite certain defaults of physiognomy they are quite of the same earth as gentlemen's children; despite their clothes, they are quite as lovable and quite as loving.

On the far acclivity stands a respectable sort of house, boasting a long garden, which I found adorned with statuettes of philanthropists, philosophers and poets, each raised on it's own pedestal. Methinks by rights they should have represented Thomas Bewick, Gilbert White and Francis Orpen Morris.

Jont' Ward the Swallownest Innkeeper, once incurred the displeasure of Thomas Massey the poet-cobbler of Woodhouse. Massey outlived him, and wrote his epitaph, but as the family would not purchase it, he chalked it in bold characters on his tombbase.

His nick in chalk and his short measure;

Old Jont' has left his ill got treasure.

We'll toast him with 'good shutness' at our leisure.

There's a picture or 2 here as well

http://www.j31.co.uk/retailramblings.html

Guest transit

Hello Susieeff1

found these from

http://www.francisfrith.com/swallownest/photos/

you have to pay for better quality ones.

The following extract from the Leeds Mercury details Swallownest as it was in August, 1900. The first glimpse of Swallownest is all that could not be desired, and one is almost tempted to withhold criticism. At one time it might have been specially favoured by "Les Hirondelles". Today it is favoured by common colliers, who are more interested in canaries than swallows.

The village has demoralised to a very sordid place indeed. Within living memory it consisted of about a dozen cottages disposed in a dry little depression of the land.

Colliers are the Swallow Nest -ites of human shape, and they rarely migrate, or, if, circumstances should compel them to do so, they rarely return. Their nests are not disposed singly with soft linings, but border a wretchedly built street leading down to the hollow. And their nestlings here play 'marrables' or shuttlecock, but it is possible to pat their shocks of head which look wonderfully clean. Despite certain defaults of physiognomy they are quite of the same earth as gentlemen's children; despite their clothes, they are quite as lovable and quite as loving.

On the far acclivity stands a respectable sort of house, boasting a long garden, which I found adorned with statuettes of philanthropists, philosophers and poets, each raised on it's own pedestal. Methinks by rights they should have represented Thomas Bewick, Gilbert White and Francis Orpen Morris.

Jont' Ward the Swallownest Innkeeper, once incurred the displeasure of Thomas Massey the poet-cobbler of Woodhouse. Massey outlived him, and wrote his epitaph, but as the family would not purchase it, he chalked it in bold characters on his tombbase.

His nick in chalk and his short measure;

Old Jont' has left his ill got treasure.

We'll toast him with 'good shutness' at our leisure.

There's a picture or 2 here as well

http://www.j31.co.uk/retailramblings.html

....great find Vox - great topic for "Now &Then" pics anyone ?

My Parents live in the village, as did I for a bit in the arly 80's, I'd be interested to know what happened to the shops on the High Street, where the coop now stands?

On 07/09/2009 at 16:43, Susieeff1 said:

Hi

Does anyone have any old pics of Swallownest from days gone by, I'm trying to find some for an elderly couple in their 90's who have lived in the village all their lives.

Thanks

Susie

They may remember it looking like this    -----  

swallownest.jpg

• Like 1